verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heated hoses  (Read 387 times)

TWHsoftie

Heated hoses
« on: August 15, 2019, 09:17:37 am »

It's that time of year...looking for recommendations on good heated hoses.  Have had the Pirit 50 ft and 100 ft and the longer one just never worked that great.  The shorter one works better but we really need a 100 ft hose to reach.  The reviews on any I can find are really not that great and the hoses are not cheap!!  Thanks for any ideas.

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: Heated hoses
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 04:10:58 pm »

First off, welcome! And, thanks for your first post! Unfortunately, I've never used heated hoses, so cannot recommend one. Hopefully, someone that has will chime in soon.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:46:37 pm »

You need to say where you live, and what type of winter weather you deal with.  I live in South Dakota, and there is not a heated hose on the planet that will survive my winters.  If I absolutely have to use a hose, I drain it, roll it, and store in the heated section of the dairy barn.

I fill a tank at the barn and carry it to the paddocks in the bucket of the skid steer, where I open a valve on the bottom and fill the paddock tanks.  A hose just does not cut it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:33:12 am by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 5 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a Paso Fino, a Florida Cracker Horse and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

PAWalker

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:47:10 am »

Hello and welcome:)

I am in southern Middle Tennessee.  We do have days and nights that go well below freezing with wind chills in the  teens.   I don't use heated hoses either, as I don't think they are efficient when I really need them.

I have 50' 1" diameter rubber hoses.  For the most part they get drained every night and left on the ground without rolling.

If the wind chill takes the temps down to where I think I'm back in NW PA, the hoses get drained, thrown in the trunk of the car, and carried up to the house.  I leave them in the laundry area.

It's a big PITA, but the only thing heated I find worth their cost are the water buckets and tubs:) 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 05:07:58 am »

Here's an old discussion about heated hoses:
http://gaitedhorsesense.com/index.php?topic=5318.msg58462#msg58462

Welcome to GHS! We'd love to hear about your horse(es).

kckc

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 05:42:25 am »

well, I didn't use heated hoses but heated buckets that lasted about a month before they quit. When I was using hoses I had them draped along my barn wall so that when I turned off they self drained.  I hated dragging and draining hoses.  I put in a self draining automatic waterer in the paddock - best thing I ever did.   works like a hydrant so no electricity needed.   
NC

vruste

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 09:42:32 am »

Never used heated hoses....I'm also in South Dakota where winters can be kinda harsh.  If a hose is needed, I drain it by throwing it up and over the rafters in the barn.  It has to be well drained or will freeze up.  Alternately you can blow the hose out with an air compressor to clear it out.  Generally in the winter the only hose I need is inside the barn to fill buckets in stalls....which of course I could just carry but a short hose just long enough to reach the furthest is sure handy.  When i push one end over the rafters I can reach the end to pull down and make sure both ends are off the ground and unobstructed (usually requires draping over the tractor or snowblower on one end).

I do have heated buckets in all of my stalls because...well, I've chipped enough ice in my day....

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 11:59:12 am »

KC, that is weird about your heated buckets. I've been using the same ones for 5-10 years.

My method with the hose is the same as Val's.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 12:16:25 pm »

I, too, have used heated buckets, and they last 5+ years with my horse motel.  Last year, I think our coldest actual temp...not wind chill...was minus 38 F.
Kysa, South Dakota, 5 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a Paso Fino, a Florida Cracker Horse and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 03:45:26 pm »

Welcome.  I'm in New England where it can get cold.
When I boarded here in Rhode Island we used those hoses that shrink back when not in use. We would fill buckets or tubs with floating heaters and take the hoses into the barn owners house.  That worked really well.  Where I have my Fresian everything is heated so no issues.

My Ace horse lives in Conn and Jamie fills big water containers and hauls them down to the barn where she fill heated buckets.  I hope this helps.
Judi, Ace and Tressje fan Winn (aka Miss T.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up