Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Completely not horse topic...orphan kittens  (Read 96 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Completely not horse topic...orphan kittens
« on: July 30, 2018, 06:42:56 am »

Yes, because my life is not busy enough babysitting grandkids, caring for my aging father, and trying to run a business, I now have orphan kittens and the grandkids insist we try to save them.  They are two weeks old, so we probably will.

What is the best option for cleaning poop off of them?  My method is to hold them under warm running water, but I cannot say the kittens like that method.  But they need cleaning.....
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Completely not horse topic...orphan kittens
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 07:47:53 am »

warm wet/damp washcloth or scraps of old towel.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

vruste

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:04:28 am »

I have 2 litters of kittens 2-3 weeks old if you want me to try surrogate mom'ing them....however, you have to take them back or help rehome at 8 weeks lol

otherwise young kittens need rubbing on the butt with a warm wet washcloth to stimulate bowel movements and clean them up.  At first the running water might be best to get you 'caught up' but you need to simulate mama licking after the initial clean up.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:12:12 am by vruste »

Laurie

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:21:31 am »

I used those cotton rounds that you buy in a tube for swabbing your face when I had to hand raise some pups. Dampened them in warm water to rub on them to stimulate the pooping. It worked and could be thrown away. I did not want to use cloth that I had to wash.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:17:49 am »

Definitely taking Val up on the possibility of a surrogate mom.  I just have enough in my life without this.
Right now, I have grandkids that are bottle feeding.  That is great, but grandma gets all the icky towels to wash, and have two a.m. feedings.

Yes, a surrogate momma cat would be best.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:46:14 am »

Thankfully, cats are terrible at math, and colorblind as well.
The orphan kittens are the small grey, the white, the calico, and the orange striped.
The mom in this photo seems to be okay with that.  My grandkids are terrified that Val will keep them....I PROMISED Val we will take them back as soon as weaned.
But for me, no more setting the alarm for 2 a.m. and bottle feeding kittens!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 08:01:40 am »

That is wonderful!  Orphan kitties are really not easy, and a surrogate cat mom is best!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Kalli

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 08:38:45 am »

Aw....😊😊😊

It’s great for your grandkids to get involved in helping these kittens. Of course, having a real mommy cat is best. But the next few weeks will fly by and the kittens will be back before you know it!

Will you be keeping them or have your grandkids claimed each?
Pages: [1]   Go Up