Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manna Pro Weight Accelerator?? Any Success?  (Read 146 times)

fargos handmaiden

Manna Pro Weight Accelerator?? Any Success?
« on: December 19, 2018, 04:38:20 am »

Just started Fargo on it yesterday. Really losing weight.

Has anyone used it? Any success? How much? Instructions give such a wide variance on amount to give
 At his best weight I would guess Fargo weighed about 900-950.

I am feeding two times a day now, between 2.5-3 quarts Equine Total. each plus 1/3 C coconut oil and 1/2 C corn oil divided between these two meals. 24/7 access to coastal round bale and pasture. I worried about Cushings but I don't think I see Cushings symptoms.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Manna Pro Weight Accelerator?? Any Success?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:47:35 am »

I hope that Kysa will be able to provide more scientific input, but I'd be concerned that that amount of oil will throw off the balance of Omega 6's vs. Omega 3's.  Higher O-6's can contribute to inflammatory process.  If Fargo has arthritis going on, the high proportion of O-6's could make that worse. 
When I was trying to rehab an OLD (30+ years old) horse some years ago, I saw most success by making a "porridge" of Equine Senior, soaked beet pulp shreds, and alfalfa hay that I crumbled up into bite sized lengths.  Fed at least twice a day, and when I could get home mid-day and on weekends, I fed same amount mid-day.
Best wishes--it's tough when ravages of age take their toll.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pasolady

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 05:05:34 am »

One sign of Cushings is weight loss, plus the chance of laminitis.  Many times the long hair, etc. is not present.  You won't know unless you have him tested.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:30:11 am »

At Fargo‚Äôs age, PPID or Cushings is a real possibility.  Obviously, you want to feed an older horse the best you can, but I agree with checking the possibility of PPID.  It may be that he needs medication to maintain body score and prevent laminitis.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:39:41 pm »

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up