verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water bucket carrier  (Read 618 times)

Winona

Water bucket carrier
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:47:45 pm »

My back and neck are toast and sometimes I wonder how I'm going to keep going with horses. The water buckets are the worst, especially in the winter. I finally splurged on the Broll water bucket carrier. It won't help for frozen buckets, but I can dump the old water from the heated buckets into it, dump the water outside, fill and roll back to the run-in or stalls. It travels nicely over dirt and bumps. You can dump the water onto the ground without lifting the buckets. It was on sale on Amazon. Figured if it saves on a Drs. Visit or physical therapy....great. I have been waiting for them to be available for months.
Sorry I can't paste a link. The website is Brolltools.com.      Or amazon, broll water bucket carrier

kckc

Re: Water bucket carrier
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:48:33 pm »

you can't use a water hose?
NC

Winona

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:32:02 pm »

They leak, I get filthy as they collect dirt on the floor, they freeze, and take time to unroll, fill, drain, roll up. We have not been above 30 in awhile. Buckets are quicker and I give fresh water 2-3 times daily. Plus, I empty the dirty water out each time....I did board where they just kept adding water to the buckets without dumping....gross.

In the summer I do use large tubs that I fill with the hose. But I still give a bucket of fresh water to each horse at night.  Large tubs here in the winter aren't feasible....yet. I may need to figure it out, but they will need to be heated. No good access to electric near where I would want them. Plus, they could easily get buried by one snow storm. There is a good 2 feet of packed snow behind the barn now. Maybe if I raised them on a platform.....

I don't know....I like fresh water in abundance.

craftcorral

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:22:55 am »

I started using one of those expandable hoses
http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Hose-6847-12-Telebrands-50-Feet/dp/B00ATZZWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392470197&sr=8-1&keywords=expandable+hose

I hook it up to the frost free hydrant, fill the water tube and then unhook, through it into a collapsable nylon tote and take it back in the house until the next time.  I just leave it in my mud room sink until I need it again.  That means no sloshing buckets leaving icy patches all over my barn floor either!  I love it.

The first one was a gift (50ft) because my mom thought I could use it camping.  It just barely reaches from my faucet to the tub so I might invest in 75 ft.

One thing I did have to do, since it is so lightweight, is to rig up a bungee cord on the paddock fence so that the hose is held in place while the tub is filling.  Then I can walk away to do other stuff instead of standing there holding the hose.

I don't use it often but it is holding up very well.  I don't know how durable it will be but so far so good.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:58:12 am »

we had a thread on those hoses last year because they looked perfect for taking camping etc.- supposedly not for drinking water so the one I bought is only used at the house
NC

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »

KCKC,  would it be possible to connect 2 of the the 50 foot hoses?   I need a longer hose.
MJ

kckc

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31:35 pm »

I would think so... they just have standard hookups - but read up to make sure you want your horses drinking water our of these hoses. 
NC

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:03:16 am »

Oh, Thanks KCKC,  I thought only humans shouldn't drink from it...but if I can't, guess my horses shouldn't either.
MJ

craftcorral

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:17:21 am »

hmm, did not realize it wasn't for drinking water.  Yikes, I'll have to do some research on that now.  :-(

Myaj

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:58 am »

MOST hoses, unless they are the special, RV, white hoses marked to be for drinking water are NOT considered safe for drinking water.  So unless you are using those super expensive white RV hoses to water your horses at home, I'm betting its more of a CYA situation for the hose companies.

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:51 pm »

Whoa I didn't know we shouldn't drink out of those hoses. I did know about the white hose for RVS. I've used the other for my horses also drank out of them for years and I'm still here.  :-[

kckc

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:02:26 pm »

I wonder if I'd be healthier if I had not drank out of water hoses all the years I grew up.   :-)
NC

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:10 pm »

Best not to know this things after all these years. Must not of been to bad, maybe that's how I got this twitch , not hehe :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up