Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duncan's Journal  (Read 1230 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: Duncan's Journal
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:37:17 am »

I was a bad Mommy and went 6 weeks on Duncan's shoes instead of the usual 4.  So, the farrier came this am and we reset again.  (Number 5 reset).  I have had to keep shoes on him but have not really ridden him but a few times.

Anyway, the mess that was his right front foot is all grown out!!  It is ALL gone.

His feet are in great shape and now, if my health and the weather will cooperate I might be able to ride him a bit.

My farrier was very kind in the amount he charged me.  He said no one takes better care of their horses than I do in regards to feet and he knows about all the vet bills with Duncan.  I thanked him.

I'll have to do something nice for the farrier and his lady Jane.  Hmmm  Maybe a gift card for a nice meal out.  Time will tell.

Anyway that's the update from here in rainy, windy RI.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 02:21:58 pm »

This morning Mike and I went out to the barn.  We groomed Duncan and pulled even more hair off him.

Then I tacked him up and rode him  He went off like he always does, perfectly.
Then I put Mike up.  Now, Mike is not a horse person.  In the 10 years I have had Duncan he has been on him, maybe 3 times counting today.
But they had fun.  My Barn owner and a friend were out with us just laughing and having a blast.

I groomed him again and did his feet and put him back in his paddock.  He is good to go.  LOL.
I wish they were all like him.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:36 pm »

My Barn Owner just called me to ask if I thought Duncan would like to be in the wedding of her Granddaughter, Summer.  The date is October 4th.  She wants to ride him down the aisle with her Father leading him.

I said that would be a very cool thing and I am sure he will handle it well.  She is coming to the barn tomorrow to meet him.
Lorna and I have it all planned out and we even know what beautiful tack he will be wearing for the occasion.
He will be wearing Gail Travis, white and silver.  A complete set she made for him 2 years ago.  It is just beautiful and glitters in the sun.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:38:07 am »

Summer came out to the barn this morning and met Duncan.

Lorna took pictures I sent some out to folks if someone would like to post 1 they could PLEASE.

We have a plan and Summer will be coming out to ride and get used to him so that by the wedding it will all be good.
I have to do some work with him concerning sitting aside and long skirts, But, I really don't think it's going to be a real big deal with him.  He's pretty bomb proof.
So it was a good morning for me.  I got Ace back from the trainer for good and Duncan on his way to being the BEST horse in the wedding.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 05:05:40 am »

Here it is, Judi!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 07:32:14 am »

Thank you Val.  This is going to be a fun project to do with him.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 02:50:23 pm »

Well, 12 weeks are up and the Vet came out this am to pull blood.  It will be sent to UCONN this time.

Cornel did the original work up.
It will probably be next week due to the Friday holiday.

I'll let you all know.
The Vet was impressed with how good he looks, but as I explained looks don't always tell the whole story.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 01:58:23 pm »

No matter how good Duncan looks the results are back.  They first went to U CONN and I was not satisfied with the answers we got they were too vague.
So, the vet sent more blood off to Cornel.

The results are not good at all.  Duncan did not respond to the Doxy.  There are 2 other things I could do, but the bottom line is Duncan will still have Lyme.
After a long talk with my Vet on Friday evening I have decided to euthanize.
This will be done in October.  In the mean time he will be well cared for and loved and then we will let him go.

This is a decision that I have thought about long and hard and have talked to certain people on this board and other places.
Now that the decision is made it feels like a ton off my back.
My thought is better a day early than a day too late.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:46 am »

Just back from the barn.  I groomed and put fly masks on both boys and rode Ace.

I simply hung around with Duncan and that was a really cool time for me and I hope for him.
While he is mostly holding his weight it is taking lots of food and supplements to do that and he is really doing nothing.

I am hopeful to keep him looking as he does now until October 4th for the wedding.

I have lots of decisions to make and cannot believe the number of people who have offered burial plots for him.
Honestly I am thinking about cremation.  Time will tell and thankfully I appear to have time.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »

Over the last little while I sent an e mail to the young woman I got Duncan from 10 years ago.  I have not heard back from her other than a brief e mail telling me that she was having a hard time with this.  Oh well.  It's her issue not mine.
I sent a note to his breeder in New York. He CALLED me and we had a very nice visit.  He asked important questions and I went through everything with me and he said I was doing the right thing for Duncan.

He also thanked me for all I did for and with Duncan.  He told me I was the only person who had ever taken one of his horses and did all the stuff we did and he really appreciated that a lot.

I told him I would let him know when we were going to euthanize and I thanked him for a wonderful horse.

I also sent our State Vet a note, he used to be our Vet and I had kept him in the loop on all of this, he sent me back a wonderful note of support and telling me he admired my decisions and the way I am handling all of this.

Duncan continues to look good, but it is still taking lots of food and supplements.

This is very hard to do but it must be done and I really want to keep him here until the Fall.
This week Lorna and I are going to the farm where he will be buried to pick out his spot.

I thank all of you for your support in this time of sadness for me and all who know and love this wonderful horse.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 11:39:24 am »

Just a fast update.

Duncan continues to live like the King he is.
It is taking lots of food and supplements and while he should be as broad as he is tall that is not the case.

IF you knew him you would know he is barely maintaining.  The more I watch him the more I think he has somekind of a blood cancer.

He is in a huge paddock with a nice run in and we groom and make of him.  He has been ridden in the ring at the farm a few times this summer for brief periods of time.
I will not truck him out, even though the selfish side of me would LOVE one more trail ride, but that's not going to happen.  He just gets too stressed and I just will not do that to him for ME to have a ride.

We are still on track for October to euthanize.  I am sure there are some of you that do not understand the whys and wherefores of what I am doing, but for us it has to be this way.

Again I thank my friends on this board for all their support and kindnesses to me.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:07:41 pm »

WELL, I have started the process of sending Duncan on his final journey.

I have talked to the farmer where he will be buried.  Talked to the State Vet to make sure what we are doing is legal.  Here in RI there are silly rules, but Dr Marshall assures me it's ok to bury him where I want to do it.
I have an e mail in to my Vet.  I want to get this done at the very beginning of Oct as I found out today that I have to have another operation and it will be next month and I want Duncan at peace before that all happens.

I will post when it is done.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 12:29:43 pm »

Mike and I went to the barn this morning.  We groomed, clipped and rode Duncan.  He was as GREAT as he ever has been.  The young man who helps me at shows was there and he got to ride him also.

Austin has not ridden since his Grandfather passed a few years ago so it was a big deal when he went in the house and got his jeans and boots on.  It meant a lot to the BO who is his grandmother.

Then we hauled Ace out and groomed and rode him also.  A good morning for sure.

Arrangements are just about done for Duncan.  It is going to be soon, I'll post when it is over.

I am sad but know I am doing the right thing.  Just hard to do that's all.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »

Slam Dunk Lobell NA 142.  aka Duncan.
Companion and best buddy ever.
A truly gentle giant.

RIP
The end
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up