Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GHS Favorite Soup Recipes  (Read 1011 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Chicken Tortellini Soup (Linda in NW PA)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 05:52:25 am »

One of my favorite soups to make. I cut the recipe down from its original 30 servings so add more water or chicken broth if you like a thinner soup.

Chicken Tortellini Soup
 4-5 cups of water
 3 (10 1/2 oz.) cans chicken broth
 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
 2C. cubed cooked chicken
 1 C. chopped onion
 1 C. sliced carrots
 1/4 C cooking sherry
 2 cloves garlic, minced
 1/2 t. basil
 1/2 t. oregano
 1 pkg. frozen cheese tortellini (the recipe calls for 7 oz pkg. but I put in almost a 16 oz package)
 1 (16 0z.) pkg. frozen broccoli, thawed
 Parmesan cheese

In large stock pot combine water, chicken broth, soup, chicken, onions, carrots, sherry, garlic, basil, oregano. Bring to a boil. Add tortellini. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli; simmer an additional 5-10 minutes until broccoli is crisp-tender. Serve with parmesan cheese.

stablemind

• Administrator
2 Weight Watcher Potato Soups (from Scooter)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 05:56:34 am »

Weight Watchers Potato Soup 2.5 points/cup serving
•4 (8 ounce) cans fat free chicken broth
•50 ounces potatoes, diced (about 3 lbs.)
•1/2 onion, diced
•4 slices bacon (crisply cooked)
•8 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
•1/4 cup fat free sour cream
•2 tablespoons flour
•3 tablespoons water

Combine broth and potatoes. Cover and cook about 20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through. As potatoes are cooking, saute onions then add to cooking potatoes. When the potatoes are soft, stir in cheese and sour cream, and simmer until the cheese is melted. Thicken with the flour and water mix. Serve and enjoy.

EASY WW Potato soup - so good and only 1 point per 1 cup serving....
Great comfort food, fast and easy. The only work is going to the grocery store.

Ingredients
1 package Ora Ida frozen O'brein Potatoes
3 16 oz Cans of Garlic Seasoned Chicken Broth
1 package Pioneer Fat Free Country Gravy

Preparation
Place entire package of potatoes in saucepan.
Add 2 cans of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Mix third can of chicken broth with gravy package and whisk unitil dissolved.
Add gravy mixture to potatoes and broth, stirring until blended.
Simmer until hot.
Serve.

Cook's Notes: So easy and really good. Freezes for later. 1 cup= 1 weight watcher point.

stablemind

• Administrator
Nutty Sweet Potato Soup (from Liberty1)
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 05:58:17 am »

Nutty Sweet Potato Soup

This sounds unusual but is surprisingly good!

Ingredients:
 1 large diced onion (about 2 cups)
 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and diced
 2 medium carrots, diced
 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 1 clove garlic, minced
 1 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
 1 (14.5 ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes, with their juices
 2/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
 2 teaspoons honey
 1/2 cup chopped scallion greens (about 3 scallions)

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper and carrots and cook, stirring until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the cayenne, black pepper, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the sweet potato, broth, and tomatoes and bring to a aboil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in a regular blender in 2 batches and return to the soup pot. Add the peanut butter and honey and stir, over low heat, until the peanut butter melts. Serve warm, garnished with scallions.

Tip: Then blending hot liquids, remove the liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid as ths prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times, then process on high speed until smooth.

Yield: 6 servings of about 1 1/2 cup each - 290 calories per serving

stablemind

• Administrator
Cream of Crab Soup (from Tazgirl)
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 05:59:26 am »

Cream of Crab Soup

1 lb crab meat
 1 qrt 1/2 & 1/2
 1 stick of butter
 1 onion
 1pkg Knorr Leak soup mix
 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning (more if you like a little kick)
 salt and pepper to taste

In a 5 qrt pot, melt the butter, dice the onion and simmer in the melted butter till onion is soft. Add the crab meat, salt, pepper and Old bay just long enough to heat up the crab meat. Then add the 1/2 and 1/2 and leak soup and slowly bring the temp up to almost boiling, stirring constantly you don't want it to stick. Turn temp back down to low and simmer stirring occasionally until soup thickens.

You will have to play with the amount of Old Bay, salt and pepper until you hit the right amounts for your taste. Remember the Old Bay does have a tendency to get stronger after cooking.

