verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New use for leaf blowers  (Read 252 times)

Liberty1

New use for leaf blowers
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:02:26 pm »

A friend mentioned she uses a leaf blower to remove dirt from her horses in the winter time.  Been looking a horse vacuums but nothing made me want to commit to the cost and bulk.  We purchased an electric 12 volt leaf blower, and boy oh boy, what a great use!  It took about 5 minutes of desensitizing per horse and then  the dust flew!  So pleased. 

ponymare

Re: New use for leaf blowers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:47:51 pm »

I've heard of that but we've never tried it!  Might be worth a shot if our horses would stand still for it!  And you would get a two-fer, cleaning AND desensitizing!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 02:38:56 pm »

I use a gas powered leaf blower to clean the barn. The horses aren't the least bit afraid of it, but I never thought to use it for grooming. I wonder if it might be a little too high powered...

Liberty1

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:57:19 pm »

Ed blew it on me so I could feel it before trying on the horses.  It just felt cold with the fast moving air.  But again, it's electric 12 volt and I wouldn't go too much stronger...  I could see the hair parted to the skin so it seemed to be blowing dust from down under the coat.  It will take a few times to get a thorough deep clean all over.  But it was way more effective than just brushing. 

luvmysmh

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 06:40:45 am »

My gas-powered leaf blower would probably blow all of the hairs off of Wish and he'd be bald!

Of course, I might want to do that when I am in the throes of shedding season ;D

donato

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:09:20 am »

I use my husband's air compressor, and have done so for years.  It's WAY easier on my shoulders than any hand held type of thing.  Just the hose with the nozzle end. 

One horse out of the many that I've used it on objected, not badly, just didn't stand very well.  It stands nicely now - due in no small part to my refusal to let it get away with moving!   LOVE it.  Keeps saddle pads cleaner, as well as the girth, etc.  I brush, then blow, repeat ad nauseum.  Gotta wash your face afterwards and don't breathe with your mouth open . . . heaven knows how much fecal material you'll inhale then.  :-)

In the summer I'll brush, blow, rinse with water, scrape water/dirt off, repeat rinsing as needed just because it's usually too darn hot/humid to stand out there even in the shade and blow all the dirt off that they grind in their coats. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up