Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas and Anniversary for the rest of our lives!  (Read 670 times)

ponymare

Christmas and Anniversary for the rest of our lives!
« on: November 18, 2019, 02:09:40 pm »

We finally did it.  We committed to the 4 series John Deere and hope hubby can use it for  a part-time business when he retires.

After 20+ years in the construction business and 17+ years making tires, he is ready for a change. Since he really enjoys working from a tractor, and we really need one for our own use after making do without one for so long, he is going to try to build a business doing small jobs for people. Hopefully there will be a need for such a thing as he doesn't feel like he can really fully retire when we move.

He is so excited (well, make that as excited as he gets) about this new venture. I so hope it works out for him.  He never gets anything for himself. And he's still a little worried about whether it's the right thing to do.

We drove by to look at it today and they have the new heavier duty bucket on it and are just waiting for the blade that bolts on it.  He will be getting a hay fork and land leveler with it and we've already bought a used bush hog that we looked at when we were in KY in October.

I couldn't believe they already got my tires dirty when they moved it. I guess they think nothing of driving a tractor through the mud lol!

It's supposed to be easy enough for even ME to drive but we will see! I can probably mow but I'm not sure I trust myself to operate any of the other pieces of equipment.

He's also hoping that it will be useful when we start building our house.  I think I finally have him saying WHEN we build our house and not IF we build!

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Christmas and Anniversary for the rest of our lives!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:27:06 pm »

Enjoy!  Having horses is much better with a tractor of some sort.  That one sure looks nice.
Kysa, South Dakota, 5 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a Paso Fino, a Florida Cracker Horse and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:33:07 pm »

I have tractor envy. My little JD is just a toy compared to yours.

And you know what they say, "Nothing runs like a Deere!"

kckc

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 06:37:42 pm »

wow... I love tractors !
NC

ponymare

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:59:50 pm »

Thanks! It's been many years of worrying if we will get the hay into the pasture without getting stuck and, as the bales get bigger, will we be able to get them out of the truck and where they need to go. For awhile David was even mowing over 3 acres with a push mower so, yes, this will make horse ownership so much easier. We've only been doing it the hard way for 21 years now! I'm so happy for him!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 06:21:07 am »

Congratulations!  I will NOT be showing these pix to my DH, because our little 40 horse w/ no cab is almost paid for, and he's making noises about needing a cab.... 
I'll be interested to see your updates about actually driving it, because when we first got ours, I was VERY reticent about driving it, but once he got me in the seat, and gave me some basics, I started really enjoying it! 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

ponymare

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 07:42:37 am »

Val, I will no doubt be reticent, too, but since you said it's easy peasey, I will at least give it a shot lol! IF I can go in a straight line and there is nothing in the way for me to "take out!"

The cab is a luxury I know, but hubby sweats more than anyone I have ever known and in his young stubborn (MORE stubborn) years has had a few episodes almost to the point of heat stroke.  And now that we are older, the cold isn't kind to our arthritis so we decided to just go for it in our golden years! Also will be a protection against bees which have been known to chase our neighbor quite a distance.  :-\

I almost posted on Big South Fork Rider Services and the city services page to ask if there was a need for a business doing small tractor jobs, but I was afraid the answers might discourage us so I'm going to wait until closer to our move to advertise.  I was thinking this morning that he could get a part-time job at the hardware and building supply store there because he already knows his way around lumber and maybe make some contacts that way.

He also mentioned that he might be able to get some contract cleanup jobs during storm damage, etc. And is going to ask at the state park near us if they use any contract workers.

I think the problem in that area and in many other places is reliable people who will be there when they say they will and do a meticulous job. Short of a real emergency, he would be that guy.

Laurie

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 08:20:05 am »

Congratulations!  I am jealous >:(........My little kubota is a wonderful tractor, but I have often wished it was bigger, with a bigger bushhog so mowing would go faster.  And a cab! That's really cool......is it air-conditioned?  boy would that be a bonus here in TN when the mowing season is often in the upper 90's. 

You won't regret the purchase and you can operate it.  It's fun.  I love operating the front end bucket to move stuff and carry things around.  It great for moving things.  I did the majority of all the mowing until I came down with copd, now hubby does it.  He probably would not complain if he had a cab and air-conditioning!

The hardest thing for us is changing implements that requires you to move/shove things around to line up the arms to attach.  We aren't strong in our old age and it's almost impossible for us.  Our neighbor helps, but mostly we just leave everything hooked up.  I used to cut the front with a finish mower that fits on the belly of my tractor, but now I just bushhog so we don't have to switch out.

Enjoy!......and congratulations!  I will say that I did take out a section of fence with the bucket once when I was learning, but now I can mow the fence line like a champ.  Practice makes perfect!

Walkin45

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 05:08:54 pm »

Dam. That’s nice. I always said I was getting a cab heat and air. I don’t bleed green though.

ponymare

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 06:01:22 pm »

Laurie, yes it has air conditioning. Great for the swampland of MS, too. David has come dangerously close to heat stroke several times so we decided to spring for the AC for that and heat for our arthritis lol! We got a quick hitch to make it easier to hitch up the implements. Maybe that would work for you. JD's version is called I-match. Besides David getting a pretty tractor I got a pretty cap! Haha!

Walkin45

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 06:19:53 pm »

You outta to a. As much as tractors are now a days.

ponymare

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 10:24:40 pm »

Yep! David got a brown one. Mine is prettier!

Laurie

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 05:27:07 am »

I got a pretty light pink JD hat when we bought our lawn tractor/mower years ago.  Our tractor may be orange but our mower is a green JD.  Our local JD dealer services our mower and our orange tractor too :D

Anyway, have fun with your air-conditioned tractor!  I will be enviously thinking of you next summer when we are sweating through the mowing season.......plus, you won't have to breathe in all that dust and grass particles that fill the air when mowing.  That would be really good for us........of well.

If we decide to stay here rather than downsize ........maybe.......

ponymare

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 07:57:13 am »

I get the need to downsize Laurie. There comes a time when it just gets to be too much to handle by yourself.  We should never need another tractor for sure.  Part of the reason we went with one that we knew and where we knew the dealer. Service is a big part of the equation and we have heard good things about our dealer. Our neighbor "up north" says a good service dept. is a must.

We will be going to get a trailer Friday and then on to KY to pick up a used bush hog that we had looked at when we were up there in October. The trailer is going to be more friendly to older folks as well, since it's a tilt trailer and you don't have to wrestle heavy ramps. If he wasn't planning to do commercial jobs it wouldn't matter so much.

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 09:16:36 am »

Hey, you'll be able to manage the implements just fine.  One quick lesson and you're good to go, and it's fun too.  My hubby did something smart about hooking up implements (which brings out the bad language).  We are lucky enough to be able to store all this inside a shed with a concrete floor.  He made dollies on wheels sized for each implement (think there's four of them).  Now all we have to do is roll the implement over to the back of the tractor and roll it into position and hook it up.  Works like a charm.  They won't roll good on dirt though so it needs to be concrete. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up