Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wooded property...another question - walnut trees  (Read 393 times)

kathypa

Wooded property...another question - walnut trees
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:37 am »

I'm planning on bringing at least 2 home this summer. I was surprised at the land I do have out back bit it's still a small lot. Probably an acre at first and then will expand to up to 2 acres. The problem is there are lots of walnut trees and saplings. Mine are such pigs, I am worried about the walnut toxicity of leaves and branches and the grass under the trees. What have you experienced with walnuts?  :-\

riding the sun

Re: Wooded property...another question - walnut trees
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:51:05 am »

We have walnut trees lining the driveway and they hang over the pasture.  The horses have never bother them, but they have a lot of grass out there.

Judy
My favorite trail is the next one

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:46 am »

It's the sawdust of the walnut trees not the tree itself.

Raylin

oncidium

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »

I would never do walnut trees of any type near a horse pasture.   Not much difference in sawdust and branches.  Wouldn't want the leaves in the pasture or the nuts either.    Lots of nice trees out there other than walnut.  Just because you have not seen them partaking of the walnut now, it could happen.  Then what?

I had a horse who loved a plum tree.  Made him super itchy, hives, and loose lots of fur.  I cut that tree to the ground, and tossed it away.  He ate whatever it dropped, leaves, fruit, and then rubbed on it like a cat scratching post.  He was itchy, so he was there with his favorite tree, so rubbed on it, got sap on him, and it made him even more itchy.  I finally figured it out, cut that thing down in a heartbeat, dragged it away with a rope and the truck out of his reach.  After a week, he started to look alot better.  It was a wild plum of some sort.  Not sure where it came from. Gone now.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »

We have always had walnut trees in our pastures with nary a problem. The only potential problem associated with black walnut is a stall bedded with the sawdust.  Sawmill owners are generally aware of this and process walnut logs separate from other species so they keep the sawdust from mixing with the other sawdust.

kckc

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:57 pm »

which tree leaves are dangerous when they die?  is it black walnut or maple?  my property is full of them - they don't seem interested in them at all.
NC

Raylin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:49:01 pm »

Cherry is the leaves when they are wilting.

Raylin

OldnOrnery

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:50:25 pm »

Several kinds of maples have leaves that are toxic: red maple, sugar maple, silver maple and Norway maple.
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/maple.html

Pretty much all the parts of Black walnuts are associated with laminitis in horses. I'd want to have a clear identification of the walnut trees, myself. My mares (and a lot of horses) will sample various trees to figure out which ones they like.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/horses/facts/walnut.htm

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:49:38 am »

I have black walnut as well as probably a couple other apparently toxic kinds of trees in my pasture, and it's not a lush pasture. In seven years the horses haven't died or even been sick yet (and believe me, trees are not safe from those two). I don't think I've ever seen teeth marks on the black walnut trees. I have chokecherry trees and the lovely tree trimmers with the power company trimmed some branches and left them before I knew about it, and the horses sampled some, and nobody that I know of got sick. In fact, I think it was a chokecherry that was the first tree they promptly killed once I brought them home.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

Raylin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:05 am »

I am with OHtrailGaitin, never had any horses get sick being in our woods.  Where I think you get the problems is where the horses are literally staving & have nothing else to eat.  I was even told acorns could kill a horse if they ate a few, this was after we had a lot under a huge oak tree & Brown ate most of the acorns :/

The cherry leaves are the most poisonous 3 days after a limb or a tree has came down, with my vacuums they have the leaves ate before they have a chance to think about wilting. 

Raylin

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 02:24:49 pm »

Im nervous about the same thing, but everyone has told me that as long as they hay have to munch on, they are going to choose yummy hay over questionable tree foliage...but I don't have any real experience so I dunno.
Allison

Proud mom to Sydney, saddlebred, Birch, TWH, and Abel, SSH.

NoRegrets

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:45:48 am »

I had no problems with black walnut trees in the pasture when I lived in NJ.  When a large tree limb fell from a black walnut, I would place a tarp under the limb to catch the shavings while we chain sawed it into more manageable size pieces. 
Debbie

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 08:12:51 pm »

No worries for me I don't have one tree in my pasture. Only run in sheds. Also cut them back from Fence line.

kathypa

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:54 am »

Thanks all... I won't pen them out there 24/7 but would like the option. I probably will cut most trees off there..such fun...
Kathy
Pages: [1]   Go Up