Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Choking Scare Today  (Read 532 times)

ponymare

Re: Big Choking Scare Today
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 11:14:42 pm »

Well, we never will again. So sad we took advice without researching more. He had never had this problem before this. A bad episode will scare you to death.

Cashela

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 11:46:31 am »

From my understanding, a horse with choke is still able to breathe. 

https://equusmagazine.com/management/response-choke-53083
Jenn-New Hampshire

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 01:27:31 pm »

We don't feed a lot of pelleted feed, but after reading this thread from beginning to end, I'm SO thankful that my gelding "told" me about his concerns before it could turn into a choke.  He would eat the 1 Cup of Nutrena Maintenance (pelleted), but always left the powdery or granular supplements, as well as refusing about half of the psyllium pellets we were feeding first 7 days of each month.  Vet told me that I NEEDED to get him eating the psyllium, even if it meant only feeding a 1/4 or 1/2 dose a day, for longer periods.  But that didn't solve the issue of the powdery/granulated stuff left @ the bottom of his feed bucket, so  I decided to try adding just a little water to his pellets/supplements, and he gobbled it all down, first try and ever since.  Now what I do is mix the usual stuff together, get it good and moist, then top w/ the psyllium pellets--which benefit from being on top of the moistened part, and start to blend in right away.  He STILL is eating everything, including AZ Copper Complete which he was completely refusing to touch before I started adding water.  We're fortunate here that it's not so cold as to freeze on contact, so life is good!  I learned how much it pays to pay attention to what they're trying to tell us!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 09:18:03 pm »

Latest report on Fargo. He is.doing well. Still 3 feedings/day. I am back to feeding him his Total Equine/cheaper higher-fat pellet mix plus supplements dry again twice a.day. But the midday meal of 2lg quarts alfalfa pellets.I soak with hot water and coconut oil faithfully*

The 3 meals/day (argh!!!) Plus Manna Pro senior fat builder ( can't remember exact name) seem to be helping. He has regained.some.weight, top line looks a little better. He had just lost all muscle tone until he felt.like only a thin layer of.soft mush was covering his bony frame. He feels a little.firmer now tho only a shadow of his younger self.

Thank you all for.asking.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 05:59:57 am »

Good that the changes are helping him.  It is SO tough trying to figure out the right combinations for our grand old gentlemen. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

misstux

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 11:55:23 am »

Great news about Fargo!

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 01:09:40 pm »

Glad he is doing better.  Keeping weight on some of these horses can be so challenging.  And, they are all so different, it's just a crap shoot sometimes, trying to figure out what will work.
MJ

Riderkat

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 03:12:57 pm »

I actually choke in a similar way to horses, at times when I'm super tired or anxious or both, I'll get stuck. I can breathe, but I cannot swallow. Everything that is stuck, is coming back up and out of my mouth or nose.  It happens in waves of rejection LOL.  Yep, it's gross. and Yes, it hurts, and it is spasmodic, but again= I can breathe. anything I try to swallow just makes me panic and get that much more upset. So yeah- I don't try that anymore. I wait it out, I chill out by the sink and rinse my mouth maybe, but nothing down my throat, no way.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 08:43:03 pm »

So happy to report, Fargo doing amazingly well. Has gained vet guesses about 75-100 lbs. And much of it is muscle and even around topline. Unfortunately, didn't get rid of the age-give-away sag in his back but he really really looks good now. It's.still 3 feedings a day (pain!), soaking the alfalfa, and enough supplements to break the bank, but I want him with me as long as possible.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up