verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Round Bale Option  (Read 173 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Another Round Bale Option
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:02:31 am »

This is not my own unique idea, but something I saw at Equine Affaire a few years ago. There was an organization there called Swedish Hoof School that was promoting hoof care and methods for slow feeding hay.

We net the round bale, then tip it so the tether is at the top. There's a gate you can't see in this picture. (It's currently open and the latch is barely visible under Pete T's chin.) Rob closes the gate and uses it to step on top of the bale. He runs the tether over the pulley, then gets down and ties it off to a support beam. (Before discovering he could use the gate, he was using a stepladder.) Over the next 5-6 days, he'll pull up the slack a couple times. This is his job because he's better at tying knots. We never actually lift the bale off the ground, just keep it pulled up so it doesn't flatten out and get walked on, shoved around or otherwise trashed. As the bale gets lighter, the horses do push it around a bit, but it's not going anywhere. We have very little waste with this method.

I should add, this Hay Chix round bale net is 3-5 years old. (I don't know if it's the newer one or the older one.) It has been pawed at relentlessly, walked on, dragged through mud and taken every form of abuse horses can dish out. Occasionally I find a hole and repair it with a zip tie. Typically the holes are from catching on the tractor, not horse abuse. I close up the holes with small zip ties, snip the ends flush and you'd have a hard time locating the repair. These nets are TOUGH!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:19:05 am by stablemind »

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Another Round Bale Option
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:24:32 am »

Definitely a good idea.  I should take a photo of my round bale in the leaky water tank option.  I currently have one horse here in front shoes for a hoof problem, and I need to make sure the horse cannot catch the shoe on either the net, or a wire round bale feeder.  So I use leaky 300 gallon water tanks.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 08:38:40 am »

that worries me … that much extra weight on a single rafter... if a horse did get caught or pull the weight would increase.   Maybe something built expressly for the hay similar....   HA and I'd have to learn how to tie knots  :-) :-)   thanks for sharing
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 09:14:02 am »

All we're doing is keeping enough tension on the tether so the net doesn't go flat - not lifting the bale. If a horse got caught in the suspended net, the rope would most certainly break before the rafter gave way. Our horses have eaten from these nets lying on the ground for at least 5 years with no incidents other than pooped on hay.

I would have to get rid of horses if I worried too much. Anxiety would get the better of me.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 03:50:24 pm »

I’m with Cyd, I just refuse to worry too much.

This is my latest round bale feeder idea.  I have holes cut in the bottom of the 300 gallon water tank, so it won’t hold water even when it rains.  I open the bale net, and put the center link in the middle of the water tank and the net down around the sides.  I put in an 800-900 pound round bale, pull off the netwrap, then bring the bale net to the top and tie it closed.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »

yeah anxiety is a bitch to live with :-(
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 07:00:56 pm »

I understand and relate to that, KC, which is why I try to avoid it when I can.

Kysa, that's also pretty creative and your round bale is a tight fit in that tank!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 07:20:22 pm »

It's not as tight as you might think. When I first put it in there I have 4 to 6 inches all the way around. But as the horses eat it kind of settles down and then it's a tight fit.

kckc

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 07:58:20 pm »

thanks … I never used to be this way... older age and handling everything alone I think has exacerbated  the  situation :-)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:20:26 am by kckc »
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 04:07:10 am »

Mine have shoes so I’d be afraid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up