Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouth ulcers  (Read 630 times)

Topaz

Mouth ulcers
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:41:34 am »

Have any of you had experience with ulcers on the gums, mainly top gum right around the top of the teeth and up in the crevice of the gum and lip?  We have checked all the hay, the pastures and do not have the "foxtail" weed that is really hard and prickly.  We have foxtail grass in the hay but the heads aren't any more prickly than a timothy head.  The other interesting fact is only four of the six horses in the barn have this.  Two of the horses have been here for over two years.  The one mare came to the barn in May, my horse came in in June, a Thoroughbred off the track came end of July and another mare came about mid October.  We noticed the first mare having blood stains on her front leg about a month ago, then last Monday, the vet came to float teeth and saw it on my horse so we checked every one else and found inflammed and sore gums on the Thorughbred and one of the horses that have been there the longest.  The other two horses seem to be fine up to this point. The vet said it was foxtail but I honestly don't think it is.  I found one reference on a horse board about a strain of EHV causing this in a herd of horses at a university in midwest.  Just curious if anyone else has ever dealt with this?? Thanks, Crystal
Crystal, Harrisburg, PA  Kentucky Mtn & OTTB

LuvmyASB

Re: Mouth ulcers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:47 am »

I know that when my mare had the mouth ulcers it was due to Fox tail.  Sure enough I found it in the hay ....even small heads can cause sores.  I believe there are different varieties of Foxtail and other weeds that have awns or barbs.  That is when we decided to make sure the pasture was mowed through out the year to keep the heads from forming. I buy my hay bails now and make sure they don't have them before purchasing.  I used a white soft sock to wipe her gums and could see the barbs on the sock.  Their breath will smell.  I did make a warm water with salt and flushed her mouth. 

Iceangel

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:12:59 pm »

I bought hay from my neighbor for years until the foxtail took over.  Tried to convince him to get rid of it but he hasn't.  I would guess it is the fox tail causing your problem also.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:00:23 am »

We've bought hay for over 10 yrs. from same local grower (except for one summer when we bought our hay elsewhere because he'd gotten careless w/ baling and we were getting trash and moldy bales--he fixed it the following year).  And we were HAPPY when he started offering alfalfa/grass mix (his usual crop was 100% alfalfa, which we don't like to feed).  Didn't think much of it when we were seeing foxtails in the hay here and there--they didn't seem harmful (prickly) or very abundant.  But after feeding it for awhile, we realized that my husband's horse was constantly drooling, even to the point of having bloody/pus discharge from his mouth sometimes.  Got vet up here for floating and exam, and turned out that indeed it was foxtails.  She'd sedated him for floating and cleaned out several pockets where the foxtail awns had accumulated and were really nasty.  She cleaned his mouth well w/ chlorhexidine (sp?) and left us a small container of it to irrigate his mouth with for the next week.  We stopped feeding that hay immediately (switched to Bermuda hay at almost triple the cost, but that's a whole 'nother saga), and in the almost 7 months since then he hasn't had any recurrence.  With this and some other changes since then, his whole demeanor has changed. 
The guy at the feed store (where we buy our Bermuda hay) was sure that we were dealing w/ vesicular stomatitis.  I explained that almost the moment our vet cleaned out the awns and used the disinfectant, Ghost started improving.  He learned something that day.  Now we wonder--our neighbor's horse had been targeted and identified (and quarantined) as having VS the previous year--we've put two and two together and realized that most likely he was suffering from a foxtail reaction.  YES--foxtails and horses don't mix.  We found it a little odd that my horse wasn't as reactive as my husband's horse, but even he had little pockets of awns in his tongue and gums.  My advice: don't feed hay w/ foxtails, ever.  Unless, of course it's a matter of starvation otherwise.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:19 am »

anyone have a picture of the foxtail in the hay?  I saw pictures of it growing but in the hay it may look different.
NC

LuvmyASB

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »

Photos of it in the hay will depend on what time of the season it was cut. Some might make it in when the heads are small, some may be huge and ready to reseed when they are cut. So they will look a little differently.

Here is Foxtail Barley -  http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/03109.html

an article on it - http://www.westernhorsereview.com/blogs/foxtail-how-i-loathe-thee/

kckc

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 02:10:51 pm »

thanks!  very helpful
NC

LuvmyASB

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 04:42:54 am »

I am not sure if you will be able to see this post I am going to link here.  It is over on Facebook.  The Dentist just posted it 13 hours ago.  https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=594227697292360&id=125506854164449

FancyPants

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 08:33:34 am »

If the mouth ulcers are there from rubbing on teeth (like my mini had), the vet put some baking soda on - dried them right up and he was great!

kckc

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:23:12 pm »

oh pooh, checked my hay and it looks like my hay has foxtails in it.... I bought 40 rolls!   good hay otherwise, guess I'll just watch the horses and talk to the hay grower about getting rid of it.  It would be nice if what I'm looking at is some other plant.  guess I need to take it to someone to get a correct id on it.  I actually rubbed it across my lips and it doesn't seem to have any barbs on it but so maybe it just looks similar or maybe it was cut prior to growing the barbs?  aggh.... one more thing to worry and watch for.  *sigh*
NC

LuvmyASB

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 06:42:49 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up