verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Horses and Wooded Property  (Read 2493 times)

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
Re: Horses and Wooded Property
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 09:10:22 pm »

The fence will be no where near the hill, so that's good.  Also we are cutting the saplings literally at or slightly below ground level, I've been very adamant about it, lol.  I'm glad to hear that about the rocks, they are use to walking on gravel (the barn they are at now has gravel everywhere they stay when not at pasture).  We are planning on feeding hay year round, I just was wondering about mental well being of how big a space would be psychologically healthy for them.  I'm really getting excited. Our barn will hold 6-8 round bales for storage at a time, plus we already have freestanding shelves and cabinets for supplies and feed etc.  Also we have room for a sofa and little lounge-ish area for when we hang out there, we are using solar energy for the electric fencing and a battery/solar kit for the lights inside the barn. We have decided that if we can afford it, we are going with 3 stalls, since I'm going to get another horse within the year, if all goes well.  The first day they are going to be there first thing in the am and we will stay with them all day and all night that night, so that's nota big deal. That's what I did when I brought Sydney home(to the boarding barn) for the first time. Ill try for photos tomorrow.
Allison

Proud mom to Sydney, saddlebred, Birch, TWH, and Abel, SSH.

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 09:11:46 pm »

Oh and we are going to try and get the barn built in one weekend--we are inviting Chase's cousins and brother (they are all close friends) and buying a keg and lots of pizza and wings and letting them spend a guys weekend building the barn.  :) lol its a win-win
Allison

countrygirl

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 10:07:10 pm »

Good luck on the one-day barn!  My DH and I tore down an old barn built a new one in a different spot, recycling as much materials as we could.  DH (the eternal optimist) said we could do it in a couple of weekends.  Ha!  It took us 3 months, and that was working just about every day on it.  We were newly married and I hadn't yet learned to multiply all his time estimates by a factor of 10!

Ditto on the rocks and the hill -- neither should be a problem.

In all the years my horses were in the woods, I never had an incident with impaling or any kind of injury resulting from they trees.

Two acres should be fine -- not optimal, but okay -- particularly since they won't grazing it. In CA, many horses are housed in small pens -- they don't get any open land unless they're turned into the arena.  Take a look at the stable where Mellissa keeps her horses.  Land is just too expensive there, I guess.  (No offense intended, Melissa ... it's just a drastic difference from how horses are kept in Texas.)
Liz from Texas

rydincolor

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 07:46:01 am »

Ditto on what KCKC said when you snip off the small trees and bushes make sure you cut the remaining stub to dirt level so it does not poke them in the frog.  I love walking around my pastures doing my due diligence of picking up stuff.  I pick rocks and toss them cause they grow out there.  I always carry my snippers and cut any roots above ground if they are exposed cause then they create a shoe pulling device!  April follows me making sure I do it right.  Oh and you probably know this but if you use the metal t-fence post makes sure you get the plastic covers that go over the tops.  Sounds like a fun time for your building crew.
Some people are like dark clouds--when they go away the sun comes out.

Truth is a lonely warrior.

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 12:31:19 pm »

So today Chase got started clearing trees....and the chain saw quit. lol, that's life. Anyway we just bought a new chain saw and he's back down there clearing trees now.  I'll take photos when I get done with my paperwork (that im supposed to be doing right now) and head down there to move trees.  :)
Allison

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 06:09:27 pm »

trying to upload photos of the property but it wont work...any ideas?
Allison

kckc

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:56 pm »

when you hit reply scootch down and hit the plus beside attachments...then go to browse and find the pictures on your computer and whalah... 
NC

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 06:37:26 pm »

how do I downsize my photos so they fit? it says they are too large...
Allison

kckc

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:34 pm »

some pictures you can right click on and has an option to resize or edit.  depends on the programs you're using.    If I have several pictures I personally find it easier to select all the pictures I want and right click to email them to myself.  when they come up in the email as attachments they are all smaller.   then you just select them and resave them at that smaller size.   
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 07:42:52 am »

