verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable corral panels?  (Read 1557 times)

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Portable corral panels?
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:18:46 pm »

I brought up this question as a rabbit trail in another thread, but I think I'll get more responses if I make a separate thread.  A comment in the original thread got me thinking about what's "safe" to use for corral panels, esp w/ corrals that are side by side (common fence dividing).  We're getting ready to replace the Centaur flex fence dividers that are our current paddock fencing with "something" and first thought, at least for awhile (until we might can afford to have permanent welded ones built) was Priefert Utility panels, which is what our round pen is made from: http://www.priefert.com/Products/Horse/Utility_Panels_and_Gates
I wouldn't put a rank horse in something like this (as a run into a run-in shed), but curious what other folks have used that might be safer.  Under the run-in shed roof, we've built a really solid double wall that's 4 1/2' high by the full depth of the run-in (17'), and getting ready to put up a see-through divider at the top, because Ghost delights in reaching over the divider and biting Skeeter.  He bites HARD, and Skeeter's response is sometimes to kick the divider.  Sometimes they get along fine across the divider.  Often we look out and see them sleeping together==Ghost will have his head over the divider and almost touching Skeeter's face--both asleep standing up.  Skeeter will "threaten" a kick if Ghost threatens him across the fence, but hasn't ever kicked through the fence.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

Re: Portable corral panels?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »

I definitely wouldn't put a kicker into one of these corrals.  I don't even leave my horses in my riding ring for fear one will roll and get a leg in between the poles.  My mare has stood on the bottom rail on a pole fence and bent it, then broke it, really didn't take much to bend it - I probably have the economy brand though. 

Ramm Fence has some nice panels but they take some wood panels - look nice though

I found some stall panels that I like:
http://www.noblepanels.com/mesh-fencing.htm
NC

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:30:35 am »

We're planning on the Priefert corral panels because we absolutely want to get away from wood.  Our boys see "wood" and think "food". 
The Noble Ultra-mesh panels would be really good for a mare/foal, but not good for a kicker either.  Actually I think that only a solid wall or a space between horses is really good for a horse that really kicks out at a horse across the fence.  Until Ghost got here, we've been able to keep our horses together all the time, even when we had four horses in the same space.  All four knew the pecking order and life was good.  Unfortunately Ghost has very limited social skills and gets himself in trouble.  He picks, picks, picks @ Skeeter until Skeet has had enough, then Skeet will chase him and back up to him to kick him, and sometimes Ghost will try to "hide" in a corner.   They actually get along 98% of the time when they're in the big turnout together.  It's that other 2% of the time that is worrisome, plus when we need for both to have access to the run-in shed. 
Skeet LOVES to stand on the bottom rail of our pipe gate, so it's slightly bent, but it's just above ground level and he NEVER goes any higher than that, and a round pipe gate is way safer than any alternatives we know of. 
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:18:25 am »

I like those Prefert panels.  Make sure that any panel you buy has square corners, like Prefert.  Horses feet Can get stuck in those rounded kind, and they can break a leg, or tear their whole foot off.

I would go with a solid wood wall between and then line it with something.  Or check out MD Barns on internet.  They use a kick panel like material.  You could line wall with that.

One of my best horses, Lily, kicked through a 2x 12 and broke it.  I hung a tarp on the stall so she couldn't see the other horse.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:42:00 am »

@Walkin45, that's why we like this particular style of Priefert panels.  Many years ago, I had a round pen made from the kind w/ rounded "corners" on top & a space in between.  Vet was there one day to do something and told of having gone to do some work for one of our local ranches.  They'd had a colt (2 or 3 yrs. old) that (just before vet arrived to geld some ranch colts) that reared and got his front leg between two panels.  The connecting "pin" was a piece of steel pipe w/ the end cut and hammered together.  Sliced the leg open, shredded it and before the vet started on the other colts, he euthanized that one.  As soon as possible replaced those panels w/ safer ones.  I know that horses can find trouble where we don't even see it, but the more we can do to minimize chances for serious injury the better. 
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Myaj

