Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold Weather Gloves Review  (Read 167 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Cold Weather Gloves Review
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:38:52 am »

I was reminiscing the other day about when this board had occasional discussions about products that work best and others, not so well...I even recall some threads about what underwear was best for riding, or maybe none at all....(I never got the courage to try thong underwear for riding, despite some rave reviews.)

So I will review my latest find in gloves. I require well-insulated gloves for serious winter, although Kysa may disagree whether winter temperatures in NW PA are to be taken seriously.  ::)  For some ridiculous reason, my brain gives the cue to sacrifice my fingers the minute cold air hits my face. My fingers don't get numb with cold - they literally feel like they've been smacked with a hammer within minutes. Then, in another 15 minutes or so, they suddenly start getting blood again. That first 15 minutes can almost bring me to tears.

I've found that high-tech ski gloves work the best and I'm always looking for a good deal because they don't come cheap.

My latest find in gloves: https://www.columbia.com/womens-whirlibird-ski-glove-1567801.html

They are well-insulated with a smooth, soft lining so they slide on easily. The fingers are pre-curved and flexible. (Pinkies are a little stiff, but the gloves aren't broke-in yet.) They're waterproof for hose handling. Best feature: They have a nice long gauntlet so they overlap my coat sleeve by @ 4". The longer gauntlet lets me easily make a fist inside my glove without letting cold air to my wrist. I have to be able to make a fist every few minutes to squeeze some blood back into my fingers.
I got mine at Amazon last week for $35. I highly recommend them.

Any other good reviews out there?

kckc

Re: Cold Weather Gloves Review
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:47:09 am »

can I ask you about your gloves please?   my problem with gloves is that when they fit they seem to restrict my thumb.   Like there is not enough movement allowed from the first finger to the thumb.   I never buy gloves online for that reason... I usually end up with gloves that are too big because there just isn't enough play between the thumb and finger.   And no, I don't think my hands are weirdly shaped  :-)   I have or maybe used to have double jointed thumbs.. .not sure that terminology is correct but mine used to move oddly, bend more or something when I was young...  :-)   (elbows backwards too :-)   tmi??  :-)
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:56:54 am »

Here is my review on Hot Fingers ski gloves.  I need ski gloves for the same reason Cyd does.  Yes, Cyd, I can usually beat you on raw temp, but I do think you have more damp cold than I do, and certainly a good reason to dress very warmly!

So, my biggest problem is getting gloves with short enough fingers.  If the fingers are too long, they get caught in everything.  I think Cyd bought me a pair of hotfingerrs at a local to her ski shop at least 10 years ago.  Since then, they have been my go to glove for winter chores. 

Pictured below is two years ago gloves, and a newer pair purchased a couple months ago.  I like the slightly curled fingers, and the plasticy stuff on the palm and fingers.  It is a rare thing for me to have to remove the gloves to get something done.  The gloves from two years ago, the plasticy stuff is deteriorating.  That is fine, they lasted well.  New this year is a piece of stretchy stuff next to the thumb joint.  VERY VERY good idea.  They do make these with a longer gauntlet, but I have the opposite problem of Cyd.  My coat sleeves are already too long for me, and a long gauntlet exacerbates the problem. 
Pictured is a woman’s size small which fits my fingers perfectly.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:33:53 pm »

Kysa, those are the same as my new pair of Hotfingers, the ones I complained about the gauntlet being too short. Now that they're broken in, I don't mind the fit, so I will save them for when the temps are milder.

KC, I was fortunate to be able to try these gloves on at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they were priced @ $60 there. I usually buy gloves toward the end of February on clearance, but I needed them now. Not only that, stores don't stock as many in large women's sizes so they're often gone by sale-time. So I took a picture of the ones I liked, came home and found them online at a much lower price. And I hear you about weird fits. You probably do use your thumb differently and need more mobility, or maybe you have long thumbs. I have broad hands...I guess? Even some large-sized women's gloves are too tight. I sometimes buy men's gloves, but usually the fingers aren't too long. I need the width, but not the length.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 04:36:02 pm »

Cyd, are you able to open double end snaps, put halters on and off with those gloves?
MJ

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 04:40:52 pm »

Yes, my stall doors have double end snaps and I can work them with these gloves. Pretty sure halters would not be a problem either.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 04:10:05 pm »

Thanks, Cyd,   I might just give them a try.
MJ

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:24:44 pm »

I mean, they're insulated gloves. You won't have the most dexterous fingers ever, but things are do-able.

Liberty1

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:26:07 pm »

I've had good luck with the thinsulate lined leather gloves from Tractor Supply.  The tag inside reads 10/4 job.  They're bright yellow so not pretty. 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 04:30:21 pm »

Those work for me once the temps are in the mid-upper 30s and above. If I didn't have serious circulation issues, I wouldn't always be on the hunt for the warmest, most flexible, exactly the right everything...

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »

Cyd,  I ordered the gloves, they arrived tonight.  Did chores tonight, they work just fine.   Thanks!!!!!!
MJ

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 06:19:28 pm »

Great, because I was thinking of you while I was working those double-end snaps tonight!

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 06:27:40 pm »

Everything feels a little awkward,I but I know I will get use to them, the snaps were no problem.  I've been wearing the knit gloves from Wal Mart, not meant for barn work, the ones that are 2 for 1.50.  :o     Hadn't found anything else yet, so your post was a blessing.   My hands were almost too warm, it isn't all that cold here, 25 degrees, 14 degree wind chill.  Tomorrow 11 for the high temp, later next week below zero.  So these came just in time.
MJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up