This will put about 10lbs on your hips and stop your heart from the saturated fats but boy is it worth it........

stablemind

• Administrator
Last Minute Black Bean Soup
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 06:00:10 am »

Last Minute Black Bean Soup

1 19 oz can of black beans, undrained

1 1/2 c frozen corn

1/2 c salsa

1/2 c water

1 T bottled or fresh lime juice

1/2 to 1 t chili powder

1/2 to 1 t cumin

shredded cheddar and sour cream for topping, if desired

Directions: Combine beans, corn, salsa, lime juice, water and seasonings in a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling, then simmer uncovered about 5 minutes. Serve in individual bowls and top with cheese and sour cream as desired.

stablemind

• Administrator
Fat Flush Soup (from Scooter)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 06:01:29 am »

Here's one I posted earlier in the year -- I make this often, it freezes well, and I love to have it for lunch!

I saw this in a Health magazine...I don't know if this soup will really flush my fat, but I can say it is a GOOD hearty soup.  Also very easy to make and fits well into the WW program.  It is much easier to make (not all the chopping of veggies) and has the added plus of protein....

I have been using shredded chicken --- usually just cook a chicken breast or thighs and shred it into the soup.  (had some left over from dinner last night)  The option of ground beef or turkey could easily blend with the southwestern taste.  Because I don't like cooked green peppers (and they don't like me), I just omitted them.  This batch, I had some canned green chilis and dumped them in -- mmmmm good. 

Anyway, here's the recipe and the benefits of each ingredient...

Fat Flush Soup

2 tsp olive oil

1-1/4 lbs. lean ground beef, turkey or shredded chicken

1 onion, chopped (confession, I used frozen chopped onions..)

2 cloves garlic, chopped (confession, I used minced garlic in a jar...)

1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped  (I leave this out and substitute green chilis)

8 oz. mushrooms, chopped

1 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes (didnt' even know these existed -- very much like thick tomato sauce but with hardly any sodium!)

1 32 oz. bottle reduced-sodium tomato or vegetable cocktail juice

1 tbs. fresh lemon juice  (I had a lemon first time, this batch I used 'real-lemon')

1 (14 oz) can beans, rinsed and drained (I used Bush's mixed beans - pinto and great northern , and kidney beans the first time)  You can also use black beans.

1 tbs. ground cumin (now we're talking!)

1/8 tsp. cayenne, or to taste

1/4 cup each fresh cilantro and parsley, chopped (I cut them with a little pair of kitchen scissors, much easier...)

In a stockpot, heat oive oil over medium high setting.  Saute meat/poultry until cooked through, about 5 minutes (note, since I used pre-cooked chicken, I just shred it and dump it in the soup when the tomato juice is added)

Saute onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.

Stir in remaining ingredients, except cilantro and parsley.  Cover and simmer 20 minutes.  Stir in cilantro and parsley.  Cover, simmer 10 minutes longer.  Store soup in refrigerator up to 5 days.  Freezes well.  Makes 16 cups.  1 serving = 3 cups.

No WAY could I eat 3 cups of this hearty soup in one serving.  I find a 1 cup serving wonderful for lunch or a pre-dinner soup.

Nutritional Info (per cup):  Calories - 125  Fat 3 gr (.8 g saturated) Chol. 22 mg  Protein 11 g. Carbs 10 gr., soidium, 400 g., fiber, 3 grams. 

This soup's slimming ingredients

Lean ground beef, turkey or chicken -- Protein not only boosts post-meal metabolism by 25% and stiumulates production of fat-burning hormones, it has also been shown to dramatically reduce appetite.

Onions:  Onions are loaded with the mineral chromium, which helps improve levels of fat storage hormones.

Beans:  Beans are loaded with fiber so they help to fill you up, plus they stabilize blood sugar which reduces the amount of fat-storage hormones our bodies make.

Cayenne:  Studies have shown that the antioxidents that give cayenne its heat can boost metabolism up to 20% for up to 30 minutes.

Parsley and cilantro:  These herbs help relieve bloating by flushing toxins out of the body.  They're also loaded with antioxidants, a type of nutrient that researchers have linked to low body fat.

Garlic:  Preliminary studies show that a compound in garlic called allicin may prevent pre-fat cells from turning into full-blown fat cells.

