Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas for round bale feeders  (Read 83 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Ideas for round bale feeders
« on: September 20, 2018, 04:56:08 pm »

I need some ideas for round bale feeders.  I feed in Hay Chix nets, but need something to keep the horses from stepping on the bale once it is eaten down.  And....I have to be able to do it alone as one 60 year old wimpy Lady.  Commercial steel round feeders are way too heavy.

So....I have a 390 gallon round water tank that leaked, so I cut most of the bottom out of it.  I lay my net in it and drape over the sides, then drop the bale in with the skid steer.  This works well, but I am not buying a new tank to cut out the bottom, and have not found one that is leaking for cheap.

I have cut pallets about 2.5 feet high and tied together kind and of like a snake.  I may have to do some of those again.  I have bent hog panels in a circle, but the newer ones available seem to have sharp edges.

Anyone else have a brilliant DYI idea???
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

Re: Ideas for round bale feeders
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 06:47:36 am »

hay huts are not cheap and while they show them being pushed and tipped by women I didn't find it that easy - without a tractor they are not much fun or when stuck in the mud
I have a plastic ring I use.   It came in pieces which I put together and it is not hard to flip over hay, but not super easy either if you have to have the large size - I do like that it is a solid piece of plastic because my horses play footsie with things.  https://agiproducts.com/products/hay-rings/adjustable-hay-ring
Southern STates here has a rubber looking round bale holder but it's tubular which looks like it ought to be easy to flip over
I am having a feeding shed built hopefully this month.   it basically is a shed roof that is situated over an opening in my fence.  They are cordoned off from the fence opening which is where I can put a roll or feed and then they stand underneath the roof to eat.   The one attached is similar but mine will extend over the horses to each side and the end.   
NC

ahmenti

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 06:47:58 am »

There is a thing called Bale Barns that sell for 850 that say they can be handled by one person.  They are just 1 piece; I think if you don't have the net made into them then they are cheaper.  They have 8 areas for horses to eat the roll out of.

One dealer is about an hour away from us.  Thinking about investing in one.

Kim

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:20:28 am »

I am considering buying a bale barn, but they are actually big and heavy.  I would buy it next summer.  I need DYI ideas for this winter.
I made one with pieces of two metal futon frames.  I will have to take a photo.  So far, that is working well.  Mostly, I need to think outside the box.....
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

vruste

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 08:11:14 am »

For my minis I made a feeder out of some scrap lumber...mine is just a square of a 2x12 on the bottom and a 2x4 or 2x6 on top with a space between and scraps of 4x4 posts for corners....of course you'd need a couple extra boards for full size horses.  It is big enough though I can set a round bale in it if I want to.  A little more solid than the half-pallets and no nails to work their way out.  In this case you'd just set the bale into it instead of setting it over the bale.  I'm planning to do something similar for the donkeys & barney only with a roof on top to keep rain off their bale.
Pages: [1]   Go Up