Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Riding...sorta  (Read 1145 times)

kathypa

Re: Riding...sorta
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:03 am »

Lots has happened. Most of it not good.
Farmer thought one of  our fence posts was on his property. 830 dollars for a survey and we found our back property line was shifted by original farm owner to the right 20 feet. Our whole fence was on "his" property. I looked into it and since we haves used the land 40 years, technically It's ours.
Farmer is a sneak. After he agreed things would be left as they are, he tore out the trees on the corner. He tore out a tree on my neighbor's property too. Another neighbor had her property pins torn out.
Nice fellow. He has moved on to another field and I'm glad I don't need to see him. Like the terminator, he'll be back. I threatened him with legal action if he does anymore. Ugh.
Horses are doing well, but my choice of shelter is not good. The land slopes down into the open end of the shed. It has always been dry, but there's always been grass there. Dry lot, turns mud lot and water filters right into the shed. Add a round bale and horses in there most of the time and It's wet. Shoot.
So now a covered round bale feeder needs built. Not in January. Going to feed horses outside a few days and see if that helps. I feel like a guilty horse mom. It's a work in progress..
We love the new tractor. It fits into the shed and scoops poop perfectly.
Hubby clears trees and cuts the wood into the bucket and hauls it to the nice neighbors.
Made a bargain buy this weekend. I wanted a second Clinton Anderson saddle pad. Friend saw 2 of them on a local horseman page on Facebook.
$75 each! I could hardly refuse that. She bought one to resell and now hubby and I both have them. They don't slip!
Had a doctor's appointment today and snow forecast made me cancel..only to still be waiting on snow. Geez...
Well all for now..come on spring.

kathypa

I am in a magazine!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 03:59:03 am »

I was shocked when something I wrote was anyway. Well a question about saddle fit is. I was going nuts trying to make something work for Banjoboy last year. Loved the Circle Y with dropped rigging, but it walked forward. I sent a question about it to a saddle fit site on Trailblazer magazine. December's just came and I was reading and thought - that horse sounds just like Banjo! Then I realized it was Banjo. Anyway, she recommended a crupper if the saddle only moved a bit, but if it moved too much, either the saddle needed a saddlemaker to rework the billets (move them forward) or go for another saddle. The article is good and shows horses with different conformation and saddle angles. Anyway, hopefully my problem is solved and I hope my question helps others make difficult decisions.
   The horses have turned into 24/7 indoor pee and poop machines! OK they come out to drink and nose around.. I decided to try feeding them outside by hand and give the shed a dryout break. I fork hay to them off the round bale. Well I discovered I like seeing them outside! Spring will bring a long list of to-do's, but one is going to be to build a covered feed station for the netted round bale. I am tempted to roll it out, but afraid it will roll down the hill!
   Hubby had strep throat and has been home since Monday afternoon. He could have taken off work, but headed to work this morning because he can't stand to stay inside. Doc said he isn't contagious after meds kick in. I remember having strep when I was a kid and being so sick and it took a while to feel better. Modern medicine is wonderful!
I don't know what that man will do when he retires...

kathypa

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 04:24:26 am »

Well time flies when you are having fun! Almost April.
The farmer Ivan (the terrible) is about due to come ask us when fence will be moved. Well Ivan, we are doing our best. The back lot is completely fenced except for stringing electric fence inside.
Meanwhile, Ivan has made enemies with his land clearing.
He took down my neighbor's tree stand because he smooth talked the owner of an industrial park..or at least he said he talked to them. I doubt he talked to them at all. So the old fence row was torn out including the big tree.
He messed up another neighbor's driveway and never offered to fix it.
He uprooted trees by a stretch of a horse owning neighbors place and loosened her fence posts. Then she discovered another stretch of fence had most of the posts broken off at the ground.
Hubby was about to hand over the part we discovered was his.
Now It's not happening. We left open the land we found was ours and fenced stight back from the fence hubby put in last fall. Ivan can put his corn there just as it has been planted the last 40 years.
The tree stand neighbor said we can fence in his lot between his place. Farmer won't like that one bit because it is frontage he crosses to plant corn. We will leave a path. Neighbor said shut the sob out..we aren't like that.
Love having the horses home, but nice weather brings work.
We regretted letting that back lot grow up.
If Ivan keeps up, I'm going to his church elders to help. Mennonites aren't usually crazy..normally they are wonderfulneighbors. One Mennonite neighbor (his cousin that sold him the farm) already rebuked him about hounding us.   l hope it all works out without bloodshed lol.

kathypa

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:07 am »

Still kicking! If you were born with skinny genes, count your lucky stars. I was not. When I moved the horses home, I gave up Weight Watchers and you know what happens when you give up Weight Watchers...
Sigh...it could be worse.
It's bone dry in Pennsylvania! There is pretty much no grass. We fenced in the last part of our yard and some of the neighbors - a good neighbor, not the Mennonite - (with his permission). He has a nice flat spot so the new to me round pen was put up. Fencing was done Thursday. This morning I opened the gate to the round pen so they could graze that this morning and they are in the woods snoozing now. I shut the gate.
Hubby rode Belle in the round pen the other day, but I have no desire to ride - yet.  If I could find them all good homes, they would be gone - maybe. It's not fair to let them stand. Belle did fine for him. She came up and let him catch her when she saw the saddle. It was over 90 degrees and even the shade was hot...short ride...
He turned 60 in August and talk about midlife crisis...geez.
We had some problems, but are working on them. Neither of us want to start over.
I'm painting some barnwood directional signs for a friend's wedding and said I would paint "don't" on the back.
Going to Mammoth Cave and Churchill Downs in October - quick, cheap flight.
We are tenting! I bought him a nice 3 man (2 man really if you like to breathe) Marmot tent. Now I'll need to use it..
If weather is supposed to be rainy, that tent will stay home!
Not much else new. Waiting on fall and the return of the Mennonite, but maybe he will leave us alone - I doubt it, but maybe.

kathypa

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 02:49:49 pm »

Still breathing...
Sometimes I just want to give up though..
Banjo is blind in one eye.
No diagnosis and it just happened. Vet said it could have been an injury, thinning retina or mild non symptomatic uveitis.
He looks completely normal.  If I hadn't seen him stand while an apple rolled by his head, I might not of noticed.
I did notice something was disturbing him a couple of weeks ago. He was in a mood.
Now I know what it was.
I don't know if he will go completely blind because I don't know what caused it.
I'm not sure I want to know. Vet said he seems normal in the other eye
I had trailer ride training money put back for him this fall and just pulled it out and deposited it to spend.
Sometimes I feel like a target.
My brave front is crumbly today.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up