Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

On average, spring, summer & fall, how often do you ride?

Daily
- 0 (0%)
2-3 x week
- 11 (57.9%)
Once a week
- 4 (21.1%)
Every other week
- 0 (0%)
Less than twice a month
- 4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How often do you ride?  (Read 217 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
How often do you ride?
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:33:04 am »

Just curious how frequently everyone rides, on average across the good-weather months.
Karen

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: How often do you ride?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 06:39:31 am »

Different answers for different seasons of life...not the calendar.  A few years ago, I could have answered 2-3 times a week, some weeks more.  But as bad as I thought last summer was, this summer is worse. 
I must help care for my father who is definitely declining fast.  My mother is overwhelmed, so more and more falls to me.  As of 2 years ago, my parents live next door in a grandparent apartment.
And I still do so much with my grandkids who also live next door.
So, this summer with grandkids, my dad, terrible weather, awful mosquitoes, I am lucky to ride once a week.  I hope that changes, but I don’t know that it will.....
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

misstux

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:27:09 am »

When Strider was rideable I rode 5 times a week. Now that he isn't, we hike 5 times a week. Sarurday and Sunday longer hikes, Wednesday and Thursday 40-60 minutes and Monday 20 minutes just to stretch our legs. I am lucky in that the barn is right across the street from the trails

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:45:15 am »

Ace is about 2 hrs away, plus I am showing another horse at the barn.  That said I drive 96 miles each way to mostly drive horses.  Sam has spent most of the summer riding 5 days a week.

As for me riding is a bit harder as I age, but I am there for the driving, it's all good.
 I wish I had a horse here but it is what it must be at this point in my life.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

luvmysmh

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:23:21 pm »

Generally 2x/week for me - Saturday and Sunday.  However, this year the weather has been so crappy that I've actually averaged a lot less than that.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 04:01:38 pm »

For years, my dream was to retire and ride every day.   I retired last year.  So how much riding have I done this year??  In May I went on my only trail ride, for the year, so far.  I am trying to ride at home around the yard, up and down the drive and a little ways up and down the road, maybe twice a week in a good week.
MJ

Walkin45

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:45 pm »

Don’t hardly ever. Sad to say. I live directly on a 500 mike trail system. Don’t have anyone to ride with, travel with, camp with.

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 06:11:53 am »

I have not ridden a horse since last August I think.

Raylin

GloriousJourney

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 08:41:39 am »

Since I live in the tropics, my schedule is a 180 degree difference. I ride 3-4 times per week in the glorious winter, 2-3 times per week spring and fall, and maybe once a week, or less, during the scorching heat and humidity of a Florida summer.
Lesley in Jupiter

rainmaker

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 05:00:07 pm »

I rode 4-5 times a week until Nov. 2013 when I shut down for the winter.  Two months later, I was diagnosed with a malignant tumor in my left kidney and had surgery in May, 2014.  My surgeon asked me not to ride for at least six months.  My arthritis felt so much better at the end of six months that I extended the period of not riding by six months at a time and it is still going.  Rainmaker doesn't mind and I've not damaged my whole kidney by coming off a horse.  Did I love riding?  Absolutely, I trained horses for nearly 15 years after retiring from my real job, riding nearly every day.  Do I miss it?  Occasionally but we all reach a time when we need to change things in life.  I reached it and was forced to change.  Life happens and we just move on but I would ride again in a minute if it didn't hurt so much.

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 06:57:42 pm »

I was fortunate to ride my friend's 5 yo MFT for a bit at the obstacle clinic I helped put on last month. Before that she let me ride one of her other MFT broodmares in May up the dirt road she & her husband live on. That's it! Just twice this year. Maybe in a few years I can ride more when I get my 2 you mare under saddle.
Definitely a weird summer fer me.
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:37 am »

No where near enough as I would like to be able to do.  Steve is still working until Dec. of next year, so he gets home and doesn't want to saddle up and go for a ride.  We do numerous rides each year on a schedule basis, where we camp and ride with friends as well as 2 vacation trips per year.  If I had someone close to me that could ride with me, I would be able to go riding all the time.  But there is no one that is close and trailing out to ride, that we usually schedule several each year and camp.  But not as much as I would like ride for sure. And I will not ride alone.   Hopefully when Steve retires next year at the end of the year, we will do more riding around our home and have more time to do local rides.  We will see how it works out.

Jeanne

DancerandMe

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 05:08:05 pm »

Surprised by everyone’s answers. I ride year round, mostly indoors for now.  Get one lesson per week and my trainer does it over two days. Plus I often go another day to the barn, 25 minutes from me. I love my new boy Odin. He is slow and steady.  Once our new barn comes into being (barnowner buidling her own) I will ride more as there will be flat trails around the property.
Pages: [1]   Go Up