verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hay testing  (Read 105 times)

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Hay testing
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:18:47 am »

Where is a good place to send samples to for hay testing?  Also, any recommendations for affordable testing probes?  Knock on wood, we finally have found a reliable source for Bermuda hay that will be reasonably stable year to year, rather than hay coming from a different grower every 3 to 6 months.  So I'm thinking that IF this proves true, it will finally make sense to send samples for testing periodically to be sure our supplement regimen is accurate.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Hay testing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 12:09:16 pm »

I cannot help you with the heat probe, but I will tell you got the best place to get hay tested for horses is Equi-analytical in Ithaca NY. 
I get the Equi-tech for $28
601)   Equi-Tech - combines high tech near infrared and plasma spectroscopy for a complete nutritional profile. By utilizing this progressive technology, lab efficiency is maximized enabling us to offer you a complete hay or pasture analysis at a reduced cost. Includes moisture, dry matter, digestible energy, crude protein, estimated lysine, acid detergent fiber, neutral detergent fiber, lignin, Ethanol Soluble Carbohydrates (ESC), Water Soluble Carbohydrates (WSC), starch, non fiber carbohydrates (NFC), fat, ash, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, molybdenum.
Best use - best dollar value for frequent analysis of hay or pasture when a comprehensive profile is desired.
Price: $28.00
From this, I use the esc, wsc, and starch to determine which field is best for horses tending to IR.  I also u the mineral profile to determine what minerals need to be balanced.  Usually, I have two fields to choose from for my horses, and sell the rest.  This year, I got one cutting from one field.  At least I know what is in it.  My poor husband has not cut one drop of hay for his cows.  It is still too wet, and it is raining today.

https://equi-analytical.com/
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:50:50 pm »

Thank you, Kysa.  I remember reading about Equi-Tech, so will look for them on the web.  $28 is definitely affordable for us!  So the hay probe is next step.  I've read some online info that gives instructions for "grabbing" handfuls of hay from inside bales.  But not sure that is best way to get a decent sampling for testing.
Wow!  Reading your info about your hay this year is scary.  Pasture just isn't an option for us here.  Would require irrigation, and we only have domestic water rights, which really don't allow for more than a small garden or lawn.  And the state engineer who monitors water rights usage apparently sends out aircraft periodically to look for "green" where there shouldn't be green, and several years ago, cited a local woman who was using her "domestic" well for irrigation of pasture land.   We've only gotten about 3" of precip in the last year---back into "drought" status again, after just a few blessed years w/ adequate rainfall. 
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 04:12:20 pm »

Val, if my memory is correct, Equi-Tech will give you guidelines on how to get the random samples. I, too, used them when we had an IR horse. Good folks.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

PAWalker

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 05:55:53 pm »

If you buy your hay probe from Equi-Analytical they  will give you one free standard hay test for horses.   

At least they did when I bought my probe from them several years ago.  It cost $100 back then and has more than paid for itself.

kckc

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »

my local county extension agent had a probe I could use then he actually came and did it for me.  Maybe there's one in your area?  or maybe there's a local farm store that loans one out?
NC

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 06:21:38 am »

@PAWalker Free standard hay test is still available on equi-analytical, so if I can't find another less expensive option, I'll do that.

@kckc, I'll give our county extension guy a call--maybe....
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Walkin45

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 04:44:35 pm »

Extension service.
Pages: [1]   Go Up