Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cattle Drive!!  (Read 78 times)

Slades housekeeper

Cattle Drive!!
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:22:22 pm »

So today my TWHx, Slade, and I helped some friends move 45 cow/calf pairs to a new pasture.  3 hours of fun, with 1 minute of mild terror.  It was just above freezing, so he was feeling pretty fresh to start.
After a half hour he settled in, but boy...the flat walk!  My partner was on a 16 hand arab cross, and he said "you know, I don't usually have a problem keeping up with other horses!".  But he laughed at one point because Slade was going from a flat walk, to a step pace, pace, trot, canter, and then would start all over again.  I told him to pick a gait and stick with it.  May even had our elusive running walk in there for a few strides.
The mild terror came just at the end, when a steer didn't want to join the rest of the cattle in the new pasture.  Margaret moved her (13.2 hand) Welsh up to push it along, but he stood his ground.  Mexican standoff..so it ended with the steer pushing at her horses hindquarters, and she came off.  Cow decided not to go after Margaret, and horse took only a few minutes to catch.
This was the second time I've taken Slade to move cattle.  He was raised on a cattle farm, so it's nothing new to him.  But we had tons of fun, and good times, and only had the herd stray off the road twice, so that's not too bad for us.

kckc

Re: Cattle Drive!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:14:22 am »

that sounds like incredible fun !  other than the terrifying moment. ...any pictures??
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 05:52:36 am »

The steer is when you need a good cattle dog to help!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:53:39 am »

Sounds like a great adventure!

ponymare

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:26:15 pm »

Sounds like a cool adventure, up until the part about the pushing match!
Pages: [1]   Go Up