Mushrooms:  Mushrooms contain about 80 to 90 percent water, and are very low in calories (15 cal/oz).  Mushrooms are a rich source of riboflavin, niacin, and selenium. Selenium is an antioxidant that works with vitamin E to protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals.  Mushrooms are an excellent source of potassium, a mineral that helps lower elevated blood pressure and reduces the risk of stroke

Tomatoes:  Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C; Arizona State University tests also show they help burn fat 25% faster.

stablemind

• Administrator
Fish Chowder (from FancyPants)
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 06:05:20 am »

1 large onion, diced and fried in butter (I had parsley butter)
 1 large garlic clove, crushed
 couple tablespoons of bacon bits (you could certainly fry real bacon and keep the grease to fry the onion in)
 1-2 tbspn of Clubhouse's Roasted Garlic & Red Pepper seasoning (garlic, red pepper and onion)
 1 tsp celery salt (because I didn't have celery!)
 3 potatoes, peeled and diced (they were on average the size of my fist or a little better)
 add enough water to cover the potatoes and cook 20 min or so.

Add 1 to 1-1/2 c frozen corn and 2-3 c chopped, thawed whitefish

Bring back to boil, stirring occasionally, turn down to simmer

Add milk to suit....I probably had 1-2 c - a lot depends on how much water you've added to cook the potatoes

Shake 1/2 c cold water and 1-2 tbspn of flour for thickening

Continue cooking for at least 1/2 hour, simmering and stirring now and then. Salt & pepper to taste.

stablemind

• Administrator
Winter Beef Stew (Ann Oklahoma)
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 06:06:48 am »

Winter beef stew

1 lb ground lean beef
 diced onion (brown together)

add 1 pkg McCormacks beef stew seasoning
 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 small can tomatoe sause
 1 can water
 Pre boil 3 med potatoes drain and add to mixture
 I also add 1 can of pinto beans or kidney beans
 cyannne pepper to taste
 Quick and easy less than 30 min to fix
 Corn bread is good with this

stablemind

• Administrator
Hearty Minestrone
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:12 am »

Hearty Minestrone Soup (it is heart healthy and lower carb)

In large stock pot - heat 2 T olive oil, 1 small chopped onion, 1 cup chopped celery, 1 cup diced carrots and 1 cloved minced garlic. Sautee until onion is clear.- about 3-4 minutes.

Add to pot: 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can white cannelini beans (rinsed), 1 quart chicken stock and 2 T Italian seasoning.

Cut up 1/2 lbs. (or more) chicken breast into bite sized pieces and lightly brown in olive oil. Add to soup. Cook for 1 - 1/2 hour.

One hour before serving: Add 2-3 small zuccini, chopped and 2 cups frozen chopped spinach. Cook until tender.

Cook up 2 cups small pasta and set aside.
Ten minutes before serving: Add pasta. Salt and pepper to taste. Top each large bowl of soup with Parmesan cheese when serving. Add a salad and fresh bread. Yum!

stablemind

• Administrator
My Grandmother's Hamburg Soup (slamduncan)
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 06:10:39 am »

My Grandmother's Hamburg Soup. This soup sat on the back of her wood burning range all through the Depression and fed tons of folks with NO food or money.

You can play with it in lots of ways, but this is how we like it. You can also play with the amounts you make also.

1 large Onion sliced as you like it.
 2 lbs of ground meat I use Bison, but would suggest 93% lean if you use beef. JMO

Put a bit of oil in the pot sauté Onion and then brown the meat. When that is done add a couple of cans each of Crushed Tomatoes, Whole Tomatoes, Diced Tomatoes.

For each can, add at least a half can of Water.
 Simmer for a few hrs.

Separately, cook either rice, or any kind of pasta you like. I usually use elbows as that is what Mike likes the best. Serve with warm bread, cornbread saltines whatever you want.

It freezes up well.
 Also you can add any other kind of veggies that you want to. I like carrots on occasion.

You can sauté and brown then pout it all into the crock pot if you want to, but I really like it on the stove and sometime I even do it on my woodstove You can also use fresh Tomatoes from your garden if you want but you should peel them.

I hope you enjoy it if you try it. It brings back good memories of people who have gone on from this world as we know it.

stablemind

• Administrator
Potato Soup (CA Glover)
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 06:12:36 am »

Potato Soup!

1 pound bacon, chopped

2 stalks celery, diced

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

8 potatoes, peeled and cubed

4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

salt and pepper to taste

•In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
•In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
•In a separate pan, Make a roux. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1/2 the soup, and return to the pan. Adjust seasonings to taste.

stablemind

• Administrator
Navy Bean and Ham Soup (Kysa)
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 06:13:44 am »

navy bean and ham soup. I just toss stuff in there. Let me see if I can remember everything.

