Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on possible purchase  (Read 918 times)

EllieJ

Re: Opinions on possible purchase
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 01:12:49 pm »

Well, I guess maybe it worked out for the best.   I was supposed to go out today to see and ride this mare (5 hour drive from me) and at 10:30pm last night i got a message from seller saying she couldn't meet me today.  Now all the ads are down and I can't get a hold of seller so I think she sold the horse.  I don't know why it would be hard to tell me. I spoke to her for 40 minutes on the phone yesterday and she mentioned nothing.  how nice.

EllieJ

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 01:17:08 pm »

To me based on video the horse has been ridden like a QH. And, that doesn’t bode well for gait.

I do not like the long straight hocks in the hind of this horse. They should be much lower set for a smooth ride. Also this may be why the horse paces.

I would not buy a horse who paces at all. Ever. It is hard to train out. Even for the very advanced rider. Which I consider myself as one.

This horse also camel walks. Lots of movement front to back for the rider.

Horse needs to be collected and not ridden strung out like the QH he is following.

A friend bought a paso and she rode it like a reining QH western pleasure QH and the horse started to pace and it never quit. Gaits in pasture 100% under saddle paces. True story.

I would ride every gaited horse you can find to test ride. Get off the color hunt. You can’t ride a color.

Look for low set hocks. They should have a nice angle to them and no post legged horses.

Only your butt and your body will tell you which horse is right for you. Not the color.

If you can get a couple gaited riding friends to go with to test ride.

Maybe somebody here
Lives close to you that will go with to test ride. Also be aware just because a horse being ridden looks smooth doesn’t make it so. Once again only your body will know if it is truly smooth. A rider can do a lot in the seat to make it appear smooth under saddle. Same is true for non gaited.
O

thank you so much. this was very helpful. I promise i'm not shopping for color, in fact, i would prefer less white on a horse.  Mind first, soundness and movement second. 

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 02:13:06 pm »

Well, at least you didn't take the long ride for nothing.  Where was the horse located.
Judi, Ace and Tressje fan Winn (aka Miss T.)

EllieJ

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 02:23:41 pm »

Well, at least you didn't take the long ride for nothing.  Where was the horse located.

New York and I live in central New Hampshire.

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 04:40:08 pm »

Where are you in New England? Fox Willow Farm in Livingston Manor,NY has some outstanding MFTs for sale. www.foxwillowfarm.com is the website.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 4 yo MFT  mare.

kckc

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 09:00:34 pm »

people... ugh... horse could be a little lame or something and she didn't want to say because she'll eventually advertise again ??  good luck in your search
NC

luvmysmh

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 07:13:35 am »

As a person who was a novice to gaited horses and purchased a hard pacing horse, I would say it all worked out for the best.  I would NOT recommend getting a hard pacer if you don't know anything about gaited horses.  Been there and got the t-shirt  ;)

Wish was a hard pacer, but the dealer I bought him from assured me that he had a lovely gait hiding in there.  Well I can tell you that in 12 years of owning him, I have only seen glimpses of that lovely gait.  Pacing is definitely his gait of choice.  He paces in the field at liberty.  I can get him to step pace, but if he is tired or out of condition or doesn't like the footing he will pace.  Going into a new footing will cause him to pace and I have to work to get him out of it.  For instance, this past summer I took him to an event, and I had to ride around the sand ring 4 or 5 times before I could get him accustomed to the footing and get him back to a step pace.  Once he adjusted, we were fine.    Some days he "bounces" in and out of gait, and it drives me crazy.  Every few steps he does this little stutter step as he changes back and forth; it is extremely uncomfortable.  I have read all of the books, I have walked him until we were bored out of our minds, I have done basic dressage with him.  I don't live in an area with lots of gaited horses, and the Walker people around here tend to just jump in the saddle and take off without worrying about what their gait is like or whether their horse is moving properly.  I've been afraid to canter him because I don't know how to do either the upward transition or the downward transition without getting a pace on either end.

Now, I will say that when we get it together, it is LOVELY!!!!  But I have to really work at it to get it.  I wouldn't trade him for anything because he is a fabulous horse, but it has been a lot of hard work - much more than I expected to be doing at this stage of my life.  One thing I know for sure is that if there is another horse in my future at some point, I intend to buy one that is completely and totally set in his gaits.  I want one that has a nice walk, a lovely gait, and a soft canter.  And I don't want to have to work too hard to get them!!

EllieJ

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:04 pm »

Where are you in New England? Fox Willow Farm in Livingston Manor,NY has some outstanding MFTs for sale. www.foxwillowfarm.com is the website.

Marilyn

thank you!

i think they may not have a business anymore? the link doesn't work and it doesn't come up when i google.  (i'm not tech savvy though, so it might be wrong)

EllieJ

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:38 pm »

very true. that would have been super frustrating.

EllieJ

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 12:20:35 pm »

people... ugh... horse could be a little lame or something and she didn't want to say because she'll eventually advertise again ??  good luck in your search

yeah, it's going to work out for the best.  i'm guessing i dodged a bullet.

