Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upping the roughage  (Read 120 times)

bewerking

Upping the roughage
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:38:23 pm »

Yesterday the vet found a high residue of sand in my horse's manure. We are starting psyllium supplementation immediately but would like to hear what other sources of roughage you have found effective for prevention.  I was told to give him a cup of wheat bran per day but haven't found a source for this. He currently gets 14 pounds of hay a day and we will be upping it to 16, but what else?

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Upping the roughage
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:28:59 am »

I've heard of people feeding chia seeds to their horses, but not sure how much/where they get it.  We use a commercial pelleted psyllium product for our horses, BUT about 3 months ago, Gunner decided that he was NOT gonna be eating that stuff any more, so I'm looking for other options at this point.  I'll be following this thread w/ interest.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:46:24 am »

I've read that ground flax works very well to clear sand and prevent sand colic. It's high in omega 3 fatty acids. It's also good for hooves and makes a shiny coat.

bewerking

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:34:21 pm »

I had routinely been supplementing with ground flax to do just that. Not sure if I can discount the flax--I intend to continue using that-but we still have a real issue with sand accumulation. Thank you for your reply because it helps to know that others have found effective.

oncidium

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:02:32 am »

Beet pulp.  Lots of roughage there.

O

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 03:31:51 pm »

Yes- beet pulp! Rehydrate it so they also get more water into their system!

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

bewerking

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 11:27:45 pm »

Yes, I've heard three votes so far for beet pulp!Two from this forum and one from a knowledgeable horsewoman. Thank you all!

oncidium

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 07:17:14 pm »

Wheat bran leaches calcium from from horses. 

Long gone are the warm bran mashes. We thought they were beneficial and the horses loved them.
I

this was in the late 80’s early 90’s. it was found out it leached the calcium.

Beet pulp shredded can be fed wet or dry. Pelleted beet  pulp should be soaked only because it is hard for a horse to chew.  Pelleted can get an odd texture and not all horses will eat it. Best rougage is shredded.

Beet pulp is considered a hay, not a grain. It can be fed up to 30% of a horses daily forage. It may be more, I forget that stats on it. But could find out. It may be as much as 60%. It used to be posted on endurance dot net. But the site has changed and may be hard to find again.

O

Pages: [1]   Go Up