Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vettec ?  (Read 389 times)

1950Racking

Vettec ?
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:34:44 pm »

I have an older horse who often gets tender footed when ridden on rocky trails (not that bad, most other horses do not)   The horse is shod, same as the others.   Anyone have experience with Vettec products?   They recommend:

http://vettec.com/equi-pak-180cc

Thanks

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Vettec ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:48:05 pm »

I'd be more inclined to start w/ Keratex hoof hardener first.  But maybe this would be fine?
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:16:26 pm »

Let us know if it worked for your horse!
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.

1950Racking

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:08 pm »

I will let you know how it works.   
I already give this horse hoof supplements.   The folks at Vettec told me this is not uncommon for an older horse to become prone to getting sore feet. 
I would like any feedback from someone who has used it, or heard of someone who has.   It makes sense to me that it would help, but it may be snake oil for all I know

Moongait

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:34:30 pm »

No personal experience, but I've heard lots of good reviews, including one from my very well-informed barefoot trimmer. I hope it will work well for you!  -Julie

1950Racking

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

Thank you Julie, that's good information

gallatingal

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 08:17:47 pm »

I have used  most all of the vettec products. I wish I could tell you they solve all the problems and work as well as I hoped they would but I have had problems with them adhering as represented. I think mainly it is environmental, here we have way to much moisture and a very difficult time getting the nearly pristine environment required to get them to bond. I bought that particular product to use this winter but unless I can afford to build an indoor heated shop that I can slide my critters into, it is either too hot or too cold or too wet to get them to stick.
Life is short, buy the pony!

Kellie in OR

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:44:33 pm »

I've not used the product so have no input. My husband is a farrier and has used it to patch walls after resections, but not the one for sole tenderness.

I would look at the underlying trim, the diet, the living environment and go ahead and treat with DURASOLE. I like Keratex for walls and durasole for soles. It is a bit of work initially, it works best to follow the instructions and they say to use with a hair dryer to dry it and build a hard protective crust on the sole. After the callus is built I only have to use it a couple times a week and didn't use the dryer. It worked good. A nice side effect is that it all does a good job killing thrush. Also nice that it doesn't cost a fortune, only like $10 a bottle.

1950Racking

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:18 am »

Thanks.   Durasole is worth a try.

oncidium

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:27 am »

I have used Vettec. 

It worked wonderfully.  I will use it again if I need to - hands down I will for sure.

I rode the horse with shoes, and the pads, and the pads NEVER came out.  It is squishy, and doesn't get hard in the snow or cold weather.  Initially, he repoured the pads when I had a reset.  But then, the farrier was able to reset the shoes with the same pads a couple times.  It all depends on the horse's foot.  There are different kinds of the Vettec.  We used the one which was blue. 

The pads made my horse very comfortable. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up