Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Duncan's Journal  (Read 1228 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Duncan's Journal
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:30 pm »

OK, seeing as we have big issues with Duncan I am going to give him his own space.

So, here goes.
I had X Rays taken last week, tonight I got the full report back from the vet.
Here goes:
He has a 2 degree rotation in his right front and a 4 degree in the left.  Remember he is 20 this year and had injuries on the track.
He also MIGHT have the start of some side bone in his right front.
It could be something or nothing time will tell.
He has about 3/4" of sole between the tip of his coffin bone and the ground, that is good.  an inch could easily be taken off his toe if needed to open up any abcess in the right front toe.

NOW, the vet is questioning early Cushings.  SO, I will have the blood work done and we will go from there.

He is showing NO signs what so ever of Cushings, but the vet says sometimes the only sign you get is sudden onset of founder.  I spoke at length with our State Vet here in RI and he explained a ton about Cushings/IR to me.

So, that is where we are at with Duncan and his issues.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: Duncan's Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:50:06 pm »

I saw both Duncan and Ace this morning as I had to pick up grain for the barn.
Duncan had snowballs so I cleaned them out all the while there are hunters not too far away shooting shotguns.
Both Duncan and Ace got groomed and seemed to enjoy that.  The guns going off didn't bother them the sure belong to me.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:26:37 am »

The last 48 hours have been very busy in our world.  First Luci went to the vet on Friday.  Yesterday morning I received a phone call from her Primary Vet wanting to let me know they are up to speed on everything that is or is not happening with her and did I need anything and to tell me they agree with my plan of action on her issues.  That was so very nice.
NOW, onto Duncan, Over the weekend I spent a bunch of time on the phone with Kysa, talked to our State Vet here in RI and talked to my husband, BO and former BO and Farrier.  We are ALL in agreement that Duncan is probably IR.
That being agreed on I talked to my grain store, I use Poulin Grain and have for years with great results, small company great products. 
Then late yesterday afternoon my vet e mailed wanting a list of everything that goes into Duncan's mouth LOL.
He needed this information because he is in touch with Poulin's   expert to see where we go from here with the feeding.

I am so blessed with people who are willing to help and let me vent and scream, yep there's been a bunch of that.  You know the "It's just not fair to Duncan."

We are drawing blood to go to Cornell on Friday morning, but all are on the same page that he is IR even though he is not shoing signs.  The State Vet says this is the most dangerous type of having IR and that most times it blows with a bad case of Founder.  I am trying to prevent that from happening.

I know it's going to happen at some point, but I am going to do my best that it will be later rather than sooner.
Thank you for reading and all your support in this issue, as usual you guys are the best.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:26:17 am »

The vet came this morning.  He spent over 2 hrs with us.  We went over every change in Duncan over the years I have owned him.  He went over him with a fine tooth comb, hands on the works.  Drew lots of blood and spun it out and it will go to Cornel on Monday and we should have our answers back next Friday.  We are doing a full blood work up so we will know everything that is going on with him.  He brought the x rays with him and we went over them and he let me keep them to show my farrier.  They came  out well and are very clear so I can read them.  LOL

So, now we wait.  I'll let you all know.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:05:15 am »

Duncan got all trimmed this morning also and I groomed him and flushed out the awful crack in his right front that is the top opening of a clear channel right down to the toe.  It took about 30 minutes to get the water to run clean.  He was a good boy and seemed to enjoy the attention.

As soon as we get our results back from Cornel I'll let you all know.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:53:12 am »

I got a text from the vet.  some of the bloodwork is back, the CBC and the normal panel 
ALL is NORMAL.  I was told all the tests will be back by Friday.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:28 pm »

I spoke with the Vet today.  the normal CBC and Chem Panels are back and except for elevated White Cell Counts  everything else is normal.  That includes his Kidneys.
We are still waiting for the Cushings/IR and all those tests to come back he hopes tomorrow.

He did tell me that the elevated White Cell count could indicate Cushings or IR.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »

I posted in the health section but will post here also.  All his tests from Cornell came back NORMAL!!  The vet is baffled and so am I.  There is something going on with him.

