verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review of Ritchie auto heated waterer  (Read 123 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Review of Ritchie auto heated waterer
« on: January 11, 2019, 01:44:12 pm »

I feel I must give a review of my new one, since it is so different from the original.

I had a Ritchie automatic heated waterer that lasted over 30 years with little repairs.  I was very happy with it, recommenced the brand and style to others, and put in a new one in a new location 4 years ago.  I have repaired and replaced so much of it.  And in talking to others locally, apparently Ritchie waterers just aren't what they used to be.

I had trouble with the heat tape right away, but managed to fix it with the existing heat tape.  Earlier this fall we had to replace the two heaters under the water pan.  And yesterday we had to replace the heat tape.  All on a 4 year old waterer.  That is more repairs than i ever did on the old one in 30 years.

So...Not a brand I would recommend.

What I have

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:03:27 pm by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: Review of Ritchie auto heated waterer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:16:50 am »

This is really bad, because if you need one of these, you absolutely need it to be reliable. When one doesn't work, it's a major dilemma, usually occurring on the worst day of winter.

kckc

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:25:33 am »

I've heard some ongoing maintenance issues with these... now I wonder if they must be newer manufactures..
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:56:05 am »

Yes me too.  I know a man has waters over 30 years old. I have the one KC has. But I can’t remeber name. IF it

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:06:11 am »

Yes, KC.  The old ones were good, but new ones.....not so much.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 05:31:48 pm »

We put our ritchie in 3 yrs ago, and haven't had any trouble with it.  It doesn't get the use that Kysa's get...we only have 4 horses using ours, but it's worked flawlessly for 3 yrs.   It's a slightly different model than Kysa has also.
Karen
Pages: [1]   Go Up