verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pigeons in the barn - GONE!  (Read 392 times)

Laurie

Pigeons in the barn - GONE!
« on: January 30, 2020, 08:54:01 am »

I have grown to really HATE pigeons. They are messy nasty birds. Severals years ago we had pigeons move into our barn. It started with a couple of them, but they bred and increased and it was not uncommon to see 14 or 20 of them flying around or walking on the barn roof.  They make a terrific mess - pooping on everything.  They made nests in risky places and eggs would be found smashed on the ground.  We have a barn and adjacent equipment barn and kennel.  They first moved into the horse barn and later spread to our equipment barn too.  We used to park our old truck and old Bronco in there with the tractor but the poop was damaging them. 

We tried all kind of things short of shooting them - which hubby wanted to do :-\.......but he's not the best shot and I could just see him blowing a hole in the roof of the barn.   Well, a couple of years ago, hubby surprised a hawk in the barn and it had caught a pigeon!   A light bulb went off in his head! Hubby started leaving the big sliding barn doors open which I HATE because all kind of trash blows in - leaves and stuff and makes the barn a mess.    He was hoping that the hawks would feel welcome and come on in. We thought about putting out a welcome sign...........

Well, here it is, a couple of years later, and I am proud to say that the pigeons are GONE!  Those hawks finally wiped them out.  Yesterday morning I looked out the window and saw two hawks sitting on two wooden fence posts on my pasture fence about 50 feet from the barn.

I hope they stay around 8)...Those hawks were more effective ridding us of the pigeons than all the methods we found on the internet!

Fingers crossed that this lasts........

Walkin45

Re: Pigeons in the barn - GONE!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 01:41:50 pm »

That’s great. I have 2 but I knock their nests down. I’m out of a mood for squab.

Laurie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 08:07:39 am »

Walkin - The pigeons are still gone! YAY!......we are still leaving the barn doors open and we haven't seen a pigeon in months and months.  this is after years of dealing with them and their mess. These birds were making nests in high up places that we could not reach and I am not sure they were all raised here anyway - maybe they called in their buddies.  I can only say I am so glad they are gone.   We still see the hawks around so they are still hunting them I guess. I saw a hawk sitting on the fence near the barn a week or so ago.  They are great hunters but I really did not realize they hunted other birds until we  were out training our bird dogs years ago.  We flushed some quail and as the birds flew a hawk swooped down and snatched one out of the air and flew off with it.  We were amazed :o

Anyway, don't let them get started in your barn!  They multiply......

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 08:27:26 am »

Hawks and falcons are essential here for keeping the population of pigeons and doves controlled.  Somewhere in my online photo archives I have pix of a falcon that was stripping the feathers off a dove it had just killed--the dove almost as big as the falcon.  I love doves, pigeons not so much, but they can all become pest birds over time if not controlled.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Laurie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 09:02:44 am »

Lonelk I love to hear the doves coo.....but these were just pigeons.  We have plenty of doves around....enough that they have dove hunts every fall.  The doves around here  are smaller than these pigeons and don't seem to want to nest in our buildings (whew) - although I guess they could.  I was just surprised at how fast they multiplied.  I am glad that the hawks made our barn less desirable to them!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 09:55:40 am »

We have both, altho oddly enough haven't seen as many pigeons this year.  Who knows why?  The doves are plentiful, still and always.  They are all pretty prolific, which makes it surprising to not see as many pigeons this year.  They seem to nest in the remains of our OLD hay barn that really needs to be torn down/dismantled, since it is no longer usable even for hay storage. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1]   Go Up