Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Riding...sorta  (Read 1130 times)

kathypa

Riding...sorta
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:45:57 pm »

Took a set of 10 half hour lessons in the fall. These were from the therapeutic riding place that I took them before.
The first horse they put me on was a bay draft cross. Thought I would split in two.
I asked for a regular horse the next time and met Callie, an appy mare.
She was good most of the time. Once she spooked at  cat walking by the door. I found myself carried to the middle so quickly the instructor missed it. Lessons were over and I skipped the winter ones. No thanks! Riding in January doesn't appeal to me.
Heading over now for the start of the next session.
Hubby is driving and might take the lesson too if he can.
Working on bringing my horses home. Belle first because she doesn't need the rich grass and in the fall Banjo and the pony.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:37:26 pm by kathypa »

kathypa

Re: Riding...sorta
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »

Well the lesson didn't happen.  I went in and asked if hubby can take lessons too and there was 4 riders scheduled. I was one. I asked if it was an experienced class and no, some were brand new. Now last time we were trotting patterns and this time I was with nonriders? Nope.
I almost quit and the instructor said she could have a class for hubby and I Wednesday evening. It costs more than double but it will only be the two of us. Not sure hubby will get along with the instructor, she is young and probably a student of a local snooty private college..we shall see.:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:39:31 pm by kathypa »

kathypa

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:36:09 pm »

I bought a new saddle!! I love it. It's a Tucker Gen II western endurance. No horn.
I picked it up Thursday. Friday, I took a brief ride on a very unhappy pony. He snapped at the change of girths, a change of pads didn't make things better and then there was that new saddle. He fussed. He had to have a training session at the mounting block. Oh boy.. Was in a foul mood all around.  I rode until he calmed down.
Saturday, I wanted to do a white towel test. Problem is..the towel kept blowing off
It was a horrible windy day.
I gave up and put a Clinton Anderson pad , a felt girth and he was a much nicer boy. I rode an hour in the round pen. He was so good that I opened the gate and rode him into the pasture. I went out and back a little way a couple times. When he got stupid a couple of times,  I shut him down with one rein  stops. He was mostly fine though so we rode on out and I was feeling relaxed. We went up the fence row. On the other side the farm horses were grazing.
Banjo was calm and so was I.
He fell over his own feet in the soft soil and I had a second to think..I'm falling off. I just rolled off and onto the ground. Didn't even knock the wind out of me. I got up and walked towards Banjo. He saw the soft woven cloth crop I carried and thought he was in for a beating. I just went over and hugged him and we walked back in. Oh to be tall enough to mount from the ground.
I called my friend who kept saying - ride and you won't fall off. Well I did! And it didn't hurt!
She wanted to ride and banjo was lazy. She ended up using a lead rope as a crop.
He had some calm laps around and was calm. He never put his head down like that for the barn owner. She loved my new saddle and she rides strictly English.
It was a great day. Hope there are many more like it. Could have skipped the trip part though. Kathy

kathypa

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:04:22 pm »

Back at lessons. Last week I was on a wonky half Arab QH on a slippery English saddle. It wasn't pretty and I didn't feel in control.
This week, I had a poor old sway backed mare who was lazy. Same slippery saddle.
Next week, I am back to Callie again. Western saddle. They have no safe horses to canter on that ride western.
Bummer..
Clearing the field out back is going slowly. Chain saws keep breaking and rain is around way too much.
Tack swap at saddle club this weekend and guess who got railroaded into doing most of the work? Starting to rethink this horse thing...but what do you do with critters you love?

kathypa

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 11:59:36 am »

Anyone want a slightly moody, nongaited gelding?
He's certainly not doing me any good.
No time to mess with horses except for occasionally hitting/brushing not beating/ them with a brush.
He stands and eats dollar bills. I would be tempted to turn him over to a "rescue, "  but I think it might kill me.
Meanwhile,  the clearing land by hand continues.  Yesterday, hubby took off half a day and the first hour into it,  I wanted to hire someone. We have 2 big brush piles and half another one and it took  close to 5 hours. It's nice what's done, but we will be into winter before it's all done. The horses are still at the farm. I finally told the barn owner that I felt we were being pushed out. She said not, but it feels that way. Going to be a big change feeding hay all year long. Not a good one. I won't be driving there twice a day or more and will know what's going on while they are here.
New farrier comes Tuesday. The regular one stood me up on the coldest day in March (or February?). He doesn't show up until 3 hours after he says he will. I am done. BO is having the old one out Thursday to do hers. Mine will already be done.
Wednesday's riding lesson was good. Callie is a horse I love and she has a nice familiar trot that I can feel relaxed on.
The instructor is attempting to talk management into letting me bring banjo there. Doubt it happens, but I tried. If not, I am going to find a place that will let me haul in. Maybe in the fall.
Very sad last week.
My brother's ex gf has colon cancer. We befriended each other on Facebook and she remembers good times at my home.
Another friend has a hubby that has a very bad heart and he's going in for surgery.
A friend's dog was killed and then I found out the farm dog was too. She wasn't even a year old
 My cousin is losing her business property and moving into a small office. She built her business all her life and now the bank is taking it both buildings and many things mom and I used when we worked for her will be auctioned off.
Too many memories are being stirred up...
Coming on 3 years since mom died. You know those stages of grief that Kubler-Ross did? I read the other day they are for the dying person and not the person left behind. I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with me that I just can't get over missing her. My first thought every morning is, I wish I could call Mom today. I have a feeling it will be my first thought on my last day on earth too.
Rain was supposed to come early today and it was supposed to rain all day. I finally gave up putting things off and mowed the grass.
Cooked real food for supper and not just a grab and heat...about time
Kathy

