Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scary! Our First Attempt to Buy Hay This Dry Year  (Read 330 times)

fargos handmaiden

Scary! Our First Attempt to Buy Hay This Dry Year
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »

We just made.our.first.attempt to buy hay for.this coming winter.and.rest of.summer. We.called our source.from last year. He.said.he hasn't.even been able to bale any this year, pastures so dry. He said.this is.worst.he has ever.seen.

We.are having.to sell off goats we would.not.normally sell to try to controll feed bill. :-\

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: Scary! Our First Attempt to Buy Hay This Dry Year
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:31:06 pm »

Where are you located? The drought around here is very spotty. Where we live it is very bad. Our pastures are toasted. But, not 20 minutes from here pastures are green! Just a patch around us that has continually missed the rain for the past couple of months. But, there is hay to be had.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Laurie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 05:57:53 am »

Our rainfall here has been way above normal this year in my part of West TN.....had to mow and bush hog weekly to keep it under control. Our hay crop around here should be quite large. Where are you located? 8)

kckc

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:30:06 am »

we seem to have had regular and large deluges of rain in NC although I hear it has bypassed some areas.  But it also means the time for getting hay dried correctly is limited.   I hate drought
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:34:19 am »

Our rainfall here has been way above normal this year in my part of West TN.....had to mow and bush hog weekly to keep it under control. Our hay crop around here should be quite large. Where are you located? 8)

Laurie, we were having to mow twice a week and still falling behind up until about six weeks ago. Then, BANG, the rain just started missing us. Fortunately, our hay farmer is in the area that has gotten enough rain and his yields have been fantastic.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:17:08 pm »

There has been too much rain for hay making in my part of Ohio, and Western Ohio has drought conditions.
MJ

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »

Nobite

"Laurie, we were having to mow twice a week and still falling behind up until about six weeks ago. Then, BANG, the rain just started missing us. Fortunately, our hay farmer is in the area that has gotten enough rain and his yields have been fantastic."

Yep, I should have said we mowed twice a week too, but we are only doing twice a week around  the house and yard....just 3 or 4 acres.  The front and back pastures are only bushhogged once a week.  That's all we have time for!  I used to do all the mowing and bushhogging, but this year I have had some health issues and can't do it, so My husband is doing all the mowing.

My hay man lives right behind me and I know he has been cutting lots of hay this year.  We have not yet called for ours, as we still has some left from last year,  but our horse quit eating the old  hay this summer as there was so much grass.  We still put out a flake everyday just to keep his diet the same, but he just kind of kicked it around and didn't eat much of it. 

I guess we are fortunate to live in a part of the country that has adequate rain and a good growing season.  I can't actually remember ANY year when there was any kind of hay shortage here.

riding the sun

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 05:22:39 pm »

Extreme drought here.  We are almost 7" short for this year so far.  My hay guy baled some round bales June 1. He said there has been NO hay growth since then.   The fields are brown and dry.  Our pastures are dried up.  I am having to feed hay which I never have had to do unless there is snow on the ground. The farmers are all selling their cattle.  Can't feed them.
My favorite trail is the next one

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 06:02:20 am »

I have all the rain you should have had. My husband has 300 acres of hay he cannot cut because the ground under it is too wet to drive the tractor over it.  It is 3 feet tall and waving in the wind.  But it sits in the field and does no one any good.  At this point he is short of enough hay to feed his cattle over the winter. One of my fields for horse hay got rained on, so he is very happy I am giving that to him for cow hay.
I managed enough hay not rained on for my own horses this wonter. But I have several people I usually sell to. I have nothing yet for them. It needs to stop raining.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Slades housekeeper

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:25:51 am »

We are up in the middle of Canada....just go 1 hour north of North Dakota.  Our area is pretty dry.  First cut was about 2/3 of normal.  Only some are getting a second cut, and that's spotty...and only the alfalfa, the grass didn't grow enough to cut a second time.  But I know a few hours north of us was better.  Hay is in demand.  People are downsizing herds, and prices are going up. 
I normally turn my horses out into the back pasture in August/September, this year they were out the last week in June.  The front pasture couldn't support two horses.   

Kalli

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 04:13:38 pm »

We’ve had too much rain here. Where I board they’re not selling any hay yet so they can be sure to have enough for their horses and mine. 

Local schools have had to delay opening due to mold. ☹️

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 10:25:27 pm »

Timing! We got scared, things were so dry, hay so scarce, we panicked and paid the high prices on what was left...$83 a 4x5 round bale, boy did that hurt! Of course now we finally got almost 3 inches of rain, still less than surrounding areas, but pastures look pretty green and maybe one more cutting is possible. Not sure tho, with such a big shortage already, it would bring the price.down or.not much. Oh, well!

Forgot to answer your question. We are in central Texas.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:33:18 pm by fargos handmaiden »

luvmysmh

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:40:48 am »

We have the opposite problem.  It has been so wet this summer - just unbelievably wet.  In addition to cutting down on riding opportunities dramatically :'( we are very concerned about the possibility that hay has been baled wet and that dry hay will be hard to come by. 

I shudder to think of what the big bales will be like this season.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 08:35:48 am »

I finally....now in September have two cuttings aof big rounds and two cuttings of little squares in the barn.  This is the latest ever.  But at least I have it.  Not enough for my customers, but enough for me.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Laurie

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 09:22:53 am »

An update to my previous post about us having plenty of hay in this area of WestTN this year....when we finally called our hay man last week  to order our hay (he lives right behind us) and hubby asked how his crop had done, and he said that he was down several thousand bales that would normally be square baled for horses,  due to too much rain. When he was finally able to get the hay cut due to wet fields, He had to round bale a larger percentage of his hay (for cattle) that would normally be square baled for horses.   He has hay fields spread around in different locations and some were not affected as much as other fields.

He has plenty enough hay for us, and will deliver it soon so that's not an issue, but his horse hay is more limited this year than in the past due to the large amount of rain we have had this year. My observation I posted earlier of his cutting was of the acreage behind my house, which I heard him cutting and baling.  Some of his other locations were hit harder by rain.

Pages: [1]   Go Up