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:55:46 am »

I like the panels that have the sort of "goat fencing" welded right to them.  You get the easy of the panel setup and strength, but the "goat fencing" keeps them from putting a leg through.  Like these:

There's two campgrounds that I go to that use standard pipe panels.  One for 10x10 stalls, the other makes round pens.  I've never seen a horse get hurt in the 10x10's but I have witnessed them try to climb out of them and judging by how many are bent already (they are only about 2 years old), many horses have tangled in them.  I only assume less have rolled into them because of the limestone base, no one wants to lay down or roll.  At the other campground that has the bigger round pens, they are nice and big, but the ground is sandy.  So horses love to roll.  And even with a big round pen, many tend to roll right by the fence and stick their legs through.  I've watched 2 horses do it so far, one with no injuries, one had a pretty banged up leg and was lame for a few months, I can only imagine if the horse really panicked or thrashed legs would be broken (both horses I saw do it were pretty calm horses that got themselves untangled or waited for help).

They also use these at Midwest Trail Ride for stall fronts... BUT they are lifted decently high and I think therefore, when a horse lays down or rolls, the bottom pipe is so high that they don't get a leg through due to the angle, they just bounce off it.  Its when they are flush with the ground that horses seem to stick their legs through.

Myaj

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:32 am »

Just to add, I don't think a panel like the above one would really stop a good hard kick either.. a real kicker horse should probably have an "alley" between them and the next horse over, even if its just a single strand of hot wire/tape keeping them a few feet away.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:11:03 pm »

Val, you can line wood fencing with no climb. That's what I did. Not one single nibble. They can't get any purchase to bite anything. I didn't have a ground rail because I've seen a horse hung up under those. It's impossible to keep the soil even against a ground rail, so it can trap a hoof.

I'm not a fan of pipe panel, tho they can be very convenient. I have some pipe in my runs but a very limited amount. It's nice because a whole side can be taken down for tractor access. Mine have straight posts.  I had a mare in the a pipe panel Mare Motel. She took exception to the gelding next door. The barn owner found her with her hind leg stuck over the 4th rail, about chest high.  She healed, but it took some of the jump out of her.

I also don't like the "C" bases. I've watched unbroken horses lose their footing and slip in the round pen. I shutter to think of a green horse's leg caught in one of those C bases or a horse cast with a leg caught in one of those C bases.

ShanainOregon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:32:24 pm »

Ok, i realize i am replying super late on this. Just want to say i used panels like that down south. One horse kicked the other in the middle of the night and got his leg wedged in there. Tore his leg up pretty good. He managed to get it out.  I was extremely fortunate the injury wasn't as bad as it could of been.  I will never use it alone as i divider fence again. EVER.  I've since relocated and had to use the same kind of fencing again.  This time i bought no-climb fencing sheets. Don't know what they are really called, but they are 5x12 and really solid. We attached those to each side of the panel. Very similar to the picture above except no-climb of both sides.  Made the panel very strong and, i felt, very safe too.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 06:18:46 am »

Yes, horse kicking through panel is my real nightmare.  BTDT.  The no-climb fencing sheets sound like a possible solution.  However, we've decided that our temporary solution is going to be to go back to our old way of managing our one acre horse enclosure--completely open.  We added the "catch pen" because we had a horse that liked to play serious games of "can't catch me".  He's been gone for almost 5 yrs.  We're happier and we know that our horses are happier when they can be not in stalls/runs.  So at this point, Plan C is that we're going to take down the current interior fencing, and just open up the run-in shed completely.  At some point, sooner rather than later, we'll be putting horse safe fencing around an additional acre on our "East 3" and add a small run-in, so when/if we need to separate horses we'll have that capability too.
I'll google "no climb fencing sheets" and see what I find!
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

ShanainOregon

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:29:39 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up