2 cups navy beans soaked overnight, then simmered for about 2 hours. I have no idea how much actual liquid, but enough to make it "soup".
 Add, 1 onion chopped
 4 carrots chopped
 2 tsp Italian herbs
 1 tsp salt
 fresh ground pepper--taste
 1 ham steak.
 I just dropped the ham steak on top of the soup in the crockpot and left it on low for a couple hours. Then I took out the ham steak and diced it and put it back in. Man was it yummy.

caglover

Re: GHS Favorite Soup Recipes
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 01:43:41 pm »

Italian Wedding Soup

Broth
•   1 onion , chopped
•   1 fennel bulb , stalks discarded, bulb halved, cored, and chopped
•   4 garlic cloves , peeled and smashed
•   1/4ounce dried porcini mushrooms , rinsed
•   4ounces ground pork
•   4ounces 85 percent lean ground beef
•   1 bay leaf
•   1/2cup dry white wine
•   1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
•   4cups low-sodium chicken broth
•   2cups beef broth
•   2cups water

Meatballs
•   1slice hearty white sandwich bread , crusts removed, torn into 1-inch pieces
•   5tablespoons heavy cream
•   1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese
•   4teaspoons finely grated onion
•   1/2teaspoon finely grated garlic
•   Salt and pepper
•   6ounces ground pork
•   1teaspoon baking powder
•   6ounces 85 percent lean ground beef
•   2teaspoons minced fresh oregano
•   1cup ditalini pasta
•   12ounces kale , stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (6 cups)

Instructions

1.   FOR THE BROTH: Heat onion, fennel, garlic, porcini, pork, beef, and bay leaf in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook, stirring frequently, until meats are no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add wine and Worcestershire; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, beef broth, and water; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
2.   FOR THE MEATBALLS: While broth simmers, combine bread, cream, Parmesan, onion, garlic, and pepper to taste in bowl; using fork, mash mixture to uniform paste. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat pork, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt on high speed until smooth and pale, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Add bread mixture, beef, and oregano; mix on medium-low speed until just incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Using moistened hands, form heaping teaspoons of meat mixture into smooth, round meatballs; you should have 30 to 35 meatballs. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
3.   Strain broth through fine-mesh strainer set over large bowl or container, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Wipe out Dutch oven and return broth to pot. (Broth can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Skim off fat before reheating.)
4.   Return broth to simmer over medium-high heat. Add pasta and kale; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add meatballs; return to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.[/li][/list]

oncidium

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 06:25:48 am »

This is the second time I have made this soup.  I made it up based on some other recipes.  But isn't soup all about that?

Have all ingredients ready before cooking.  Use a large soup pot.  These are the vegges I had on hand at the time. 

Pad Thai Soup -

1 box Swanson Thai Ginger infused broth,  add on large pinch of dried red pepper flakes bring to a simmer.

Add one bundle of buckwheat noodles (Publix) (they come 3 bundles to a package, lowest shelf, oriental section), can add 2 bundles stir very gently. Simmer a minute or two.  Do not over cook.  They should soften and cook in a total of 3 minutes, so mind your time with the rest of the ingredients.

Add:

1 cup baby carrots sliced thinly on the diagonal
¾ cup green onions sliced on the diagonal
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
½ t dark sesame oil
½ t fish sauce
2T brown sugar (this is to taste)

Simmer another minute, then add shrimp.

1 package frozen, thawed, shrimp medium, thawed, shelled, no tail. I get these from Publix also.

Cook shrimp until done, 1 minute.  Add ½ chopped dry roasted unsalted peanuts, I whiz these in the food processor.

Serve right away.

caglover

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 11:42:19 am »

Potato and Green Chile Stew

Serves1 to 2
•   1 or 2 long green chiles or poblano chiles, roasted and peeled
•   1tablespoon sunflower seed oil or other vegetable oil
•   1small onion, diced
•   1/2teaspoon teaspoon ground coriander
•   1/4teaspoon teaspoon ground cumin
•   1garlic clove, minced
•   1large russet or 5 smaller potatoes (a scant pound) peeled and chopped into 1 1/2-inch chunks
•   Salt and pepper
•   1cup chicken stock or water
•   Sour cream (or Greek yogurt) to finish
•   Chopped cilantro to finish

1.   Chop the chiles coarsely. Heat the oil in a wide pot; add the onion and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, garlic, and potatoes, followed by the chile, along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and give a stir. Cook together of a few minutes, then add the water or stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
2.   Cook and cover until the potatoes are completely softened, about 25 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. At this point you can mash the potatoes, or at least a few of them to give the dish a creamy sort of background, if desired.
3.   Pour into a bowl; add a dollop of sour cream and the chopped cilantro
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up