We will have Cornell run a Lyme Titer on him and see what that shows.  Failing that we have to figure out what is going on with the low grade bacterial infection he seems to have and has had all the years I have had him.  I got him when he was 9 he is now 20.  He looks great and is his normal cheerful self.  Several people at the barn have remarked that they never knew what a love bug he is at all times.  Go figure.

I'll get it all figured out somehow.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 04:34:16 am »

A fast re cap. Duncan has a chronic case of Lyme.  Next question what and how to treat him.
After more than a few phone calls, lots of texts and e mails we have decided to treat him for 42 days with compounded Doxy.  The Pharmacy is in Texas and has a good reputation so  that's the route we are going to go.

This is a 5 grams scoop ONCE a day for 42 days, cost  about 360.00.  That would be Doxy.
The other medication comes in capsule form AND would mean stuffing 22 pills down his throat 2 times a day.  Even with a discount for volume purchase it's almost 700.00 for the 42 days AND Duncan would NOT be really good about it, in fact it would end up being a huge fight 2 times a day that I am just not going to be able to do..
My former BO used the powered Doxy on her horse and she told me he ate it right up with a bit of doctored (applesauce).  Jupiter is like Duncan about strange stuff in his food.

So the meds should be here in a week and we will start.  I'll keep you posted.  In the meantime he is doing well and living like the KING he is.

IU thank you all for all the support you have given me both on Duncan's issue and my Luci dogs issue.  Even though I have never met most of you in person I consider you my friends and you can not have too many of those.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:01 am »

The farrier came this morning for a reset.
He trimmed back the right front toe as the vet suggested and you can see where it the last abcess blew out in the top of the foot and the channel up the front of the foot from the toe.  It's growing out well but it certainly shows exactly what was going on in the foot last summer.

His Doxy should be here later this week and then we start 42 days of treatment.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 10:43:19 am »

Mike and I went out to the barn this morning.  The Barn Owner had held off feeding Duncan his grain so I could give him his Bute, Doxy and grain.  He was not happy about the Bute paste, BUT ate every scrap of his grain and doxy and applesauce.

Tonight he'll get the Doxy and a Probiotic.  He gets the Bute for 3 days then just Doxy and Probiotic for 42 and 45 days respectively
Today is his 20th birthday.

I am hoping that we can back the Lyme off for a while anyway, but it is chronic so I expect we will have flare ups along the way

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:27:38 am »

We pulled my trailer out of the snow bank and I took it out to the barn this morning.
While at the barn I groomed Duncan and Ace.  Ace is REALLY shedding, Duncan is letting go of some of his.  He doesn't shed out real early, he never has.

It
s not going to be as nice here today as it was yesterday but it's better than what we have had.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 11:09:41 am »

Another week and Duncan is still eating his meds.  This is amazing.  I'm not complaining it's just plain out amazing because he is notorious for NOT eating his grain if there is anything in it real or not.

He looks great and is his big happy horse self again, so I am hopeful for this round of meds to fix the issue for a while at least.  It would be wonderful if it never when active again, but we all know that's probably a dream for me to have.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 09:12:40 am »

So, for today I will combine the 2 boys together.

I went to the barn and took Ace out of his stall, he was already not a happy horse because I had the barn owner leave him in so I could groom him. 
Immediately we had to have a discussion on who is in charge.  With that little issue out of the way, the hair FELL out.  LOVE my Furminator!!!

Then we had to have another discussion, he forgot, and that lasted for about 10 minutes.  So, we went out to the ring and had a fast reminder.  Then I put him out in the paddock with Miss Tidy his new paddock friend.

Went and got Duncan, GROUND tied him in the aisle and proceeded to work on him.  NO issues, I'll be really glad when I get Ace to where Duncan is.

Anyway, he is starting to shed and seems in good flesh, I can not feel ribs or anything and he is still eating his meds, which really is a huge surprise to me.

It is partly cloudy and windy, not really nice outside at all today so that's all I did with them.  Ace will be going to the trainers in a week or so.  His vacation is about over and he will be earning his keep hauling me around.

I really am excited to be starting another horse, I should not be but I am.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 10:14:20 am »

I just received word that someone is writing a book and I believe it's about Standardbreds and the author has asked for a picture of Duncan running barrels.  How cool is that?  This is like the 3rd or 4th book that folks have included him in.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up