Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: saddle fit for donkey questions  (Read 88 times)

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
saddle fit for donkey questions
« on: October 02, 2018, 07:45:33 am »

Hi, my son and daughter-in-law have a donkey and were thinking of starting to work with their 4 year old son in learning a bit of riding on it. I've only seen this donkey once and he's small and very gentle. I think he was ridden in the past but not sure. How do I go about looking for a child's small saddle that will work for a donkey? Anything different than if it was a pony? I have no idea how to get started. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: saddle fit for donkey questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:26:51 am »

Donkeys are very fall backed, no rock, and are pretty much the angle from withers to loin.  It is unlikely a child’s western saddle will fit him.  I would recommend an English leadline saddle with moveable closed cell foam panels that Velcro on.  I will take a photo of mine.  Hard to get, no longer made, but look for one.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:36:58 am »

Thanks Kysa. I was afraid fitting could be a problem. Not sure DIL would like this but heck I'll ask. Bet you a dollar she'll go out and buy a pony instead .. I advised her to start with the donkey since the kids already are used to him and he to them. I felt safer at their age. Now I have something to look into.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:20:20 pm »

Kysa, Wintec has a kid's saddle like you describe. Velcro panels as well. Closest thing I can find.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 03:33:08 pm »

Yes, wintec carries one and I am a wintec dealer.  The one I have is an old shires brand and it is fake suede.  The Wintec is okay, kind of a stickier smooth synthetic, but for younger riders I like the suede.  If you could send me a wither tracing, I can look at the one western kids saddle I am not using at the moment, see if it might work.

Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:15:38 am »

That's a very generous offer but seems like she doesn't think a back mapping is needed. Her reasoning is because the boys will only be on lead line and they don't weigh a lot, that there will be no pressure on the donkeys (or a pony if they go that way) back. I am willing to pay for the Wintec as a combined early xmas gift to both boys but only if she agrees this is the way to go .. and NO I did not tell her I'd pay yet. If I did she'd ok it but if she didn't really want the saddle she'd never use it and she'd go out and buy anything she liked the looks of. I am not willing to pay out money to have the saddle tossed in a corner somewhere and go to waste. Sorry, some of that sounds like a vent but I spent a lot of time yesterday looking into all of this and trying to give her the logic of fitting a saddle but just seems like a lot cause. Again, thanks for all your knowledge, and GHS as my safety net of information.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 08:36:52 am »

This western saddle MIGHT work, but I would have to have a wither tracing.
Sure the kids only weigh 40ish pounds, but that is actually a lot for a mini animal.  So it will definitely have 40 pounds of pressure on its back.  Lola is a mini horse, and I make certain she has a saddle that fits when 35 pound Aria rides her.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 08:45:57 am »

Aria riding Lola.  She is about 37 inches at the withers.  And a narrow build.  Aria is about 37 pounds

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:51:40 am »

I'll see what I can do. She was going to talk to my son last night and get back with me on what they (she) decided but haven't heard anything. Are you selling this saddle or loaning it out? If selling PM price. Again, I'll do what I can for the wither tracing.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:19 am »

Chris....I don’t know.  And I paid $75 for it, but it came with stirrups leathers.  The stirrup leathers are too weak, and I replaced with dog collars...which works easier to change length anyway.

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 02:28:08 pm »

I just don't want you to sell something you might think you'll use someday. I told my son I would not buy a western saddle without a wither tracing so we'll see what happens. They didn't talk much last night because she had an emergency. I know one of her "fears" is there is no horn if they need to grab it ... no comprehension the strap in there for that very reason. She barrel raced as a teen and is fixated on horns. I know you and I are on the same page about the back mapping but she is always right and the world is wrong LOL I'd pay you the $75 if that is your price .. but only if we can determine his shape. Oh, and now I hear donkey has something wrong with a hoof. I think he's old. I try to instill this is just for now and when old enough to ride a pony then go to the western saddle .. one boy turns 2 Saturday the other is 4 in December ... neither needs a real pony to really ride yet ... geez. Maybe I should suggest a mini and really get them confused!!!!!!!
Chris, S.W. Michigan
Pages: [1]   Go Up