verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perma stall bedding  (Read 913 times)

Hatcherdm

Perma stall bedding
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:23:34 am »

I have recently been reading about permastall bedding--it is made of treated rice hulls, and was wondering if any of you had any experience with it. I currently use wood pellets from TSC and am always looking for a better way of doing things. From what I understand, ther permastall needs to be 5-6 inches deep to woke effectively, and they reccomend removing the manure daily, but not removing the urine until it starts to show on the top of the bedding, generally every 4-7 days, depending on the conditions. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Diane from New Freedom, Pa
home to 4 icelandics and 1 TWH

OldnOrnery

Re: Perma stall bedding
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:59:09 am »

I haven't used this specific product, but rice hulls are widely available in California for bedding and are reasonably priced for the quantity in bales. Rice hulls aren't very absorbent and shed water. Horses will try to eat them until they are well mixed with soiled bedding or shavings.  They can cause impaction if the horse eats a lot. They brush out but cling to the coat because rice hulls are shaped like oat hulls, kinda torpedo-shaped and grippy. I don't believe rice hulls are non-allergenic, at least to my asthmatic lungs. I do know that they take a long time to compost. Because they stay so dry, they blow around if you live in a windy area. They also can get in a horse's eyes.

I mix them with sawdust, mini flake or other shavings-based bedding. Then the strong points of rice hulls work very well: they shed water on the surface, keeping it quite dry, while the urine sinks down and is absorbed by the shavings. I use this mixture in stalls and in the shelter (both have mats) and pick the shelter the way this product recommends. I do toss the wet bedding near the entrance of the shelter so that ammonia out-gases. In the stall, I pick out the wet bedding daily.

I bed 4-5 inches deep.

PAWalker

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:54:03 pm »

I haven't used this specific product, but rice hulls are widely available in California for bedding and are reasonably priced for the quantity in bales. Rice hulls aren't very absorbent and shed water. Horses will try to eat them until they are well mixed with soiled bedding or shavings.  They can cause impaction if the horse eats a lot. They brush out but cling to the coat because rice hulls are shaped like oat hulls, kinda torpedo-shaped and grippy. I don't believe rice hulls are non-allergenic, at least to my asthmatic lungs. I do know that they take a long time to compost. Because they stay so dry, they blow around if you live in a windy area. They also can get in a horse's eyes.

I mix them with sawdust, mini flake or other shavings-based bedding. Then the strong points of rice hulls work very well: they shed water on the surface, keeping it quite dry, while the urine sinks down and is absorbed by the shavings. I use this mixture in stalls and in the shelter (both have mats) and pick the shelter the way this product recommends. I do toss the wet bedding near the entrance of the shelter so that ammonia out-gases. In the stall, I pick out the wet bedding daily.

I bed 4-5 inches deep.

What a great review!  8)

I can see more than one reason why they would never work for me, even mixing them with shavings which would be "one more thing" to do.  I now have so many "one more things" at that barn, chores and feeding take double the time they used to take :o

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

Yep think I will stick to shavings myself.

pasolucy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:49:08 pm »

I use the pelleted bedding,  add water to the pellets to make a nice soft fluffy bedding and they are so easy to clean.   The urine clumps like cat litter and the horses love it.   The plus for us is that we spread the manure on the fields and the pelleted bedding composts very well and is easy to spread. 
Live, Live, Live, life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death

Willamette Valley, Oregon

Hatcherdm

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:22:58 am »

I was interested in anyone using the specific permastall rice hulls, as this is different from other types....but thanks anyhoo
Diane from New Freedom, Pa
home to 4 icelandics and 1 TWH
Pages: [1]   Go Up