EllieJ

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 12:22:20 pm »

thank you so much for sharing your story.   It is scary and overwhelming when new to something and it's so easy to be taken advantage of.   I'm so glad you have a happy ending though.  much respect for hanging in there, not giving up, and for loving that horse and accepting him for the way he is.  <3

I'm so lucky to have found this forum. Every one has been so helpful and encouraging.  I am truly blessed, Slamduncan has taken me under her wing and is helping me find my future partner. <3

As a person who was a novice to gaited horses and purchased a hard pacing horse, I would say it all worked out for the best.  I would NOT recommend getting a hard pacer if you don't know anything about gaited horses.  Been there and got the t-shirt  ;)

Wish was a hard pacer, but the dealer I bought him from assured me that he had a lovely gait hiding in there.  Well I can tell you that in 12 years of owning him, I have only seen glimpses of that lovely gait.  Pacing is definitely his gait of choice.  He paces in the field at liberty.  I can get him to step pace, but if he is tired or out of condition or doesn't like the footing he will pace.  Going into a new footing will cause him to pace and I have to work to get him out of it.  For instance, this past summer I took him to an event, and I had to ride around the sand ring 4 or 5 times before I could get him accustomed to the footing and get him back to a step pace.  Once he adjusted, we were fine.    Some days he "bounces" in and out of gait, and it drives me crazy.  Every few steps he does this little stutter step as he changes back and forth; it is extremely uncomfortable.  I have read all of the books, I have walked him until we were bored out of our minds, I have done basic dressage with him.  I don't live in an area with lots of gaited horses, and the Walker people around here tend to just jump in the saddle and take off without worrying about what their gait is like or whether their horse is moving properly.  I've been afraid to canter him because I don't know how to do either the upward transition or the downward transition without getting a pace on either end.

Now, I will say that when we get it together, it is LOVELY!!!!  But I have to really work at it to get it.  I wouldn't trade him for anything because he is a fabulous horse, but it has been a lot of hard work - much more than I expected to be doing at this stage of my life.  One thing I know for sure is that if there is another horse in my future at some point, I intend to buy one that is completely and totally set in his gaits.  I want one that has a nice walk, a lovely gait, and a soft canter.  And I don't want to have to work too hard to get them!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:26:12 pm by EllieJ »

Kalli

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 04:55:57 pm »

Welcome to this wonderful discussion board! 😊

If you are on Facebook, search for Alix Didrich.  She is the owner of Foxwillow Farm Gaited Horses. She has a FB page under her name and a separate page under her farm name, too. She has recently posted some young stock for sale in the Facebook page called “Missouri Fox Trotters for sale” and some other FB pages.  Not sure if she has any older, trained horses for sale but once you find her on FB you could message or call and ask.

I’m an older advanced beginner. I had a similar experience as the one described by luvmysmh. I bought my ssh at the age of 3 because of his great mind. He gaited when I tried him out but when I got him home he wasn’t set in his gait and started pacing. In the 8 years that I’ve owned him he’s become such a fabulous trail partner and I absolutely love him. Over the years I attended 2 separate clinics given by 2 well known gaited clinicians and started to get a step pace which is smooth but I wanted a 4 beat gait. Finally took my gelding to a gaited trainer last year. Right away she got a flat walk, running walk and rack from him!  Now, she did change his trim, but she told me he went right into gait for her. So I have to accept that the problem is likely me!

I think I need to be more relaxed in the saddle. I had a back injury years ago and I’m very protective of my back. So I think even though I don’t mean to do it, I tense my back to protect it. Been working on that. I can now get a 4 beat on an incline or on a flat softer surface, like grass or sand.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted on your progress! 

luvmysmh

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 07:11:27 am »

I totally agree that the problem with Wish's gait could very well track to me.  But therein lies the problem.  I really needed the assistance of a knowledgeable gaited horse person.  My instructor was fabulous.  She helped me a lot.  The only reason I can get the gaits that I get is because of her.  She worked with us on some basic dressage that was not show-ring dressage.  It helped tremendously.  But in the end I really feel I needed the help of a gaited horse trainer or instructor and there are none in my area.  Wish is now 15, and I've owned him since he was 3.  That is 12 years of working at this thing.  At this stage of the game, I feel we have both done the best we could with what we had, and I am content.  But as I said, the next purchase I make (if I make another one) will be a horse that is totally and completely set in its gaits.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2018, 04:25:08 pm »

luvmysmh,  I totally agree with buying a horse that is completely set  in gait, unless the rider is knowledgeable in getting and maintaining gait.
  I was fortunate enough to buy a horse that will gait, no matter how the rider rides, even 1st time riders.  I'm sure she would gait without a bridle and bareback.  In other words, no special gaited bits or gaited saddle needed with her.
MJ

luvmysmh

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 06:39:39 am »

Sounds like heaven  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up