Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: s-shanked bits?  (Read 230 times)

bearxfoo

s-shanked bits?
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:26:03 pm »

can somebody who is knowledgeable tell me about s-shanked bits? i've been googling but i get a lot of conflicting information (whether or not they're more severe then a regular shank). i recently bought this bit: https://www.sstack.com/western_bitscurbs_mullenlow-port/fes-bit-western-jointed-portroller-mouth/ rode my boy it in for a bit and couldn't tell if he really liked it or not. he was a little excitable as it was feeding time, going to try tomorrow during the day and see how he does.

im struggling with bits with him because he puts his tongue over a regular O-ring snaffle. he's obviously looking for tongue relief.

he responds better in a shank then a O or D ring, i've been using the robart pinchless bit with a high port (https://www.sstack.com/western_bitscurbs_mullenlow-port/robart-pinchless-jointed-bit-long-shank-medium-port/) and i feel like the port is too high, and the shanks are too long. he doesn't need that much severity? i'm afraid the port is bumping him in the roof of his mouth. he's a pretty good boy and haven't had any major issues with him wanting to not listen (no bucking, bolting, rearing, refusing commands, etc).

just at a loss for bits with him. i also tried https://reinsman.com/shop/bits-all/rockin-s-_-raised-snaffle/ i really liked the port height but he seemed really stiff in it. didn't really want to turn or bend.
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Gus, 7 year old TWH gelding
Sol, 13 year old TWH mare
RIP CJ. April 1986 - April 10th, 2018. CJ was 32.

"Confidence is built on the back of a horse"

Walkin45

Re: s-shanked bits?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 04:54:12 am »

What bit were they using on him when you bought him. ?  I’d stick with the same.

Pasolady

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 05:14:24 am »

My spotted walker, Ace, has a severely scarred tongue where it was nearly torn off.  When I discovered that I knew then that was the reason he was kind of fussy with some bits I tried, he couldn't take the tongue pressure from some.  I contacted Mr. Myler by recommendation from a friend and he told me to use the MB33 mouth piece and seven inch flat shank, but I also got the shorter four inch shank, and he works very well on both.  The bit I have is this one from their site. https://www.toklat.com/Products/BP/89-6233

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:18:31 am »

We have had very good luck with the 2nd Generation Imus Comfort Bit. Take a look at the Video on their site. Whether or not you buy their bit, it is good information!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

bearxfoo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 07:39:49 am »

He was ridden in an o-ring snaffle but he puts his tongue over that bit, so can't use what he was ridden in.

Myler also told me to use the MB33 but the port seems so high? Maybe I'm looking into too much.

I have an Imus bit that I tried on him but he immediately put his tongue over that, too. :( It's Sol's bit and she does fantastic in it but Gus, not so much.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:50:14 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 07:53:00 am »

The MB 33 was made to match the shape of tongue and palate for most horses.  It exactly fits over the tongue and under the palate.  It should just rest there and give zero signal until you do something with the reins.  It is Mylers most gentle mouthpiece, and also my best selling bit by far.  For two of my horses, that is the only mouthpiece they have ever been comfortable in.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 07:53:23 am »

Are you fairly close to Tom's? I think he let's you "rent" or try a myler bit and if it doesn't work return it. At least if you're close it's worth asking.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

GloriousJourney

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 04:00:19 pm »

I've ridden my last couple horses in a Myler bit with the MB33 mouthpiece. I have one with the 7" shanks, and one with kimberwick/uxeter rings, that uses a curb chain. Both horses have gone very well with them. My horse that I lost two years ago hated any type of snaffle, and bits that offered no tongue relief. He went very softly and well with the MB33 mouthpiece.
Lesley in Jupiter

bearxfoo

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 06:03:40 pm »

Today I tried him in a Myler MB06 (or maybe it was an MB04?) and he seemed to do really well in it. It was the longer 7" shanks but he seemed to respond very well. I keep thinking he doesn't need the longer shank but maybe I'm wrong. After all, he'll tell me what he's most comfortable in, right? He didn't put his tongue over this bit so I'm happy with that.

A trainer I've worked with often rode him in both bits and liked him better in the Myler.
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

luvmysmh

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:10:55 am »

Can't say enough about Myler bits.  I tried soooo many bits with Wish when I first got him.  None of them worked for long.  Finally called Mylers and spoke with Mr. Myler.  Can't remember off the top of my head now what mouthpiece it was he recommended, but I know that it worked like a charm, and I will keep him in it forever!!

Wishbone has a thick tongue and low palate.

Walkin45

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:21:04 pm »

I sold all mine. But I still have a S shaped shank hack for sale.

bearxfoo

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:44 pm »

well ..... rode him the other day, he got a bit worked up, and for the first time since I started using it, he put his tongue over the bit. :| So now I'm not sure what to do.
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

vruste

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 08:54:06 am »

There are a couple things you can do to teach them to keep their tongue in the right place.  One is to lower the bit a hole or two.  Let them stand and work on it for a while.  This teaches them to pick up and carry the bit properly.  You don't want to jump on and ride right off with it this way....they need time to work the bit and process it.  Some people will leave it in for the better part of a day even.  Another option is moving the bit up a hole or a half a hole.  Sometimes this is enough to stop the behavior.  Many times it's just fidgeting and habit, not necessarily an indication of discomfort (especially if you've experienced it with several styles of bits).  It could be more a position in his mouth...some horses prefer a little higher or lower placement.

As to your original S-shank question, the S shank isn't so much providing more leverage as it is keeping the shank out of the way of a horse that might like to play.  That and some people like the look.  The leverage is really based on the distance from the rein end to the mouthpiece, combined with the distance from the bit to the headstall.

Walkin45

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »

Imus bits are known to fall apart.

bearxfoo

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:08 am »

I ordered the MB33 for Gus, with the HBT shanks. Hopefully the last bit I need.....
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Pages: [1]   Go Up