verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need DIY ideas for round bale feeders  (Read 84 times)

capecupcake

• Horses are my sanity
Need DIY ideas for round bale feeders
« on: February 06, 2019, 07:10:02 am »

We want to start using round bales in our pasture. I have been searching for months for a used feeder, but all I find are ones meant for cows. I thought of building something and found one that I thought would be perfect. But our barn owner insists that it be easily moved for when he has to mow. The wood one I wanted to build would be very heavy so I don't think we can do that. This is what I wanted to build, only taller sides for horses, instead of ponies.
Then I thought of using some wood framing with no climb wire fence to put around the bale.
Cost is a definite factor in this. New metal feeders are $340 and the net ones would get pushed around too much.
So, what ideas do you have?

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Need DIY ideas for round bale feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:55 am »

I will get photos of mine, but here is a description.

Round bales are netted in a Hay Chix hay net, and placed on top of a pallet.  That is important so it is off the ground and not molding under there.

Then I buy two hog panels.  Hog panels are about 30 inches high and have the wire mesh closer together at the bottom.  I bend each one in half and then each half in half.  I overlap two quarters on each side, so I end up with a hexagon .  I tie the overlapped edges together with plastic twine.  I can lift that up and over a netted bale all by myself. 
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:59 am »

How many horses in the pasture?   You might end up just better off with a hay hut if you have more than 2.   It's not cheap but it can be moved for mowing.
Agree with kysa on the net though - I'm not a fan of hog panels because of the size of the holes but there are horse panels with smaller holes.   And yes on something underneath to stop it from molding.... And a roof or it just gets rained on and then mold. 
As far as the building you show why couldn't it be mowed around?   or pea gravel put around the edges so grass didn't grow right there?   
I have used a bale buddy which I didn't like, a hay tunnel which was more pain/effort than it worked, I don't like metal rings (rust broken jagged pieces)… I have an AGI plastic ring which I like but no roof over it.    I have a hay hut which works really well and is moveable.   I also put up an inline shed (sort of similar to what you pictured) but I can access it from my side of the fence - sort of combination feeder shed for the hay and shelter. 
NC

capecupcake

• Horses are my sanity
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 08:34:28 am »

Kysa, that sounds good. Not sure where I would get hog panels though. But I will look. Can't wait to see pics.
I always use a pallet under the bale for air flow and so it doesn't sit on the ground.
kckc-I can't afford a hay hut. They are way out of my price range. Right now we have 5 horses in that pasture.

Walkin45

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 12:31:22 pm »

Sioux steel makes awessome plastic ones

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 01:04:41 pm »

Sioux steel does make nice horse round bale feeders out of plastic.  But at 120 pounds, I not consider that something to do alone.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up