Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remedy For a Cough?  (Read 111 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Remedy For a Cough?
« on: May 16, 2019, 07:14:22 pm »

Pete has had a cough since early winter. Some days he never coughs, some days I hear him once or twice. Occasionally at night, I hear him having lengthy coughing spells. Much of the time, it's a gentle hack that you can only hear if you're nearby. It has no effect on his stamina or breathing and he rarely coughs when ridden. When the vet was here for spring shots, he listened to Pete's lungs and airways, and said everything is clear. He said it's probably an allergy, since there is no fever, mucous or snotty nose, just a cough that comes and goes. I will say, hay could be the culprit. Our hay has quite a few weeds in it. 

So my question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a cough remedy or supplement? Or any experience with this kind of cough?

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Remedy For a Cough?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 08:32:31 pm »

What, you don’t think Pete would swallow the human cough medicine recipe you sent me!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 09:15:34 pm »

there are several cough things out there for horses.  one is honey based.   I'll have to look at the barn for the name.   2 of my older boys have copd… it started with a cough, then more coughing... mostly when eating.   Do you feed hay?  If so, soak it really well every day for a week and see if that eases the cough.   If he's in a dusty stall that's just bad air for a horse and might be the culprit.  My vet said any coughing could damage the lungs - not sure if just meant mine that had copd or any horse. 
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 03:53:14 am »

Kysa, I knew that was coming.  ;D

NoRegrets

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 05:57:05 am »

I had a horse that coughed when eating.  I thought it was the hay, but it turned out to be the stall shavings.  I switched over to the pelleted bedding and the coughing went away.  So I guess it was the dust causing it.  After that I usually shook his hay flakes out before I fed him as a precaution. 
Debbie
Pages: [1]   Go Up