Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Moldy Tack  (Read 258 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Moldy Tack
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:25:38 pm »

It's been hot and muggy for weeks and I've got a bunch of moldy tack to show for it.

I would like to hear what works best to clean moldy tack and especially to prevent the mold from recurring. I'm hoping my friends from the south have some great tips to pass along.

Walkin45

Re: Moldy Tack
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:50:52 pm »

I just rub off with towel.

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:16:38 pm »

You could try a mixture of vinegar and water and then clean it good.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:48:00 am »

Thanks, TN! One of the moldy saddles is a Tucker I bought used this spring. It started getting moldy right away so I washed it with a vinegar solution and really let it soak in. The only place it came back soon was the stirrup leathers so I thought I might just replace them. But now I see mold on the skirting also.

I know mold can break down the leather fibers and once it gets started it tends to come back. It's easy enough to wipe off so what I wonder most is how to prevent it from coming back.

Hopefully I'll have a few hours for tack cleaning this week.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:50:17 am »

I have often cleaned moldy saddles that are brought in on consignment.  But this year, I have gotten some mold on my own saddles. 

I do light cleaning to get all the mold off, then spray with vinegar, let that soak in and dry.  Then I do a deep cleaning of the leather.  I honestly don’t know how well this works long term, as I sell the saddles.  But this year, I have a couple headstalls that got pretty moldy.

For my personal Tack shed, I bought those cans of white pellets that are supposed to pull moisture out of the air.  I do hope that is helping, as once again it is pouring rain....just like all summer long.  We have too much water everywhere, but I really don’t need it in my tack shed air.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

oncidium

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:20:36 am »

I also wipe with a clean dry towel.  If it is dirty then saddle soap, then oil it if it needs it.  To avoid mold store leather tack inside the house.  I do that.

I don't think I would use vinegar on leather. 

I keep all tack clean, oiled, stored in a dry ventilated area.  I have seen nylon halters mold, and just clean and dry them well. 

O

From deep south

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:44:44 am »

Laura...found under things I would NOT do.  I found a video from a Tack store owner who recommended using a can of Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner.  NOPE, not giving that one a try!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

PAWalker

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:08:17 am »

When I lived in Ohi and PA, I always used liquid Murphy's Oil Soap and warm water, plus a toothbrush if the saddle has tooling.

Far as keeping the mold off --- wipe the saddle down frequently, I guess.   I have a classic car that has stayed under wraps, in the garage or workshop for many years.   The carpet would get moldy in spots -- Lysol spray solved that but I'm not sure I'd want to spray Lysol on a saddle.

My saddles now stay under wraps in the attic and don't get moldy.  They don't dry out from the attic heat either.

kckc

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 02:12:49 pm »

I used to have  a trailer that I just let sit because I was too lazy to sell it... it was the freaking best for storage.  Just enough air flow I guess and in the sun so it stayed warm... I should have kept it to store things !   Anyway, in my house (closet area) I did not find that the damp rid pellets worked well and it was a pita to remove the water etc et.  I got a rechargeable type dehumidifier - plugs in, little pellets turn blue, then they turn pink when wet and you dry out again by plugging in for awhile.  Worked pretty good.  I use that now in the bathroom during humid months and I have a dehumidifier in the closet.   In the horse trailer I do not seem to be getting any mildew or mold so air flow or something is right... I also don't have leather for the most part which might help.
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 06:22:43 pm »

When I cleaned the moldy saddle this spring, I used Murphy soap and vinegar. I can't remember which order I did it or if I mixed them together. ???

My saddle is the only one with no mold on it and I also keep it in the horse trailer.

doubtndeb

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 08:38:20 pm »

Down here in humid Louisiana I spray on vinegar let it dry then clean and oil the saddle, it will keep it away for a few months.

Debbie

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 04:32:39 am »

Well, I was hoping for a magic permanent mold-removal potion, but at least I know I'm on the right track. Thanks for the tips, GHS Friends.

oncidium

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 01:42:23 pm »

Only way to prevent mold in my experience is to keep it in the house when not in use.  If the tack WAS moldy, storing in a house will prevent it from ever coming back. 

I use these only products these days.  Works for me.

Fiebings Glycerine Saddle Soap
Effax Leather Balsam

and on occasions

Fiebings Neatsfoot Oil

I keep the glycerine in an old Fiebings metal canister which USED to have saddle soap in it.

On occasions when I have to really oil leather I put vinyl gloves on, hang the saddle or bridle on the fence and really oil it so oil drips practically.  I do the same with the Leather Balsam.  Vinyl gloves and put the saddle or whatever on the metal fence and go to town.  I put a black bag under it so it doesn't get on the fence and the fence doesn't damage leather.  If need be I oil on the ground with the black plastic.  Oiling and using the leather balsam(which smells awesome) takes the squeek out of a saddle or bridle.  I use the leather balsam also on leather shoes, boots, and belts.  Smells devine!  But most importantly it works 

This works for me. 

I have found here in the south I have to do more leather care than I ever did in Seattle. 

Do whatever works for you.

Spare bedrooms are a great place to store your tack.  Right now my saddle is in my closet.  My bedroom closet.

O

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 04:34:29 am »

LOL, Oncidum…I do keep a saddle in the guest room and it's because it has a tendency to mold.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:23 am »

LOL, Oncidum…I do keep a saddle in the guest room and it's because it has a tendency to mold.

Yes, we keep all saddles in the house when not using them. Can't imagine keeping them in the trailer or outdoor tack room. I have friends that keep their saddles on the racks in their trailer and yes, they always have mold.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up