Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone feed their horses Barn Bag?  (Read 239 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Anyone feed their horses Barn Bag?
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:29 am »

I've considered switching a couple of my horses to Barn Bag. They are currently getting Purina Enrich Plus 30 ration balancer, 1lb/day. I'd like to hear from anyone who's using it or has used it in the past. Pros, cons, etc. (Barn Bag is a pelleted supplement that you feed about 1/2 cup/day.

https://www.lifedatalabs.com/products/equine-forage-balancer/barn-bag

Ingredients / Analysis: https://www.lifedatalabs.com/bb-ingredients-and-guaranteed-analysis

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Anyone feed their horses Barn Bag?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 08:33:04 am »

No but I have seriously considered it.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:36:32 am »

Great minds think alike?

kckc

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:59:47 pm »

I've never heard of it and the blasted site won't let me in unless I agree to their policies  :-(
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 05:50:35 am »

Curious as to why you are considering the switch? Isn't it just a different ration balancer? Is it lower in starch than the Purina?
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 05:55:09 am »

The Purina ration balancer is still a feed. The horses in question are extreme easy keepers and I'd like to supplement vitamins and minerals without adding calories.

McKenzie 1

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 07:25:56 pm »

Enrich isn't a feed. It's a ration balancer

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:57:35 pm »

I realize it's not a feed that supplies a lot of calories. But the recommended amount is still 1-2 lbs/day and Purina describes it as a "ration balancing concentrated feed". I was thinking of switching to Barn Bag because it's just a little scoop, not a meal. Just wanting to do the best I can for some easy keepers. Still feeding the Enrich + for now.

1950Racking

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:31:17 pm »

I have a personal supplement mixture that I began using about a year ago that seems to be working great.   I have 5 horses, that after a year, all their hooves are better than ever.   I didn't compare all the components of Barn Bag, but my formula is contains more than twice as much biotin, and I feed only 1 ounce per day.   I sprinkle it on top of about a cup of shelled corn, so they will eat it.    I don't mind sharing the formula.   PM if interested.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:33:37 pm by 1950Racking »

PAWalker

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »

When I was looking for a vit/min supplement for my IR horse, I would have given Barn Bag serious consideration for two reasons:

1.  It does not have added iron, which most horses don't need.

2.  The. NSC value is low.

FWIW, I feed HorseTech's High Point for grass fed horses.  It only requires 3 ounces daily, does not have added iron, and carries a very low NSC guarantee. 

It still costs 70 cents per horse daily but I think they had to raise their prices a bit.  I will still feed it and cut corners in my own kitchen, if I have to:)

I have been feeding it since Fall 2014 and am happy with the results. 

I mix it and the other needed supplements with straight Timothy pellets and a bit of water.  I only feed 2-1/2 measuring cups of Timothy pellets 2X/daily this time of year.  That goes down to one cup once the grass comes back.

**** Those not familiar with metabolic horse issues --- too much iron depletes copper and zinc, both of which are need to stabilize insulin, along with hoof and coat health.

Many of us live on high iron soil (pastures), along with the hay we feed.  Iron in the drinking water also affects copper:zinc. --- it does not need to be added to ration balancers or condensed vit/min supplements --- that excess iron is the bane of the Easy Keepers existence IMO:)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:11:03 pm by PAWalker »

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 08:06:20 pm »

This topic makes me crazy.  We recently had to switch our horses back to "imported from Arizona" Bermuda hay due to EMS/laminitis when feeding locally grown alfalfa.  So now I'm adjusting their supplements, again.  We're feeding AZ Copper Complete, but this thread has me wondering if I need to add "something".  They get 1 cup of pelleted "Maintenance" feed daily.  AZ Complete, a half dose of Farriers Formula double strength, 1 tsp. of Mag Ox, 1 T. of loose white salt.  My concern now is "vitamin E".  We have NO grass at all here, and it appears that Vit. E is a nutrient that they really may need supplemented year round.  Oh, AND we have high iron in our well water, so we NEVER use anything w/ iron in it.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

PAWalker

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 05:21:31 am »

loneelk, You aren't alone -- this subject makes any horse owner crazy -- I blame all my gray hair on dealing with metabolic issues.

Vitamin E -- IMHO, yes to adding Vitamin E, especially in the winter.

I buy mine from HorseTech.  It is human grade and does NOT have selenium added, although you can buy Vit E that way if you're soil is low in selenium and you know your imported hay is also low in selenium.

I feed 2,500 IU daily to both my horses, one of which is in IR remission. 

The IR horse has improved some in hoof/coat health, and energy.

The other horse has environmental issues.  The Vitamin E has made a dramatic improvement in his itching -- he has stopped itching, his flaky dandruff is completely gone and the flakey dandruff that used to gather around his anal area is gone and that means ---- no more itchy butt! :)

His mane has grown for the first time in many years because the Vitamin E stopped him from itching his crest therefore letting the mane grow instead of breaking off:)

My horses are both early 20's so I will probably keep them both on the Vitamin E even after the grass comes back in the Spring.  I may cut it back -- I dunno, it just depends ---

One more thing to give me gray hair, lollollol

EDITED TO ADD:

A few folks on another forum use the Vitamin E from Santa Cruz Animal Health -- it's supposed to be cheaper than Horse Tech's but I haven't run the numbers.

https://www.scahealth.com/scah/home/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9uuLqf6S4AIVFEsNCh01ZwXBEAAYASAAEgLIL_D_BwE
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:29:25 am by PAWalker »

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 10:21:58 am »

TY for the tip about Vit E from Horse Health/Santa Cruz!  Everything I'd read, people were talking about using human gelcaps.  We have to moisten our supplements anyway, so easy peasy to just add the powdered E to their buckets.  The closest we ever have gotten to real grass/grazing is a little patch of grass that used to be our "front yard" when we still lived in the m/h.  After moving into our house, we kept watering that little patch, for 4 years, but last summer we just gave up on it--using WAY too much water for the little bit of grazing they got from it (hand grazing about 30 minutes, twice a week).
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 10:30:59 am »

paWalker - are you adding separate E or is it in your horsetech grass supplement?  I fed that for some time and got away from it when I changed to a pelleted feed...but I might go back...
NC

PAWalker

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 12:10:40 pm »

Loneelk,  I tried the human gel caps years ago and quit -- I was told to puncture the gel caps and drain the liquid in to the feed pan.  That turned into a big PITA:(

I hope the Santa Cruz Vit E works -- let us know:)

kckc,  I am adding an additional 2,500 IU Vitamin E, along with Horse Tech's grass supplement:)

https://horsetech.com/equine-supplements/selenium-vitamin-e-antioxidants/vitamin-e-supplements

Some of the things I have read seem to indicate an extra 3,000 IU for certain horses is ample.  I give my horses one of the enclosed scoops daily (in the Vit E container), plus whatever is labeled on the High Point vit/min supplement and it seems to be enough.

WHOHOO!  My picture posted!  This is Joker, my IR horse that has been in remission since 2015.  This pic was taken August, 2018 on his 23rd Birthday.  He was not on the added Vitamin E at this time; I started him on it after I saw how it helped my other horse with his itching in the hopes it might do something for his hooves since the biotin I had him on was not helping as much as I thought it would -- especially for the money it cost.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:26:17 pm by PAWalker »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up