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:42:16 pm by kathypa »

kathypa

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:17:13 am »

Missing me some horses. Didn't ride Banjo once in April. Between land work, normal mowing and house work - it didn't happen. Plus I was sick and the cough lasted 2 long weeks. Just now getting some energy back!
One good thing did happen..hubby has come around about bringing the horses home. He put wooden posts along the front toward the road and wants to put woven boards and woven wire on that - he is more worried about the dog getting on the road than the horses though. The back lot will be steel posts - all will be electrified.
We have paid 2 guys to come and work on Saturday. Last Saturday, it was just hubby and I because we had some posts to cement in because the holes couldn't go deep because of rock. It is costing a small fortune, but it only needs done once.
The old black mare that is the BO's has come back to my herd. She was getting ouchy from the green grass so I am muzzling her and turning her out with mine.
When the BO put a muzzle on her, crazy Charlie scared her. Now she believes me about him. He is protective in an ugly way. I am glad he is in another field.
BO brought a new horse home. Pretty bay paint. Former owner said he has a bruised foot and a limp. Uh-huh...They rode him in the fields and he was OK. Another day they took him to the indoor and he pulled up lame. Owner called the farrier and he couldn't be bothered.
Speaking of...that farrier never did a good job on the horses. Belle was always way too long. He didn't show this winter and we waited hours for him in the cold. BO called him and he never answered.
My friend has a young man she just loves so I called him and he did my horses and the pony. He  was $10 more per horse - but what a difference!!! He did the pony for $20.
BO didn't want to change - her choice. She finally got hers done after my guy was there and gone. I was really happy with Belle's new short feet.
Worked last night cleaning new construction. Sawdust in my lungs..not sure this is going to work. Cough syrup night.
Taking a short trip to Memphis the end of the month. A friend will stay here and take care of the animals so I need to clean and clean some more!!
Well I got on here to pay bills..
Have a good ride for me!!

kathypa

Re: Riding!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:07:34 am »

Yesterday's lesson was wonderful. I rode Kallie the strawberry roan Appaloosa and realized at one point, it all came together. No I wasn't perfect, but for the first time in a long time, I wasn't worried about survival. I could focus on what felt right. Hard to explain... The manager is calling the lawyer and insurance company to see if I can haul banjo and maybe Belle there. I said I would sign any paper they put in front of me. Fingers crossed!

kathypa

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:53:09 am »

>:(  Belle needs to be off grass. I wanted a simple 3 strand electric fence. So far hubby put 50 wooden posts in. Picking up mesh fencing on the way home from work. Wood rail to go on top and then a strand of electric. So there will be 400 feet of fencing out there and no Belle. Why not put the rest of the posts (metal) in the back first? Then I can string the rest of the fence. Sometimes I wish I could steal the neighbors 6 boys.

kathypa

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 02:37:37 am »

Planned on moving horses home in late November. 
BO has been riding Belle and carrying her whip. Hubby said she could. Well Belle has been bad for her..no surprise because anything she rides goes bad.
So now when we go to farm, hubby's horse is gone, Banjo's good nonslip saddle pad is gone...he takes another saddle and wants to ride Banjo. No comment...lol.
Yesterday, I told her we would move as soon as the corn is cut..need to drop more trees. The gal who's taken over afternoons there, was lunging a free lease horse in the round pen. My round pen. I reminded BO that it's going with me and she said she's dismantling it soon. Very cold ..well hey..I'm the one being pushed out.
Then she dropped the bomb. My horses are getting moved to along the road. Hilltop pasture that has been eaten down to rock. No shelter and no stream..just a cracked tub for water.
Well if that's the case, they might as well be here.
I'll miss that pretty farm.  I've seen the kids grow up and a grandchild come.  Saw grandma go to heaven ..
Saw horses come and 3 die.
Who knew that the place would be taken over by a gal who went to school to be a horse trainer and ended up working at their office.
So now the panic sets in. It will be fine...it will.
I'm going to see a friend in Florida at the end of the month. Perfect timing.
Plus our club is having a show and tack swap Sunday..more to do!
Today, I'm picking up plywood to line the metal shed outside wall. Horse run in will be 10x18, Pony will need her own little
shed..maybe a calf hut.
Scary stuff ...but I knew it was coming...

