Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My latest project  (Read 304 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
My latest project
« on: September 07, 2020, 11:25:53 am »

So, I have a four horse slant load with a weekender package upfront. It’s not a huge trailer but it’s pretty big. I also have a two horse straight load small trailer for running horses to the vet or short day rides.  However we have a one horse that doesn’t fit in the two horse straight load and one horse that hates it even though she fits.  I have been wanting a two horse slant load for a long time. And I have finally decided just to put one together. We had an old trailer left by someone else that has been in the weeds for years. I have been unable to find a Vin number on it anywhere, so I cannot get an abandoned title for it.  After talking to the sheriff he assured me that I can fix it up and get a title as a homemade trailer. And now that I have started pulling us apart I’m pretty sure this was a homemade trailer to begin with. The floor was very rotten but the frame seems to be in good shape. I have a renter who has very good welding skills and also mentioned the other day that he was short on cash. He is delighted to do any welding I need, and I’m sure he’ll help me rewire the lights as well.

More photos as we fix this up.  Why am I doing this? Because around here I can buy a two horse brand new which I don’t want to do. But I can’t find a two horse slant load used. People that have them keep them!
Kysa, South Dakota, 5 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a Paso Fino, a Florida Cracker Horse and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: My latest project
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:35:27 am »

Budgets. Always an issue. I have two horses that will board here all winter.  My budget actually requires three. Even though the tax store is doing so well right now I know that everything slows down over winter. So the two horse slant load Hass to come out of current cash. Mostly that means Horse motel customers. I did look for a used two horse slant bumper hitch, but there are very few for sale, most are in pretty good shape, and the cheapest I could find was $4000. Out of my price range. So that’s how we got this thing from the weeds drug up to the shop. 

I actually think it will take a little over $1000 to make this roadworthy. But I should have a trailer I could sell for $3000 at that point.

Leon went to Lowe’s to order the floorboards. The last time we had new floorboards in a trailer, which was a few years ago, it was $150. I anticipated a little bit more than that. But Lowe’s wanted more than $500.  Luckily we found some old floorboards at a small lumberyard about 20 miles away. $320. And while the boards were being loaded into Leon‘s trailer, someone else wanted to buy them. Luckily I got them first! My welder is figuring out how much new angle iron we need.  And my horse motel has pretty steady business for the next 10 days, so I should easily be able to buy it, plus the four new tires that I’m going to need. 
Kysa, South Dakota, 5 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a Paso Fino, a Florida Cracker Horse and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 12:39:26 pm »

Dave brought his drawings over about making slant gaits.

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 01:40:49 pm »

Why can’t you load them side by side. Personally I hate a slant trailer.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 04:44:50 pm »

my only worries on the slant diagram is the open areas big enough for a hoof if something weird occurs...   good luck with your project !
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 06:14:54 am »

Carol, the whole point is I have several horses that hate a straight load. Their preference but they make it very strongly. Yesterday I needed one more horse out of my cabin, so I could ride with my nieces and nephews. I ended up taking Molly because she will go in a straight load rather than Savanna who is my preference. I do not know why savanna hates the straight load so much but she does.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:32:11 am »

I share kckc's concern about the apparent open portions of the dividers.  But other than that, sounds like a win/win.  Haven't had a straight load trailer in a LONG time.  On purpose, after reading research about how horses respond to slant load vs. straight load, as well as seeing differences in how horses load in slant vs. straight load trailers, I've made a point to insist on slant load trailers.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

misstux

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:04:28 am »

Slant load vs. straight load is an individual preference.  My first trailer was a straight load.  Since I was usually alone, I tied the divider off to the side & Dusty in effect had a slant load.  When he died, I had just over $8000 in vet bills, so I sold my trailer to the woman who had been using it and paying my monthly parking fee.  When I got Strider, I got a slant load, since that is what most horses prefer.  Not Strider.  He prefers a straight load.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 10:47:54 am »

"He prefers a straight load."
Horses can sure be opinionated, can't they!  JUST when we think we have it all figured out, they have a different opinion.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:51:27 am by loneelk »
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

ponymare

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 12:06:14 pm »

When we hauled Princess in a livestock trailer with open type gates, she slipped and slid under the divider but I suppose that could happen with any divider?  She was also pretty small.

Princess didn't like a straight load but I think it was more due to the fact that it was so closed up and dark. Gabe doesn't really LIKE to load in any trailer but he can back out too quickly in our little bumper pull if he decides to! That long stride of his will have him out before you can shut the gate on him. Sunny has to be on the back because he stays put. I think we need a butt bar there, though.

Gabe has also gotten his big ol' TW head stuck by trying to put his head over the divider in our old CM Drover. You would think getting stuck once would have cured him but it didn't.

Looks like you've got a solid investment there Kysa!

Walkin45

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 05:39:53 pm »

I hate a slant load.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 06:46:36 pm »

Good thing you don’t own savanna. She absolutely hates a straight load.

My welder went to Watertown today and bought a new hitch, new jack, and the steel to make the slant gates and put extra bars in the floor 

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 06:11:01 am »

Really looking forward to seeing pix of during/after!
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1]   Go Up