Regarding fencing, we use two types. The perimeter of our pastures and the paddock area are fenced with Centaur PolyPlus high-tensile fencing. We have cross fenced a pasture to make two pastures using Horseguard electric fencing. Both of these products have been up about 18 years with no repairs needed. At one point, we enclosed our entire back yard with the Horseguard fencing. That was before we had a hay barn built back there. That fencing, only two strands, did a remarkable job for over 10 years. No repairs needed and no horse escapes. Neither of these products is the cheapest on the market to buy. But, I'd say they are very economical over the long haul. And, safe for horses.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 09:37:24 am »

Awesome information---I'm going through the websites now trying to figure out which type of wire to use...electrobraid, centaur, horseguard....eeks at the choices!! I'm going to start a new thread getting everyone's opinions, and we're buying fencing tonight. AHHHH i'm nervous and excited at the same time, lol...believe it or not, bringing them home makes me finally feel like a "real" horsewoman...even though I've boarded for years and years, lol. 
Allison

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 08:31:31 am »

This really could probably go in another post, but I figure those of you who have helped me so far are probably the same ones who will offer advice now, so might as well add it here, lol. 

KC...Chase and I want to come visit you, even if only for a few mins in between work appts one day, and meet your horses! 

Anyway, We are in barn planning stage and have a basic layout.  It's bigger than we were originally planning, but we need 3 10x12 stalls, so its the bare minimum.  It has hay storage and a lounge area (couch, coke machine, table and shelving/storage). We should be able to keep 6-12 round bales in storage at a time.  We are planning 1 hay bale per horse per month.   My point here is, we are using pallets.  I know that sounds weird but I've been looking online at some really awesome horse barns made with pallets as a base.  We are using pallets for the walls, I have thought about filling the exterior ones with hay to add insulation, and then we are taking extra pallets apart to fill in the boards and make it solid on both sides, so it will look like wood siding pretty much. 

I know not everyone will be on board with this idea, but we shabby chic around here anyway, and it will save hundreds and hundreds of dollars.  Now these guys have never been stall kickers and we don't anticipate them sticking their hooves through the walls, but I think the pallets would be as safe as any other board, right?  No sharp sides or anything, just wood. 

Let me know what you think.  And I know the hay insulation would add some fire hazards but it wont have power except solar and when we bring a generator to run the coke machine (for long work days out there).  I am going to put my old college couch out there and some old carpet we have from my dad's bank, and some blankets on top of the hay storage for nap time, lol. Should be a comfy little hang out space. :)
Allison

kckc

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2014, 09:07:09 am »

I have a couple of questions for you..... why do you need stalls?  why not an open area that the horses can come and go (3 sided) and stand together which is what mine do when it's cold and for companionship.   You do have  run in for them right?  You're not having them stand in their stalls?   I could see having one stall so that if you have to lock someone up.   

It's sunday so I'm sure you are already building - happy building!!   the only problems I see with pallets are this - thin wood, lots of nails, the open spaces in between the pallets looks like a hoof trap even if they are just rolling, the open space invite snakes, mice to habitate and unless you are insulating the ceiling then I don't think insulating the walls will help at all.   (I have been wrong before  :-)  )    There's nothing wrong with starting off with a roof and then adding the walls as you can.   I built my barn with  rough cut sawmill lumber and it blocks the wind.  My horses aren't in the barn anyway - whenever it's cold or windy they are clumped together in the trees  :-) 

Not raining on your parade but you asked...   :-)   
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 09:27:41 am »

Pallets are very thin, a person can walk on them and break them. 

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 12:48:22 pm »

well, I need at least one stall, because you can't have food anywhere near abel and be safe...he is food aggressive towards people and other horses.  I was thinking the pallets would be pretty thin, too, but the boards are 1 inch boards, which is what the barn I board at now has for it's walls... hmm...
Allison

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up