verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have a handle on barn lighting?  (Read 245 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Anyone have a handle on barn lighting?
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:24:33 am »

Our barn was built about 20 years ago. The ceiling fixtures are ceramic sockets with jar covers. (If my terminology isn't right, keep in mind I'm not an electrician.) Apparently those kind of fixtures were already on the way out when we built the barn, and I suspect current building codes don't allow them.

Originally, we used 100 incandescent bulbs, usually the "rough use" kind because hay bales bouncing on the floor above were hard on regular bulbs (and almost as hard on the rough use bulbs). Then we switched to the corkscrew CFLs, which held up slightly better, didn't produce great light and were dim until they warmed up. I hate those things and have had them explode more than once when changing a bulb.

If you look at my attached photo, you will see one fixture with a CFL, another with either an incandescent or LED, I'm not sure which. And the furthest fixture has either a spot or flood bulb leftover from my old kitchen. That bulb is too big for a jar cover.

So my question is: what kind of currently available light bulbs would work best for these fixtures, keeping in mind that the bulbs do take some abuse when hay bales are bouncing around on the 2nd floor and temperatures drop to single digits and below. I think the obvious answer is probably LEDs and if so, is there a specific type of those I should look for? Or is there something better I don't know about?

One last detail - we have replaced a couple of these, using a screw in outlet / receptacle and hanging 4 foot LED shop lights. Those work really well in the barn aisle, but aren't practical or necessary for every fixture.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Anyone have a handle on barn lighting?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 11:53:22 am »

I am interested in your topic as well....
Kysa, South Dakota, 5 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a Paso Fino, a Florida Cracker Horse and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Walkin45

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:31:07 pm »

There is the “ jar” light with like a wire cage around it. I would go for those plus conduit. I will see if I can find the catalog.

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 05:33:18 pm »

Farm Tech and its grill gaurd. You put it over the glass part.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:50 pm »

Yes, I realize they make those with cages over the glass now. My question is which kind of bulbs are best for barn use now. When we built the barn, there were only incandescent bulbs, then CFLS came along and now LEDs. And others, I'm sure, that I'm not familiar with.

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 07:07:10 am »

There is a lot of information out there on the internet about innovations barn lighting.  For me, we switched from the shop type florescent lighting to CFL. We had to change out all the fixtures.  The CFL bulbs screw in like a light bulb..  I think you said you had used them and did not like them, but they have worked for us so far.   I will say that we do not use the lights for much.  during the day lights are not needed and we only use them to feed at night for the most part. I was also interested in the type of bulbs that would last for years as my hubby nor I need to be on top of a ladder changing bulbs. Too dangerous for us senior citizens!  Our barn and equipment shed were outfitted with florescent shop lights when we bought the house, but the florescent bulbs were just about useless in the winter as when they get cold it takes forever for them to come on, and sometimes then the light was very dim.  We changed for better lighting and safer lights. We only did the barn, and I wish now we had done the equipment shed as well. Supposedly these CFL bulbs last 11 years.  We have had them in about 5 years now with no outages. There is probably a better option out there now but these have been a great upgrade for us over the shop lights.  LED seems to be the new thing if you can manage it.

Here's an article on new trends in barn lighting - https://equusmagazine.com/horse-world/latest-barn-lights-52916

https://www.accessfixtures.com/horse-stall-lighting/

good luck!

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 07:44:00 am »

My Mom bought me a couple of these. We put one in the garage & the barn. These suckers are BRIGHT. they screw into a regular fixture.

Raylin

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 03:35:16 pm »

I like those enclosed glass fixtures for the light bulbs. But, I don't have them.  :P   For years I used regular, incandescent light bulbs in the winter because they light up instantly, as they have all my life, and the twisted CFL bulbs in the summer because they were more energy efficient and didn't delay in getting bright as they do in cooler weather. But, all that changed last year when I finally tried LED light bulbs. I got them at Lowe's. Pretty sure this is the one I got:
GE Classic LED

In the attached picture, you'll notice three light bulbs. One over each stall and one over the main part of the barn. One of the LEDs needs to be replaced. I did not have an LED spare, so I put an incandescent bulb in. You'll be able to tell the difference!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:40:59 pm by NoBite »
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 06:45:02 pm »

Thanks, Laurie and John. This was the kind of info I was looking for. Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing, gradually replacing incandescents and CFLs with LEDs.

Liberty1

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 06:54:53 pm »

Ed put LED strip lights in our barn last year - wow what a difference!  He adapted the sockets that were there from the traditional bulbs. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up