verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Your Worming Schedule?  (Read 366 times)

oncidium

What is Your Worming Schedule?
« on: December 03, 2018, 05:28:49 am »

I worm every 5 weeks Ivermectin.

1-2 Times a year with Equimax. 

If a horse has neck thread worms or is itchy a lot (pin worms can do this also) , I double the dose of Ivermectin (2 tubes), and worm in 2 week intervals, and I do this three times.  So, 6 qty net total of Ivermectin per horse.

O

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing.  Laura Ingalls Wilder

Life is short, and it is here to be lived.  Kate Winslet

If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.  Sterling Holloway (best known as the voice of Winnie the Pooh)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: What is Your Worming Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 05:55:51 am »

Twice a year, once in the spring with either fendbendezole or ivermectin and once in the fall with either ivermectin or quest.  I have a several year rotation. 
No more than that unless a horse has issues that could be parasites.  We need to deworm less often so the parasites don’t develop any more resistance than they already have. 

Young horses would be the exception to my rules, but the youngest horse on my place is 4.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:16:03 am »

twice a year - zimectin gold and something else I can't think of right now
NC

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:10 am »

we have a focal test done once a year. For the past 3 years, 0 count.
On the advice of our vet  we deworm once a year usually in January with ivertmectin
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 07:57:28 am »

Very similar to Claudia. On advice of our vet, we had a fecal test done. If a low shedder, which ours are (Legs was different), then we worm once or at most twice a year. Legs shed a higher count and we wormed him three times a year. Like Kysa mentioned, worming too often has consequences.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

PAWalker

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:26:47 pm »

Twice yearly.  I might worm a 3rd time,  if I suspect pinworms in late summer, with Rusty.

I usually wait until December because hard frosts can be hard to come by in southern Middle Tennessee.  I generally use Zimectrin Gold.

I take fecals to the vet in the Spring.  Both of mine are fairly low shedders.  One is IR and deals with ulcer flare ups, so I let the vet make that de-worming recommendation.  He also looks into the future and gives me a couple of options for the December de-worming:)

Both my horses have been on daily probiotics for as long as I can remember but I add 30 days of Succeed to the IR horse's diet to help buffer his hind gut issues:)

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 05:23:39 pm »

Pretty much like Claudia's.   Except for one horse that is a shedder.
MJ

Pasolady

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 05:35:15 am »

I use Quest plus in the spring, then Equimax in the fall after a hard frost. Zimectrine Gold has been known to cause burns in some horses mouths/throats, so I don't use it though had no problems the few times I did.  Like Judy I will use Ivermectin mid summer for pin worms.

oncidium

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 04:52:30 am »

We now have cows on three sides of our property, many wet areas, lots of wild life travel across our property, warmth and plenty of other bugs 9 months or more a year due to heat humidity rain etc. 

Different areas, and climates, worm accordingly. 

Last year my mare was so covered with bots the entire season, I have never seen them so bad on a single horse.  Got pin worms really bad.  I was at a boarding place while we built a house, and they worm only a couple times a year.  No cows nearby, just the horses there, same climate and wild life.  Fancy fancy Dressage eventing barn.  I will never board again.  It was a terrible experience.  My "friend" didn't take care of my precious mare.  She is safe on our property now.  And has gained back all the weight she lost from 1k to 825.  That is another story. 

O

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 06:10:07 am »

If you get a fecal test done, the worming schedule will be pretty easy to figure. Now, we didn't do that for years. Couple years ago we decided to answer this question once and for all. Our vet said without the test you'll just be guessing. Fecal tests are not expensive.

Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

luvmysmh

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 06:39:49 am »

Did a fecal test a few years back and it was determined that Wish was a high shedder.  As such, he gets wormed 4 times a year:  winter ivermectin, spring pyrantel, summer ivermectin, fall quest plus.  I'm currently at a barn where every boarder takes care of their own.  I suspect a lot of them never get wormed at all.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 07:22:02 am »

Our vet has recommended fecal tests.  We haven't done that yet, and are on quarterly rotation worming for now.  In desert southwest and w/ regular manure management, intestinal parasites tend to not be as prolific as they might otherwise be.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

oncidium

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 04:09:46 pm »

Define a “shedder”.

I had a coggins pulled and split farm call with somebody. It was well over $100.  I could have hauled there and back 5 times for that price.

Not sure I want to pay for a fecal. Sounds very pricey.

Not all worms shed into poop.

Just discussing not fussing. Working ia a good topic.

Ivermectin is under $2 a tube. I have plenty btw.

O

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »

Worming protocol

This should explain things pretty well. An article on our vet’s website.

kckc

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 05:53:16 pm »

wormers are cheaper than a fecal...but I want as least poison in my horses system as possible... and of course the damned worm resistance
NC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up