kathypa

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 02:48:39 am »

Wow..it's been a while! I just reread what I had written about hubby being on board with moving horses. He did an about face on me! Said he might keep Belle there and bring Banjo and the pony home..so without his help clearing trees, everything stopped.  I fought muzzles all summer and gave up after one I paid $46 for lasted one night. I tried a breakaway halter on and it ended up broken and bucket was broken clear off the muzzle!

kathypa

Best thing I ever did!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:55:50 am »

The horses and the pony are HOME. They have settled in fine. Hubby has taken Belle on several mini rides through the yard and up and down the road. She does a "I don't want to go dance", but she is nosy and soon gives up. The other day a neighbor stopped to talk and she kept trying to stick her head in his truck.
My..I should have done this YEARS ago. The pen they are in now is not very big. Small level area with run in addition (10x18) to a bigger shed. Then hill with trees. It' s as safe as I can make it. Woven wire with electric on the inside. I still need to finish a place for the round bales to be stored. We have a dog kennel outside that only has the rabbit's coop in it. I am going to attach vinyl siding to the outside and make some type of roof. The round bale is in the addition for now...but that will change by next year. Need to build something...
No more muzzles!! I control the pasture - whoot!!
Hubby comes home and walks over to say hi to the horses every day. He tells me Belle wants to go for a ride - lol.
No I haven't ridden or done much with the horses except made a grazing area with just electric fence. I only let them out a couple hours a day and check every morning to be sure &^%$# deer haven't gone through. Eventually woven fence will encircle the whole back lot. It's hard work and I am surprised we have lived this long - lol...
Hubby wants to send Banjo to some girl Old Order Mennonite trainers next year to be hitched to a cart.  I think I could do it, but who has time?
Going to Florida next week to visit a friend. Hubby is holding down the fort...
Then I am coming home and riding my horse!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:19:49 am by kathypa »

kathypa

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:18 am »

goats over there!!! dog over there!!!
The pony came home later after all was calm in the field. It looks more like a dry lot now...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:26:40 am by kathypa »

kathypa

settled in..
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 03:09:47 am »

Trip to Florida is over. Had a wonderful time.
 My friend hit the jackpot of life. She inherited a third of a beloved aunt's estate. She and her hubby redid a lot of the spacious one story house on Tampa bay. In the morning, her hubby gets and works on 2 computer screens. He's a former building contractor who makes his living now looking for excessive costs on other's projects, some government, some private.
Fascinating...and he makes a good living.
They are both easy going people. Her hubby would rise early early and work. Some mornings he would go golfing.
We went to see Winter and Hope the dolphins, a one day trip to Disneyworld (very hot day), they belong to a boat club and we took a pontoon boat out, hunted shells on an island.
My last full day there, we went to homosassa springs and saw the manatees. I had been there before and what fascinating creatures they are.
It was a well needed vacation, but it set me back almost a month of my life.

kathypa

time lost..
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 03:41:48 am »

I had saved up the airfare for Florida by putting any found change in a big bottle. My first solo flight!
Coming home, I heard someone coughing on the plane..oh great.
Sure enough, I caught a nasty cold with a cough that still hits me in the middle of the night.
I have had no energy and we had some beautiful days that I barely got outside.
I'm lucky though. I know a lady who has dealt with it 6 weeks
The weather took a nosedive and last week we had a couple of 20 degree nights.
My water trough with heater wasn't near ready, plus there I was with no energy.
I bought another unbreakable trough from a local lady and had a rubber tub. They didn't freeze solid, but I broke ice in the morning.
 Horses survived, but the pony was angry in the morning because she couldn't break the ice.
Now It's warmer and the heater is installed, but the tank still has a tiny drip from a crack in the tub.
Project for this week.
Oh I almost forgot...hubby came home late from work the other day.
He bought a brand new John Deere subcompact tractor with bucket and post hole digger..
Our 18 horse Bolens that we use for snow plowing the driveway died (almost the same week its former owner did..freaky).
So we'll have a manure pusher, snow pusher and 5 years of interest free debt.

kathypa

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 05:29:43 am »

Mud mud mud!!
So freeze already. Horses are doing well, now I know when they are sleeping on the tree filled rocky hill in the rain when they could all go inside.
Tractor hasn't been delivered. It's 12 miles away. Snow was forecast so we asked if it could be delivered and they said yes, but the price would go up over 1000 because we didn't get post hole digger discount. No they couldn't finance the whole thing without delivering it..go figure.
Snow didn't amount to anything anyway.
Horses are eating $40 a week in hay. Gulp.
I am saving that in gasoline,  but hay man only takes cash..and I see it.
Going to worm them today. Rain coming and I'm afraid Jetty the collie will eat ivermectin laced poop.  Rain will keep him in and wash it away.
The things I worry about...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up