Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Horses and Wooded Property  (Read 2491 times)

oncidium

Re: Horses and Wooded Property
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 09:04:56 am »

I would be worried about impaling.  Seen it happen in a BAD way.  Not to my horses, and surely not my property.  But this person had tree areas and not once but 3-4 times different horses got hurt due to being impaled on sticking out branches.  Unless the horse was still wearing the tree limb protruding from their body, she couldn't ever find where it happened.

I do only mesh fencing.  Never do barbed wire.  Especially not in a wooded area.  Not safe.

We do have treed areas, and I walk, prune, pick up stuff all the time.  Anything which looks like it could penetrate the body, I fix, or take care of right away.  Result:  I have NEVER had a horse get injured in the pasture.  Nobody gets hurt here.  The deer do the damage to the fence.  Ok, and sometimes the lawn mower or tractor does.  But not a horse.  I prune things up high enough so I can mow with the tractor and not get whacked in the face or neck. 

rydincolor

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:57 am »

You have already received some good advice and support.  I have in the past had horses pastured in wooded areas with no open field or grass they do fine.  Eat the bark off a few trees but other than that nothing.  If they have plenty of hay and shelter they will adjust fine.  Took me awhile to get "fields".  Please don't use barb wire especially for a high wire iiiieeeeekk eye level cause you know they just have  to put their head over it.  I run electric tape and have never had a problem.  It might not be perfect timing but you sound like you will enjoy having them in the yard.
Some people are like dark clouds--when they go away the sun comes out.

Truth is a lonely warrior.

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:11:21 am »

We used the 1/4 inch electric rope they carry at Tractor Supply ($53 for 600 feet) and put up 3 strands, although if they respect it, 2 would have been plenty.

Liz, we've had drowned squirrel issues too!  Finally someone suggested we put a branch in the trough...and no more drowned squirrels.  Yuck though!
Karen

kckc

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 11:23:48 am »

I use the plastic electric fence posts to put in the water troughs and barrels for escape ladders - when they metal ends have been broken off.   
NC

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 11:28:44 am »

I think we will need 3 or 4 strands...Sydney is not very respectful of the fencing.  He uses it as "guidelines" and clears 5 ft fences easily.  So we will have HIGH and multi stranded fences for sure.

ok- nix the barbed wire.  I was iffy about it, too, but we have like 5 rolls already and we were trying to be cost effective.  Any horse-FRIENDLY ideas for barbed wire uses around the barn area?

Impaling.  The word make my throat catch.  Yikes.  Ok, so we are only leaving the mature trees, of which the branches should be high enough NOT to be a problem.  I always worried about them breaking their necks on a limb- that happened to someone here in ghs and I never forgot it.  So we will be trimming and preparing so they wont be running into limbs. 

Ok here is another question-  we are going to be less than a mile from where they were.  And they know how to get from here to there, because we ride it all the time.  Sydney loves his mare, who is not moving with us, and I'm worried about him hopping the fence or breaking the fence and going back over there.  Do you think this is an issue or am I crazy?
Allison

Proud mom to Sydney, saddlebred, Birch, TWH, and Abel, SSH.

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 11:29:33 am »

I am a squirrel rehabber...so I will not be allowing any squirrels to commit suicide under my watch.  Escape ladders it is, lol
Allison

kckc

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 12:05:06 pm »

take the barbed wire to a recycling center  :-)  (that way no one else uses it either)

for a jumping horse I know there are several suggestions I've seen in the past - I don't recall many but some are -- some sort of barrier that stops an approach to the fence so that he can't run up to the fence - it could be anything like rows of trees, fence at the top of the hill so he's running uphill if he wants to jump - put a bright strand of electric tape a few feet on the inside of the fence that will also stop him from getting to the fence to jump it -
I'd be careful how high you put the wire on the fence - if he still thinks he can get over it then if he fails he gets tangled or falls - scary

only other thing I can think of is a solid looking fence or a solid looking top to the fence - if he can't see the other side or it looks more imposing maybe he wouldn't even try it.  so it would look odd but for cost purposes an electric fence up to about 4 foot and then rails up another foot.    a couple of problems with this is part of the great thing about electric fence is you can space your posts 30 to 50 feet because the line posts are actually only holding the lines in place and seperated- if you use wood you would have to have posts every 8 foot which would be a dramatic cost increase.

