verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feed suggestions  (Read 203 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
feed suggestions
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:03:41 pm »

I realize most suggestions I get will not be readily available.  I would actually become a dealer for something I could agree with.
I need a feed with REAL INGREDIENTS, not "grain by products".  Actually, I would prefer no grain ingredients at all.
Anyway, make some suggestions so I can research them.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: feed suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:45:10 pm »

Are you looking for a feed with calories or just to balance vitamins and minerals?

I've been considering Barn Bag for a new ration balancer. It would be for Halle and Lacey and the others would get Blue Seal Sentinel Performance, which is what I've been feeding Rusty and Babe for a while now.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »

Actually I want both.  A feed for calories and a feed for a ration balancer.

I really like Total Equine, but the nearest dealers are individuals, not businesses.  It  is so hard to coordinate to pick it up and the round trip is 75 miles.  But Total Equine rejected me as a dealer as they have a limit of 60 miles.

I will continue to use Total equine until I have a better option.  But with babysitting Aria, getting her to pre school, caring for my dad when my mom is out of the house, running the Tack store and the horse motel....well a 75 mile trip for horse feed is not reasonable in my life.

I need a feed with Calories for Lola and Solo.  I need something to feed with minerals for the rest of them.  And if said feed added a few of the needed minerals, all the better.
No added iron, and little to no added selenium.  We need copper zinc and a lot f magnesium.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 07:10:25 pm »

I have been happy with Progressive Nutrition... one of the things I liked was they do not mix horsefeed on mixers that have done cattle feed.  I use their Maintenance pellets for my older boys and the Ultimate Pro Add for additional amino acids.   I also had a very informed dealer at the time I looked into this feed.  I hear tribute feed is good but I have no immediate information.
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:03:42 am »

I feed Total Equine to one horse and had a lot of issues when I tried to switch him from it once. Fortunately, it is available at a feed store 20 minutes away.

I would suggest the Tribute line of feeds. I feed their Kalm N Easy to our other horse, on the recommendation of our vet. Tribute has a fairly broad line of products, including ration balances.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

misstux

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 08:25:01 am »

LMF doesn't have added iron

PAWalker

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:51 am »

What about EquiPride or something else from SweetPro?  Don't be mislead by the "SweetPro", they don't sell sweet feed.

I fed EquiPride for two years but 92 miles one way got to be too much of a drive, even buying enough product for four months :(

http://www.sweetpro.com/products-equipride.html

According to their dealer locator, there are a lot of dealers in South Dakota (if I'm remembering your state correctly :-\

riding the sun

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 03:52:16 pm »

I use Nutrena Topline for mine.  Concentrated to complement a hay only diet.  I feed 1 cup 2x a day.

My favorite trail is the next one

cruisinlight

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 04:39:21 pm »

I'm feeding my horse Crypto Aero http://cryptoaero.com/

oncidium

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 01:16:26 pm »

I have also fed Equipride for many many years.  Then figured out my RM mare was reactive to soy and flax.  So quit feeding it to her.  My competition endurance arabs loved and did great on it, and they looked awesome!

O

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 01:35:38 pm »

Be SURE to check iron content in any of the Equipride/sweet pro products.  IF, of course, iron is an issue in your area, as it is in ours.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Iceangel

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 02:37:18 pm »

Love Triple Crown 30 for my easy keepers. I feed 1/2 to 3/4 lb but they are Icelandic ponies.

kckc

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 05:02:26 pm »

did you know chewy . com ships horse feed
NC

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 05:11:13 am »

did you know chewy . com ships horse feed
I've put together an auto-ship for Rose that we get about every 3 months (mostly treats, but also if I decide to try a dry food that I can't get here).  I'll be checking in on chewy to see if any of what they stock could be added to our auto-ship.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 12:21:08 pm »

I think their standlee grass pellets are cheaper than my local price...
NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up