verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain founder mid- winter cold temps  (Read 797 times)

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Rocky Mountain founder mid- winter cold temps
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 06:47:01 am »

I'm not sure why a vet would say they don't know what causes laminitis.
I realize that I mis-stated exactly what our vet said.  Founder/laminitis can come from a multitude of causes, so perhaps it is more correctly viewed as a "symptom" but by itself doesn't explain what caused it.  What is probably closer to her meaning is that the cause of insulin resistance isn't really "known" and a specific "cause" of any specific laminitic episode may not be known (outside of a "known" cause like getting into the grain bin, too much work on hard surface, etc.).  I found it interesting that she told us that one of her patients is a mini mare who experiences "sore feet" (laminitis) if she misses even one dose of thyroid supplement.  She is currently receiving twice daily doses of thyroid powder.  Our vet prefers Thyro-L, but last I heard, that is no longer in production, so after we bought her last in-stock tub of it, we converted to Phoenix Thyrozine powder and so far have been keeping the good results that started w/ Thyro-L. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

OldnOrnery

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 12:10:11 pm »

How old is the horse?

Edited to say: Sorry I repeated what BarbCO. Many vets have NO experience actually treating laminitis. Lots of owners just throw up their hands and put the horse down. I'm not saying there aren't times when that is the best solution, but it isn't always the case.

Your best resource for getting your horse through this, after you get at least lateral X-rays, is the finest barefoot trimmer you can find. They can have a good store of knowledge of the hows and wheres inside the hoof.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:17:09 pm by OldnOrnery »

FancyPants

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:28 pm »

don't mean to start any "wars" but I'd head to a good farrier before taking on a barefooter...  I realize there's good and bad in both walks, but a good farrier has more tools & resources to help a horse in this state than a bf'r.  Farriers don't always shoe, but can do specialized support if needed - or do a well-balanced trim without shoes if necessary.   

I really like my farrier and he's worth every penny - a good friend of mine was pushing and swearing by a local girl who learned barefoot only and charged $10 MORE per trim than the farrier.  Next thing you know, a year has gone by, her gelding has chronic, unexplained intermittent lameness - and now she's using the same farrier I do.  The gelding is fine now.   

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:34 pm »

The key is, like OldnOrnery said, find the FINEST barefoot trimmer. The finest trimmer is better than the average farrier and the finest farrier is better than a lousy trimmer. And so it goes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up