Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changes they keep coming  (Read 119 times)

Opal

Changes they keep coming
« on: October 31, 2018, 06:13:05 am »

As most of you know I bought Cuervo from Nelda in August 2017.  He is one of the most beautiful horses on the planet, and I mean inside and out.  Wonderful personality, sweetest horse you could ask for.  I've spent 14 months training him to move off leg pressure, neck rein, camp.. you name it, I've done it with this guy.  Not to mention he's pretty..  ;)  At the end of June 2018 I moved him to a new boarding facility that is only 4 miles from my home, which has turned out awesome for both of us.  One thing has persistently bothered me, and that is him tripping when you are riding him.  I've looked at everything, saddle fit, hoof angle, tried different shoes, used a crop and spurs.. and I have drove hundreds of my horse friends crazy asking questions.  I've worked him over ground poles, used a surcingle and side reins, changed bits.. everything.  What I've come to realize is, that he prefers to mosey.  If you let him take his good old time doing whatever speed he feels like, no tripping.  NONE.  I've experimented with it a few times, putting him in the middle, front and back of our riding group, and taking him out alone.  When you ask him for anything more than a mosey he just can't seem to control his feet (not to mention he is a tourist, he looks at all the pretty flowers, and the trees.. and.. and.. LOL  Not spooking, just he likes to look around and see things).  I've had the chiropractor out, plus a massage therapist, along with 2 different vets, and I paid a professional saddle fitter to evaluate him.  Just trying to rule out everything I could.  I adore this horse.. I mean.. you have no idea.  He's such a joy to be around, and those eyes.. He melts my heart every time I see him.  I can't help it LOL.  So.. anyway.. I decided a few months ago to slow down my riding style and see if I could make this work out.  The problem is that I'm miserable, and he's miserable.  Cuervo is so intuitive, he can read your mind, I'm not kidding.  He tries so hard to please, but a couple of months ago he tripped and fell on a trail while going downhill and I flew headfirst in the ground.  I broke my helmet and my nose, and was pretty sore.  I got back on and rode, but my confidence in him is GONE.  My barn owner Ashley has been telling me since July when I moved in that I needed to see her friends TWH mare, because she was perfect for me and Cuervo was perfect for them.  I ignored her (as I usually do when someone suggests something I don't want to hear lol) and kept trying to make this work with Cuervo.  Well a couple of weeks ago I went to pick him up for a trail ride and he was a little sore in right hind leg, had some swelling.  Best I can figure is he twisted it in the neverending mud we have right now in Ohio.  So I was whining around while I was cold hosing his leg, and Ashley again suggested I see her friends horse.  Apparently she had talked to him and he told her I could borrow his mare anytime I wanted because she needed ridden and they were happy to let me put some time on her.  So Ashley and I headed over to take a look at her.  Unbelievable, but the people that own this horse are the ones that bought Lura's Aunt Connie's old house!  Where I had met Lura at so many years ago!  I was stunned.. plus I realized I had been looking at this mare for months and admiring her as I drove past the house.  So anyway.. I decided to try her out as a backup horse.  In the middle of all the talking, the guy mentioned that Banjo (the mare) was actually his fiancé's horse, but that she was afraid of her because she is too forward (music to my ears!).  She wanted a horse that would just hang out, be loved on and have the occasional ride up the road.  Ashley started pushing us back and forth, and it was soon obvious that she was right (don't tell her I said that!) that we each had the perfect horse for the other.  I spent a couple of sleepless nights messaging back and forth with a few good friends, including and most importantly Nelda.  She gave her approval and after trying out the mare to be sure she was what I was looking for, we traded horses.  The best part?  They are leaving Cuervo with us for awhile and I am giving the family lessons.  The family has 2 little blonde angel girls who fell in love with Cuervo at first sight.  They cried when they had to leave the barn.  So when they are ready he will go to live with them and I'm sure that's when my crying will start.  it happened so fast my head is spinning, but I feel like it was the best decision for everyone involved.  Cuervo will have a great home, large pasture with another palomino TWH gelding as his friend.  The family doesn't ride much, he will mostly be a pet, but I know he will be safe for them to mosey around on, which is what they wanted.  I've given him the best start I can, he is so broke my daughter rides him with no tack at all, and Caity (his new owner) is learning all his buttons. 

My new mare is a black pinto TWH named Banjo's Delight.  She reminds me so much of Faith, and man does she have mare attitude! LOL  She's always making nasty mare faces, although it is all a bluff, she wouldn't hurt a fly.  I took her camping while she was on trial with me, and she was awesome.  Very sure footed, and that's when I realized I had been holding my breath with Cuervo.  I was able to relax on her, and it became clear in my mind how defensively I had been riding this year before I got on her.  I've ridden her several times now, and done a lot of groundwork with her.  She is what I would consider green, she's had some rides in but doesn't know much.  So we are learning each other.  She's not as pretty as Cuervo but I'm trying not to compare them because she is beautiful in her own right.  I feel like I've done the right thing but the thought of him leaving the barn still makes me sad.  I've NEVER had a horse that would bat his eyelashes to get out of trouble, but Cuervo does!  He has this hair flip thing down too.. he certainly knows how to play the heart strings.  Its a hard transition for me, and that's saying something because I've had a lot of horses come and go.  I'm so grateful that Nelda trusted me with him, and that she was so understanding and actually is helping me through this.  I wish every breeder was as thoughtful and considerate as she has been!

Oh, and before I forget, Nelda has decided to sell her horses, trailer etc.  She has RA and its getting harder for her to care for the property and the animals, so if anyone is looking for some nice horses she has Jigsaw and Happy for sale. 

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Changes they keep coming
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 08:59:54 am »

Everything happens for a reason....So glad things are working out with your new mare and that Cuervo has found himself a great home!  We put so much into our horses that sometimes it's really hard to admit when it's just not the right match.

I've done that song and dance with Encore a zillion times.  Turns out he's an absolutely fantastic, forward, brave, strong and fun trail horse.  Not sure he'll ever make a good field trial horse, but our time will be spent trail riding for now, so it's all good.
Karen

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:15:10 am »

Opal, congrats on doing the correct thing for ALL involved.
Karen, Karen, Karen, I told you when you first got our boy Encore, what would happen with him.  Yep Auntie Judi is all happy here in RI about Encore.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 05:12:11 am »

A sure footed horse makes all the difference.
I hate that Nelda is havin trouble. She has a dam good truck if she’s selling that. And her horses are dam god also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up