Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: saddle fit question?  (Read 147 times)

bearxfoo

saddle fit question?
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:09:49 pm »

Can somebody give me some opinions on saddle fit?

I bought a gelding who is shaped very differently from my mare. I'm trying to avoid buying a new saddle (mostly because I cannot afford it).

The biggest issue is that he is really uneven. Way built up on his left shoulder area. More normal on the right. Every saddle seems "ok" on the right, but extremely tight on the left. My CSI pad slips forward (which never happened with my mare). The sweat pattern just looks wet (doesn't have the normal dry line on the spine).

I've ridden him quite a bit and the only thing that I seem to notice is that he is reluctant to bend to the left. I also changed his bit, so I need to figure out if it's a bit thing or a saddle thing.

I have an album of photos with 3 different saddles with Steele trees in them: PW tree, LT tree, and a wide D tree. I want to stick with Dixieland, so this is all I have access too, and I can't afford fit forms yet from Dixieland (they're $250!).

Album: https://imgur.com/a/w9RVKuJ

Any opinion/advice would be great. I can't really afford a new saddle as I used my WHOLE budget on buying him (he seems worth it so far!).
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Gus, 7 year old TWH gelding
Sol, 13 year old TWH mare
RIP CJ. April 1986 - April 10th, 2018. CJ was 32.

"Confidence is built on the back of a horse"

Riderkat

Re: saddle fit question?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:43:38 am »

Wide D is a no. Way too much flare for big ass shoulders so that it dumps down in the front. That's a definite NO.

I think the PW is the better of the two remaining, but that's gut more than anything I can put in words. Can you add a photo of the LT sitting on him from the side? like the second photo of the PW. So we can see the whole thing? I think the LT is maybe a leeeetle too wide, and may sit down on him too much, though the flare seems ok.

gallatingal

Re: saddle fit question?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:10:40 pm »

I like the LT
Life is short, buy the pony!
Pages: [1]   Go Up