Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Needle in a woods behind my house  (Read 201 times)

JMR - Scout and Cisco

Needle in a woods behind my house
« on: July 15, 2018, 06:40:08 pm »

I had my Boxer tied on a lunge line that I use to tie her up when we are busy and can't keep our eyes on her while she is playing out side.  Most of the time we walk her on a lunge line or if we are working outside where we can watch her constantly, we tie her on a lunge line.  Well she was tied out while I was working on weeds and such, and she got the lead over her head and off her back.  So, when I checked on her, she  was gone.  I called and called for about 5 min. when her and Kandi came out from the woods behind our land.  Kandi had taken off her new suit we had just bought her.  We had walked around there a some but couldn't find her new coat.  It was a nice one that when she pulled out of it over her head by bracing her self and backed out moving it over her head.  I was glad she didn't get chocked or hurt, but I was mad because the coat was brand knew and she lost it already. 

So, Steve and I finally took a walk out there again looking for it but could not find it on the trail or around the the bushes.   Then we walked down onto the dirt road heading towards home and Steve  found it hooked on a log just up on the little hill  about 20 ft.  off the road.  So, we are trying it again, making it a little tighter and watching her closer when she is out side on her lunge line.

Jeanne

riding the sun

Re: Needle in a woods behind my house
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 06:37:52 pm »

Sounds scary!  Glad she came home.  Can you use a harness instead?
My favorite trail is the next one

summerskyy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:49:19 pm »

Yes I agree==a harness is a better idea. If she gets loose again, you may not be so lucky to find her. The internet is full of lost dogs and cats--and so many are never found. Please try something like a harness, and be sure it's snug enough that she can't wiggle out. And while I think of it--also put a collar on (not tied up with it)--with her I.D. tags AND a bell, so if she does get away--hopefully you will hear her. Good luck!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 01:55:33 pm »

I have an escape artist and use a Thunder Leash on her that is the only thing that works.  Good luck
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:50:59 am »

That, is the thing.  The coat/harness is something that just goes over her head, and you have a cape  type thing that goes over her head and then her belly.  We fasten as short as we can with out having it too tight to be comfortable, and she just curls her body over front wards, and she puts her head down, then backs out of the coat.  We have tried to tighten it more, but you don't want too tight either.  The last time we put it on her, she was tied on the lunge line out side, and she was barking because Kandi, our 3 older Boxer was out of range for them to play,  and I wasn't gone more than 2 minutes before she had the suit off and chasing our other Boxer around the lawn. 

That was the last time I put it on her.  I just keep thinking that maybe as she fills out more, we might then be able to put it on her and tighten it up easier with out being too tight. 

So, for now, we have to keep a collar on her.  This crate is also a Air Plane crate, so there are not anything's that she can possibly get caught on.  The other crate we use at night is at the foot of our bed, and I feel she is safe since we are right there.  I don't like collars very well, since I had one of my other dogs before tried to get the collar off and got her teeth caught in the wire of the crate while trying to get out of the crate.  I cam home and the puppy chocked to death in her crate. 

So, if I have to put her in the crate while I am gone, I make sure her collar is off.  And I also have a better crate now.  This one is like a Air Plane carrier. Rather that a metal crate.  There should not be any way that she can chew her way out of this one or be able to get her teeth caught in any metal latches.   So, I feel safe putting her in there when I can't take her with me.  And most of the time, I do take the dogs with me anyway.  They don't mind sitting in the car waiting for me.  If a stranger came along and saw them in the back seat, Abby is such a chicken, that she would bark like crazy at a stranger.  Kandi is usually the more out going and would let some one pet her or try to steal her.

Jeanne 

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 07:36:53 am »

Well, the little brat puppy and Kandi walked down the driveway yesterday to get the mail with me. It is about 1000 ft. or more walk down, so of course the dogs came with me and were playing and having a good time, UNTIL they got down to the bottom of the drive way and I was still about 3/4 of the way down to the mailbox, and they shot under the wood horse fencing we have for the horses and flew across the pasture and into the woods on the edge of our property.  I had the shock collar on Abbi, so I pulled out the zapper and started to hit the zapper numerous times as they raced across the pasture and into to the wood,  I had hit the zapper numerous times and it didn't eve make her yip.  She was that far away that fast!!    She had to know that I was zapping her, but was biting the bullet to get out of range.  I was zapping her and she must know that if she gets far enough away at her full out race for the woods, that she was too far away to feel it enough to really hurt and come back.  And I was so MAD at her that she was lucky I didn't get a hold on her, because I would have punished her  badly.  So, now she is not let loose at all until she learns to listen, just like a little kid to deal with.  We will do our walk today, but miss Abbi will be on a leash and not able to run and play going down the driveway and back.

Jeanne 

Pages: [1]   Go Up