Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RM bloodlines  (Read 191 times)

luvfoxtrotters

RM bloodlines
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:05:32 pm »

Hi just wanting insight on RM lines which ones have the quietest temperament or best gaits any opinions on my mare bloodlines?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:21:02 am by luvfoxtrotters »

oncidium

Re: RM bloodlines
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:06:02 am »

Could you take a better picture. It is at an angle and I can’t see the names very well. My certified mare has some spicy/hotter lines. She isn’t hot. But the potential could be there. Every horse is an individual and we all know that.  But pedigree can give one an idea of temperament.

At a glance of what I can see there are some quiet good riding lines there. The old horse lines are great riding lines which is ultimately what you want in a rocky and what most people breed for.

O

luvfoxtrotters

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 05:22:01 am »

Hopefully better.

NoRegrets

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 05:55:37 pm »

I really can't help with your mare's bloodlines.  But we had a grandson of Vergeland Jake.  What a fun, with a capital F, horse he was.  Quite the amusing personality.  Always getting into some situation or another but always could make me laugh at his antics.  He was my husband's horse and my husband could care less whether he gaited or paced, he truly loved riding him.  I, on the other hand, tried to work his gait.  For him, that was a very slow rack.  I called it his "pitty pat" gait.  Smooth, but about the speed of a quarter horse's jog.  Above that, he paced.  Sadly, we lost him all too soon at the age of 17. 

Enjoy your new mare.  Rocky's are wonderful horses.  And please post pictures.
Debbie

luvfoxtrotters

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 04:17:24 pm »

Here she is with my daughters RM mare. We raised her from a weanling and I started her myself she is sweet, loves people, gaits great, wonderful canter but she fairly forward. I was hoping for a slightly more laid back horse and thought numerous times about selling her lol. I wasn’t sure which lines were calmer and if she is unusual for her breed.

Kalli

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:05 pm »

Precious Rock was my Rocky’s sire, so he had Kilburn’s CS  and Sewell's Sam in pedigree.  My gelding’s dam had KCS.

His gait was more of a stepping pace BUT it was very smooth.  I was a beginner and I didn’t have any experience with gait. Perhaps with more experience he may have gaited more in a four beat but as I said, he was really comfortable at a step pace. He went right into that gait and stayed in it without me having to keep encouraging him.

I wouldn’t say he was forward. He loved my friend/mentor but tested me again and again. I was not a confident rider back then and he may have needed a leader.

oncidium

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 10:20:35 am »

A step pace is an acceptable gait for a RM.  It is also quite smooth.  My mare will do the 4 beat and also can do the step pace.  Both are smooth, but I prefer the 4 beat.  Step pace is not a pace.  A step pace is a beat of 1-2 3-4, 1-2, 3-4.  4 Beat is a 1234, 1234.  Trot is 1-2 1-2.  Pace is 1 2, 1 2.

O
Pages: [1]   Go Up