Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whether or Not to Ride the old.Horse  (Read 95 times)

fargos handmaiden

Whether or Not to Ride the old.Horse
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:11:06 pm »

Sorry, felt I needed to break this into two posts.

Regarding Fargo again!

At the recent horse trailing seminar, Speedy was.a complete J.A.!!!! So I am just going to have to put him back in training. That leaves me horseless for rest of good riding weather unless I bring Fargo back out of the mothballs. It is that lordosis that drives me crazy and makes me feel like I am doing him more damage. He still lopes, not all-out gallop across pasture with other two, but he seems to spend more time at barn when other two go way out in pasture to eat grass. Also he is.sensitive in back left leg for farrier. We concluded he has arthritis in that leg. Last year I asked my regular vet to look at that leg. Well, he just eye-balled it for a.second.and concluded it was arthritis. I thought if I did.pull him out of retirement, I would have to ride.with the slow.group (ugh!!) and let Robert go with the fast group. Would you all even consider taking a 26 year old horse trail riding with one leg arthritic(??) and the  lordosis I don't want to do anything to cause him more harm. He does seem disappointed when we leave him behind. This is a horse that loves to go to new trails.

Interstingly, they lent me one of their horses.second.day. it was well behaved but to me, heavier in the mouth than any of my horses have ever been. I just wouldn't want a horse like.that either.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:36:22 pm by fargos handmaiden »

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Whether or Not to Ride the old.Horse
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 05:57:40 am »

Age....not a problem.
Sore leg, maybe a problem.
Lordosis, definitely a problem.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:53:20 am »

agree with Kysa - at his age also he'd need to be legged up slowly if his health and leg were in good shape  :-(
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:54:35 am »

Thanks, all. So sad. I miss him as my trail buddy spook bad. But I think you all are right.

Walkin45

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:04 am »

I would not. He deserves retirement. 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:02:40 pm »

Connie, my heart goes out to you. Yes, Fargo needs to enjoy retirement now. I don't know a lot about lordosis, but I would think this would be quite painful for him, especially if he has other arthritis as well. I wish somebody had a "loaner" for you to ride while Speedy gets the training he needs.

And on the subject of Speedy, are you sure he has the temperament you need in a horse? I hope this training helps you sort that out. Is he a Paso Fino...I'm trying to remember.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 02:15:19 pm »

I don't know, Stablemind. He really made leaps.and bounds on doing better, I thought, last 2-3 times we rode with same bunch at this same park.Big part of problem is being consistent with him. And try as I might,I can't with other distractions/responsibilities. We didn't ride.at all during hot summer.

He was a crow-hopping fool starting out at this training seminar. This was just leaving camp. We weren't even to forest edge.yet. Depends on who you ask. These two trainers said he looks like.a.spotted saddle.horse and that he.racks. Anyway because he.acted so bad, trainers told me to take him back and.that he needed 30 days.training. Not sure I would choose.those two or not.though. It was humiliating and hurtful. I thought purpose of.going to training session was to get help with horse's problems. Have really reached the point that I don't.enjoy trail riding because he is unnerving.at.times. Other times he is a.load of fun. The things he has over Fargo is that he is.forward-going, never need a quirt or spurs. Like Fargo, a.really responsive.mouth.  And this time around I wanted a small horse.with a.big engine. That, I got! Boy, did I! Problem, besides being tremendously buddy sour.to Moonshine, who could care less.about him, is.the.crow-hopping.and.twirling. Shen I was younger, I would have hung in there dogmattically till we cured the problems. I am not that brave anymore and he knows it, I suppose. We scoured area.and at time, could.not find a small gaited horse that met our criteria.

Another big part of problem, not his.fault, he.just.isn't.Fargo. No horse can ever take his place.   

Interestingly, they lent me.one of their horses second.day. it was well behaved but heavier mouthed than any horse.I ever owned. I wouldn't want one like.that either.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:39:38 pm by fargos handmaiden »

kckc

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 02:48:48 pm »

Oh I hate that he was doing all that !  I don't find that fun at all.   Not sure where you're located but find a good trainer that is kind to the horse and will also train you with the horse.  I hear good things about the paso trainer but can't remember her name (Nola Ranch or something)… and I'm intrigued by Michael Gascon and his training techniques.    The main thing for me, when I had some training done with my horses, was that I needed to be trained along with whatever was being taught to the horse.  I also needed the horse to be exposed to trail rides or groups or new things.  Just doesn't do much good for them to learn things in a ring if they don't learn to handle that training with all kinds of things going on.    Don't get hurt.   And don't be embarrassed - horses do bad things sometimes. 
NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up