verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rethinking vaccines  (Read 263 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Rethinking vaccines
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:56:34 am »

https://harmanyequine.com/vaccinations-rethought/

A very good article. I bring this up because Molly, who is 17 years old, seems to of had a reaction to her rabies vaccine last weekend.

I spent many years doing veterinary vaccine trials, not in horses, but in cows and pigs.   The principles are the same. The reason vaccines are only listed for one year duration of immunity, is that is the length of time the trails are done. Even if you suspect a much longer duration of immunity, pharmaceutical companies cannot label that unless it was tested. I definitely want my horses protected against fatal diseases. I have already gone to an every other year instead of every year vaccine program. But I think at age 17 Molly has received her last rabies vaccine.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

Re: Rethinking vaccines
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:16:37 am »

I have a little dog that is older and had a reaction to a rabies... she's blind, 6 lbs and stays in the house.  No shots for her again.  Problem here is vets won't/can't treat her without a rabies...they can't even take a titer to confirm it's still in her system.

I go as long as I can between vaccines in my horses - rabies is required every year and it frustrates me that I have to do it every year.   With our monsoon fall I decided to get the mosquito shots this year for my horses.  They were all lethargic and stiff acting.   No swelling at the injection site but still did not feel well for about 2 days.   
NC

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:24:36 am »

Rabies is the ONE vaccination for horses that our horse vet really advocates for annually.  I read recently that titers in horses have demonstrated efficacy ONLY for one year (for rabies vaccine).  Not a chance that we'd take, given that our horses haven't shown any reaction other than maybe a few days of lethargy (NOT a concerning level, and NO observable localized reactions in about the past 3 years).  And especially given that there have been incidents of rabies in our state, and we have LOTS of wild animals and domestic canines/felines passing through our place on a regular basis.  But that said, if either of our boys showed a reaction, we'd be rethinking it AND having an appropriate conversation w/ her.  Fortunately, where we live, once initial vaccinations are done in puppyhood, state law only requires re-vac every 3 years for dogs.
Definitely something that everyone w/ critters needs to take seriously and weigh all the options carefully.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:10 am »

Trials in Europe have shown rabies efficacy in horses up to 7 years.  And that is what I am counting on for Molly.  The pharmaceutical companies won’t accept European studies, mostly because they want the money from annual vaccines.

Mostly, everyone has to make their own decisions, but they also need to know that some of the American information is biased or skewed.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:47:48 am »

NOT a chance we're willing to take, especially w/ rabies.  It would be a death sentence for our horses to contract it.  And because we live along a predator superhighway, everything from mountain lions to skunks and all in between there is significant enough risk for us to heed the caution.  Our horse vet has given us reason to trust her recommendations, more than once.  Unfortunately, I didn't save the article w/ titer info re: rabies immunizations in horses.  Otherwise I'd post a link. 
We do watch carefully for adverse reactions every time they receive immunizations.  Both immediately and over next few  days, up to a week.  So far, all good.
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 11:03:14 am »

Val, that is exactly why each individual needs to make their own decisions.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:16:26 pm »

Truly hope we don't find ourselves having to make a choice that includes NOT giving rabies immunizations.  But I do understand not risking suspect vaccinations for a critter that has shown adverse reactions previously, especially in a low risk situation as described by kckc. 
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

luvmysmh

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 07:23:56 am »

Just had vaccines done yesterday.  Vetera Gold combo, botulism, and rabies.  Wish had the first reaction he has ever had to a vaccine.  He is almost 16 years old and never showed a sign of anything.  The vet warned us that, for whatever reason, they are getting more reports of reactions this year than in the past.  She left a tube of Bute with us just in case. 

Wish had a temp of 102.6 late yesterday afternoon, lethargic, not eating.  Gave 2 gms Bute.  By 7 p.m. was down to 100.2, had eaten some hay and was brighter.  By 7 a.m. this morning, temp was 99, he had eaten almost all of his hay, drank half bucket of water, peed, pooped, and was anxious to go outside!  I left him happily grazing with his buddies.

He was the only 1 of 4 horses that showed a reaction.  Reported it to the vet this morning.  She said she believes that statistic (1 in 4) will prove correct for this season.

Walkin45

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 09:13:54 am »

If you ever go anyplace the venue will prolly require all shots and a paper to prove it.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:49:45 am »

As I show my horse MUST have a whole list of shots.  We do them in a spread out series and they have a day or 2 off with Bute just because.  The most reaction we have had is a sore neck.

Here in RI Rabies must be done every year.  There are a couple of others also  IF they are not done they can not leave your property.
Rabies in dogs is a 3 year deal.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

Walkin45

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:26:24 pm »

Even so. I go a lot of places   I want to make sure MY horses are protected.

luvmysmh

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 06:15:51 am »

Wish's temp is down to a more normal (for him) 98.9, and he went out and ran in the field this morning.  So, he is definitely getting better.  Was just speaking with my vet.  Next year we're going to spread out his shots and maybe give him Banamine with the shots.

Cashela

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 01:42:14 pm »

I'm late to the party but rabies is the one vaccine that I would do regardless.  Because if they suspect your animal has rabies and you can't prove that you vaccinated it, they chop their heads off to test for it.

I know someone who came in contact with a foal that had rabies and had to get shots.  Also know a friend of a friend who had cows that weren't vaccinated and ended up with a rabid cow, everyone who touched it had to have shots. 

Jenn-New Hampshire

Walkin45

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 03:44:54 am »

What are Miskito vaccines?

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 05:30:30 am »

????  NO clue--perhaps some people call West Nile vaccine "mosquito vaccine"?????
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1]   Go Up