As far as lots of rows of wire I really don't think that's necessary.  if the electric is on then they get shocked and they back off -- 3 strands would be a minimum and at least 18" off the ground allows deer to go under, fawns don't get stuck on the opposite side of their mothers, dogs don't get stuck inside the enclosure etc.   Extra rows really wouldn't only be necessary if you were keeping in big things like grizzlies that would just get mad at the shock and push on the wire - in that case you'd need additional posts and your head examined anyway. 
imo
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »

Six foot ought to deter a fence jumper. That or persuade you to sell him for puissance. http://www.wihs.org/lower.php?url=article&aid=376&story=tim+gredley+and+unex+valente+clear+6'11%22+(2.10m)+to+win+%2425%2C000+puissance+presented+by+the+boeing+company.

If the terrain is uneven with fencing on the downside of a slope, either reconfigure or add a second line of fencing 5 feet inside that location to turn it into a giant oxer.

fracturedfairytales

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 02:43:31 pm »

My horse is in a partially wooded area and I figured that since the little herd has hay or grass 24/7 I wouldn't have to worry about maple leaves. One day in late August though the tallest horse was reaching up to nibble on the lowest branch of a red maple. After that we took down branches and trees. The other thing we noticed was a toxic vine that had wound around some trees (Virginia Creeper I think it was). My advice would be to take down anything harmful and walk the property often to monitor.
The good thing about a wooded area is that the horses can choose alternatives to shelters to get out of the weather, bugs and lie down. They seem happy when they can do this.

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 04:07:08 pm »

oldnornery- lol, the first thing my trainer asked when he figured out that Sydney is a natural born jumper was if I would sell him.  Unfortunately he doesn't have the mindset for a crowded arena but he sure looks beautiful soaring over the fences to get to the "good grass" and then jumping back in when he sees you coming to put him back up, lol.
Allison

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 04:11:34 pm »

I went out there today but got so caught up in laying out everything that I forgot to take photos for ya'll.  It's about 2 acres I think.  We are getting very excited and are going to go ahead and make it 3 stalls, since I will be getting another horse within a year or two.  I will post photos tomorrow if possible.
Allison

Walkin45

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 05:04:34 pm »

SELL the barbed wire  if you are not going to use.

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 08:15:17 pm »

We are thinking about having some chickens...might use the barbed wire to coyote-proof the chicken house.  Or we will sell it...that's a good idea, too.  It came from my gma when she cleaned out my gpas workshop.

Anyway,  How much space do you think is acceptable per horse?  I know 2 acres is good for 2 or 3 horses, and I don't plan on having any more, but I'm just curious what is considered the acceptable space for a horse for long term keeping.  Sometimes I see horses in such small spaces...well I guess people even keep them in stalls, but I just don't think that's fair...imo, not judging anyone who rides their horse daily and yet they are in a stall, that's completely different than mine who don't get ridden enough as it is.
Allison

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 08:19:12 pm »

Oh and when we walked the area today and cut down a few saplings I figured out that we have a LOT of rocks I didn't know about! covered in leaves...how do I find them all?  yikes!

Also, there is a HUGE STEEP hill on one side of the area, I mean not like a cliff or anything, but is this safe? I mean...they will be ok, right?  Im sure Im over protective, I just don't know what I should and shouldn't be worried about. 
Allison

kckc

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:56 pm »

barbed wire will not keep the chickens safe.   it will just provide you with a little hair from whatever goes in :-)

on the steep hill the horses will avoid it or be careful.  just do not put your fence anywhere over the edge - either at the top or if at the bottom put it a long way from the base of the hill - that way is someone does stumble they do not roll into the fence  - of course walk them around the property before turning them loose on it and make sure it's broad daylight when you turn them out

rocks in my opinion is just a natural obstacle that they will learn to watch for and will toughen their hooves - if you remove rocks you may leave holes which I would be more scared of

at least 3 acres per horse of good established pasture is what you'd need as far as feeding them grass so you'll be feeding hay all year long.... but as far as room to roam they'll make trails and be fine.   

when you are cutting saplings look at the stob you are leaving.  if it sticks up an inch or is sharp it can injure a hoof - you may want to let the horses clear the area for you - their manure and urine will kill off some young stuff
NC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up