verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby teeth  (Read 205 times)

Liberty1

Baby teeth
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:17:55 pm »

So when is it normal for baby caps to come off?  Shadow is two and a half and his front teeth feel sharp and jagged - I think where  the caps are being  pushed out slowly.  They don't feel loose yet.  He's eating fine, not slobbering. 

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Baby teeth
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:22:00 pm »

From and equine dentist.

The deciduous teeth, or milk or baby teeth, are the first set of teeth that grow in a foal's mouth. These teeth may be apparent when the foal is born. Shortly after the young horse’s second birthday, these teeth are pushed out by the permanent adult teeth as they grow in. There are 24 in all and they are usually replaced entirely by the time the horse is about 5 years old. Occasionally, a young horse may need help shedding baby teeth. The caps, as they are called, may not fall out as they should, and may have to be removed by a veterinarian or equine dentist.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Liberty1

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 02:48:35 pm »

Thanks Kysa - I will keep an eye on them and be patient.

Liberty1

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 12:58:31 pm »

He lost a lower one in the front and 2 on top are loose!  Looks like a snaggle tooth smile for now! 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 07:05:08 pm »

Look at these photos, Carol. This is Dapper Dan's mouth with baby teeth and adult teeth at the same time. I don't remember for sure if Doc Allen pulled the baby teeth that day, but I'm thinking he did.

Liberty1

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 06:00:20 pm »

These pics make me feel better - the teeth look so wonky at this stage.  But Shadows teeth look a lot like Dans at this point.  All will be well.  Thank you Cyd. 

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 10:06:43 am »

My 2 yr 10 mo old mare has started losing her caps too. She has lost two from the bottom incisors so far. I found one in the metal hay trough last month.
It's interesting seeing them go through their different growth phases.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up