Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I bought a new horse  (Read 454 times)

bearxfoo

I bought a new horse
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:08 pm »

I decided that Sol and I are not a good fit. Even though I love her to death and have put so much sweat and tears into that girl, she's just not for me. So I went and found myself a gelding.

He's 7 years old, TWH, unregistered (but working on changing that). He is a real sweet heart. Very affection and kind. Let's me hold his face and smooch his nose. Loves being around people. He is confident, goes out alone, leads in groups, can be left behind or separate from the group without fuss. VERY smooth, great on the ground, no trailering issues.

Also uniquely colored, not sure what I'd call him?

Here's an album full of him! https://imgur.com/a/HFJkNuz
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Gus, 7 year old TWH gelding
Sol, 13 year old TWH mare
RIP CJ. April 1986 - April 10th, 2018. CJ was 32.

"Confidence is built on the back of a horse"

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: I bought a new horse
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 05:35:04 am »

Sounds like an awesome change for you!  LOVE his color too!  Congratulations!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

caglover

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 05:46:50 am »

VERY NICE!!!

luvmysmh

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 06:49:03 am »

He looks wonderful!  I love his coloring (whatever it's called).

After seeing you struggle for so very long, I am so very happy for you to have finally found the horse that you can enjoy.

Have fun - you deserve it!!!

Laurie

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:18:19 am »

Wow, he sounds nice! Love the training he's had. Keep us informed about how he turns out for you. Love TWHs....... :)

misstux

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:20:56 am »

What a nice horse!

Kalli

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 01:57:07 pm »

Wow! He’s a pretty one!  And there’s nothing like finding the right match!

Congrats! 😊😊😊

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:41:51 pm »

Wow, would love a horse that has that training.  Congratulations, many happy trails!.
MJ

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 07:42:02 pm »

Wonderful! Happy trails!
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

Pamela N.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:37 am »

What a beautiful horse!  He has a face that I just want to walk up to and kiss.  And the color is amazing.  Please let us know more about your adventures.
Pamela N.

gaitedappylady

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 05:17:54 pm »

He's absolutely lovely. Congratulations!
Rita, N. Texas

Have you had a kindness shown?  Pass it on...

bearxfoo

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 05:20:36 pm »

Thanks everybody!

Honestly, Gus is probably one of the sweetest horses I've ever met. I really dig him and I'm excited for our future adventures!
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Cashela

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 09:42:47 am »

He's beautiful. Congrats!
Jenn-New Hampshire

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 04:38:36 pm »

How did you find Gus? Would love to hear the story of 'finding Gus'!
MJ

bearxfoo

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 04:45:39 pm »

How did you find Gus? Would love to hear the story of 'finding Gus'!

It's actually not even that exciting.... I was just browsing FB and I saw his ad. I had actually seen it back in June or something, but I read the comments and saw his price and decided not to contact the owner (and also, he was in Alabama and I thought that was much too far). So I went passed his ad and thought that was that.

Then I tried arranging some meetups with some other horses and unfortunately, it was with flippers who did not honor their words. One I had set up to meet a mare, had a day and time and everything, but the next day her ad was marked "sold" because "somebody wired them money from California".  >:(

Then I tried bidding on a horse from Caleb Wilson and got pretty close to winning but would not up my price for a horse sight unseen.

I also tried out a horse at my barn as a lease option and I did not like him at all. It made me realize I need to ride a horse before buying it.

By this time I went back to looking at FB and Gus's ad popped back up in one of the groups. I decided that a good horse wasn't cheap, so I sent the guy a PM, and at first I thought it wasn't going to work out as he did not respond and when I asked him to call me, he did not. but I watched his videos like a hundred times (which can be seen here: https://youtu.be/QcYk2Wo01Rc & here: https://youtu.be/Mp9ShoXvyiw, I highly suggest watching them!!) and had really liked him, so I pressed on and eventually got to talk with the guy, set up a day and time and drove down there!

The guy who owned him was a very honest and kind man who insisted I speak with references on two other horses he had sold. I saw some people comment on his ad after I was driving down to Alabama and he was even honest then, saying he had a person coming to look at him and figured he would be sold by the weekend. He was very accommodating with us coming up from Michigan and even let us park my trailer at the ranch Gus lived at over night (he lived at a famous ranch in Muscle Shoals!). He met up with us early Sunday morning at a ripe 6am for us to get on the road, and has since kept in touch with me and answered my questions about Gus.

The day I went and rode him it was pouring rain, storming pretty bad but we went anyway and Gus was a rockstar. He did everything I asked of him without fuss, no testing me, no acting silly. I made sure to ride him out alone and I made the guy leave us at least 3 times while we rode to make sure Gus wouldn't throw a fit if separated from his herd. He didn't. I was also able to ride away from him down the trail which was awesome. We did some very difficult trails down there, very steep inclines, lots of rocks, water crossings, and gaiting/cantering and Gus did everything with ease.

I wish he lived closer as he would be a great resource but alas, he doesn't. But one day maybe we'll be able to ride together again.

So far I'm very happy with Gus, just frustrated currently about saddle fit. But Gus is a very sweet natured, kind horse with a good brain.

The ride home from Alabama was AWFUL. A 10 hour drive ended up being 14 hours and poor Gus was terrified. We got caught in traffic for over an hour because of an accident and it stormed most of the trip (https://i.imgur.com/9lXU0gv.jpg this was just outside of Nashville....). We got to my barn around 10pm and when Gus got off the trailer he was SHAKING terrified, I mean his whole body, shaking. He didn't poop the WHOLE DRIVE and I was scared he was colicing. But we put him in the indoor arena, got him lots of water and hay and even a mash of beet pulp and he started eating and drinking. He pooped overnight and then got settled into his pasture the next morning, where he instantly became boss, lol. But despite that awful trip, the next day I loaded him in my trailer for fun and he walked right in without a moments hesitation.

He seems pretty happy here so far but I reckon winter time will be a real test as Alabama never gets as cold as Michigan. Luckily I have CJ's blanket and I'm sure it'll fit him as CJ was just as small. I guess I just fit better with smaller geldings! lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:51:28 pm by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up