Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunburn on noses  (Read 190 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Sunburn on noses
« on: July 28, 2018, 06:25:24 am »

My new curly foxtrotter has a bald face, and his nose gets so sunburned.
He is currently in a flymask with nose protection that is supposedly UV protection as well.  He does not like it.
Any other ideas are welcome, as well as what to put on his nose to help heal it.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

vruste

Re: Sunburn on noses
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 08:28:39 am »

slather him with zinc oxide

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 09:08:08 am »

What Val said. That's what the lifeguards use.

There's a good chance the sunburn is from photosensitivity that he won't have all year long. I have never had horse a sunburn before late summer when the pastures are full of clover. Lacey is bald-faced and she does not sunburn unless she's been eating infected clover and then it's not an overall sunburn, just a couple scabby places. Also called dew poison. 

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:11:45 am »

I have been dealing with this most of summer.  Just want to get rid of the scabs.
Sigh.  Yes, I will buy zinc oxide.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:15:21 am »

My Appaloosa has a pink nose that sunburns.  I put suncreen on him every morning.  He actually seems to like it  -- it does help, if his goofy pasturemate doesn't lick it off.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 07:10:42 am »

So far, Solo does not like me putting zinc oxide on his nose....but then, he doesn’t like the fly mask either.  Lots of training/desensitizing for a young horse.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 02:08:28 pm »

LOL, my technique is to grab their face and smear it on before they get away. I think they don't like the fishy smell.

Kalli

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 09:17:10 pm »

My gelding has a long nose with ears fly mask on from April into November. He is a professional at getting it off. I’m not sure if it’s because he doesn’t like it or it might just be a game to him, knowing his goofy personality. Could also be itchy so he rubs it off...always in the same spot of his pasture. We just keep putting it back on and take bets how soon he’ll remove it.

He’s white faced with blue eyes so he’ll always be protected whether he likes it or not, so the game continues....😉. Guess it’s weird that he’s always cooperative about getting it put on. 🤔

Pamela N.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:04:30 am »

My horse Blessi has a wide blaze and pink nose.  I use children's sunscreen stick rollon (SPF50) on his nose.   Someone suggested the children's version since you can get brands that are less chemical based in case your horse eats it.

Several summers ago, I forgot to apply for a week and his nose looked just awful.  I felt so bad. 

Pamela N.

luvmysmh

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 06:48:07 am »

I use children's sunscreen also.  Wishbone doesn't mind that as much as he does the zinc oxide; I also think they're not crazy over the smell of it.  I have to put the screen on his nose and the bare skin on either side of his tail or else he gets sunburned and scabby.  I actually only put the sunscreen on about every other day through the summer and that seems to work well.  I tried a fly mask with the nose piece last year and he kept getting it off.  Then one time he got it off and I couldn't find it for weeks (he's in a really large pasture).  At that point, I gave up on it.  This year I've been using the fly mask without the nose piece and he's been leaving it on.  So, I really think it is the nose piece that he doesn't like.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 07:04:21 pm »

Yes, I think it is the smell.

Solo ripped of his mask today, tore the nose piece, and stomped on it.  I really don’t honk he likes the fly mask.  And he definitely does NOT like the zinc oxide, but I just have to put something on him.

I would love to have suggestions for sunscreen that horses LIKE.

kckc

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 06:29:46 am »

Kysa  I have a couple of recipes for making sunscreen that might work.  I'll look them up this evening and send you a couple.   
NC

vruste

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 08:46:28 am »

in my experience, the smell is somewhat objectionable but the biggest factor in their hate of it is just having anything on their nose--white nosed horses learn to protect their sunburned noses.  And usually by the time we think to put something on them, they are already tender.  I grew up with a white nosed arabian who burned badly at horse shows.  It's no fun to deal with.

kckc

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 12:27:14 pm »

This may be more work than you want to do but this is one of the recipes that I hope to try (trying to get away from chemicals especially in sunscreen).   Anyway, here's the page - recipe at the bottom along with some other sites to buy more natural sunscreen.   I wanted to try my own so I could add more or less of whatever I wanted.

https://wellnessmama.com/2558/homemade-sunscreen/

I did see this one advertised as a rollon type which some people liked better... for horses...    https://www.amazon.com/Raw-Elements-Eco-Stick-Sunscreen-SPF-30+/dp/B0067LRAYU/?tag=simplysunsafe-20
NC

oncidium

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 05:54:19 am »

I put whatever sunscreen which was waterproof on my Arab's nose a few days a week.  When it wore off I put more on.  In this picture he has on some stuff I bought by Ocean Potion.  It is blue and zinc oxide.  FUN!  Also you can tell if it is on or not.  Over time they get over having their noses coated in sun screen.  Takes time. It is no different than say bathing, or fly spraying or even haltering or bridling a horse.  I doubt a horse likes sun screen but some need it.  The alternative is sun burn which is painful and can get infected, and maybe skin cancer.  So there ya go. 

O

Pages: [1]   Go Up